Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bloopers, glitches, and silly stuff since Planetside1
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

 
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-05-12, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Sirisian
Colonel
 
Sirisian's Avatar
 
Re: Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage


Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Call it what it is, it isn't equal rights, it is more rights. Subtle but important difference, especially from the opposition's point of view.
This is interestingly enough the same logic that was used to block interracial couples. Very effective.

Speaking of this conversation, I was hanging out with some friends the other day. I never talk politics with any of them since we're all like minded except one of them who holds a complete ignorance is bliss viewpoint about anything. Anyway this friend turned to the rest of us and was like: "Did you see that Obama is supporting gay rights now? That's so wrong." I was like "and this affects you in what way?" and the person was like "I never thought of it like that. I guess it doesn't." and dropped the conversation. It made me realize how many people out there probably don't think about these topics at all. It reminded me of Tim Minchin's Storm story in that people can go their whole life like this.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-05-12 at 04:02 PM.
Sirisian is offline  
Old 2012-05-14, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant
 
ItsTheSheppy's Avatar
 
Re: Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage


That's a cool quote, Cutter. Anatole France. I wasn't even really familiar with him until just now. I need to get more culture.

Sobekeus, I am not trolling. You'd know it if I were trolling because my posts would be shorter and there would be a lot more ad hominem. I legitimately have a very hard time following your logic.

I think the reason for this is you have convinced yourself that your opposition to same-sex marriage is based not on bigotry but instead on reasoned logic. I think you only need look as far as the general reaction here to suggest that you may perhaps need to take a closer look at your opinions and from whence they have come. What you are saying makes little no no reasoned sense.

"Rights Equilibrium" is a term that makes almost no sense standing on its own. You say that homosexuals are looking for 'more' rights than heterosexuals. Even if that were the case, which is very much is not, how exactly would that be a bad thing?
__________________
Guru
ItsTheSheppy is offline  
Old 2012-05-14, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General
 
Baneblade's Avatar
 
Re: Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage


Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
I think the reason for this is you have convinced yourself that your opposition to same-sex marriage is based not on bigotry but instead on reasoned logic.
As I said before, I'm all for gay marriage.

What you are saying makes little no no reasoned sense.
*shrug* not everyone is into sociology.

"Rights Equilibrium" is a term that makes almost no sense standing on its own. You say that homosexuals are looking for 'more' rights than heterosexuals. Even if that were the case, which is very much is not, how exactly would that be a bad thing?
It is very clear, you just want to muddy it up to make it fit your perception of me. Everyone currently has the right to marry, gay or not. What is being pushed for is more rights (for everyone) on top of those. The rights to marry someone of the same sex. Whether gay or straight is not relevant. Everyone has the right to marry someone of the same sex and that is what I think many people fear... is that it somehow diminishes them and their fourth marriage.

Do you understand yet?
__________________
Post at me bro.


Last edited by Baneblade; 2012-05-14 at 10:53 AM.
Baneblade is offline  
Old 2012-05-14, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant
 
ItsTheSheppy's Avatar
 
Re: Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage


Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
As I said before, I'm all for gay marriage.



[snip]

Everyone currently has the right to marry, gay or not. What is being pushed for is more rights (for everyone) on top of those. The rights to marry someone of the same sex. Whether gay or straight is not relevant. Everyone has the right to marry someone of the same sex and that is what I think many people fear... is that it somehow diminishes them and their fourth marriage.

Do you understand yet?
Not really. I mean 'Everyone has the right to marry someone of the same sex and that is what I think many people fear... is that it somehow diminishes them and their fourth marriage' is a very oddly-worded sentence. Whose fourth marriage?

Are you for same sex marriage? Are you playing Devil's Advocate?
__________________
Guru
ItsTheSheppy is offline  
Old 2012-05-14, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General
 
Baneblade's Avatar
 
Re: Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage


Just because I strive to understand the position of people who stand opposed to my views, doesn't mean I am somehow less firm in my position. In many cases it is homophobia, in many others it is simply ignorance, and still others fear of change. There are multiple reasons to be against it just as their are to be for it. Is everyone that supports gay marriage gay? Certainly not. It's a silly conclusion just like the one where you must be a homophobic bigot to be opposed to it.
__________________
Post at me bro.

Baneblade is offline  
Old 2012-05-14, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant
 
ItsTheSheppy's Avatar
 
Re: Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage


Yeah, I love that. "What's to stop someone from marrying a turtle? Or Ice Cream?!"

Well, turtles and ice cream don't have legal standing and can't sign marriage licenses. That's a good start, and we can move on from there.
__________________
Guru
ItsTheSheppy is offline  
Old 2012-05-14, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage


In the strict sense it's indeed an "addition of rights", of course how it is defined by "equal rights" is by marrying not just someone of the opposite sex, which they indeed are capable of legally, but a person they love.



So is one of the things they fear... let's see... something that wouldn't influence one bit, but would still be possible... Hmmm. Polygamy? Group marriage? Commune hippies?
Figment is offline  
Old 2012-05-14, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant
 
ItsTheSheppy's Avatar
 
Re: Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage


Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Just because I strive to understand the position of people who stand opposed to my views, doesn't mean I am somehow less firm in my position. In many cases it is homophobia, in many others it is simply ignorance, and still others fear of change. There are multiple reasons to be against it just as their are to be for it. Is everyone that supports gay marriage gay? Certainly not. It's a silly conclusion just like the one where you must be a homophobic bigot to be opposed to it.
I would agree that you don't have to be a homophobe or a bigot to oppose gay marriage. You could also be religious, or ignorant.

I'm not sure there are many positive qualities that would make a person oppose it, however.
__________________
Guru
ItsTheSheppy is offline  
Old 2012-05-14, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage


What if they called it gayriage which by law would be the same thing? Technically it wouldn't be marriage, yet it would be.
Figment is offline  
Old 2012-05-14, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant
 
ItsTheSheppy's Avatar
 
Re: Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage


Originally Posted by Figment View Post
What if they called it gayriage which by law would be the same thing? Technically it wouldn't be marriage, yet it would be.
Separate, but equal?
__________________
Guru
ItsTheSheppy is offline  
Old 2012-05-14, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Sirisian
Colonel
 
Sirisian's Avatar
 
Re: Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage


Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
I would agree that you don't have to be a homophobe or a bigot to oppose gay marriage. You could also be religious, or ignorant.

I'm not sure there are many positive qualities that would make a person oppose it, however.
The problem with the religious standpoint is that their religious evidence is cherry picked out of many passages. Most of which are ignored through varying interpretations. This invariably leads to a defenseless bigotry which most religious people have figured out. It's one of the reasons why every Christian I know of eats pork even though it's listed as an "abomination" in the Bible. Or they use the defense that Leviticus and other passages in the Bible only pertain to the children of Israel which is a kind of complex interpretation. Needless to say the religious defense is more of a weak scapegoat for bigotry. It's akin to saying "I'm not intolerant, God is" with no justification.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-05-14 at 05:07 PM.
Sirisian is offline  
Old 2012-05-14, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage


Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
Separate, but equal?
Indeed.
Figment is offline  
Old 2012-05-15, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant
 
ItsTheSheppy's Avatar
 
Re: Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage


Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
The problem with the religious standpoint is that their religious evidence is cherry picked out of many passages. Most of which are ignored through varying interpretations. This invariably leads to a defenseless bigotry which most religious people have figured out. It's one of the reasons why every Christian I know of eats pork even though it's listed as an "abomination" in the Bible. Or they use the defense that Leviticus and other passages in the Bible only pertain to the children of Israel which is a kind of complex interpretation. Needless to say the religious defense is more of a weak scapegoat for bigotry. It's akin to saying "I'm not intolerant, God is" with no justification.
If you want to have some fun, ask a bible apologist to locate and identify the passages of the bible that outright forbid slavery. When he or she fails (there aren't any), point out all the ones that are for it.

Then ask: are we wrong, or is god wrong? Because there's a disagreement there.

And yes, there are pro-slavery passages in the New Testament so they can't even wriggle out that way. Jesus comes right out in favor of it.

That should provide a lot of leverage at cutting away any credibility the bible has as a moral guidebook.
__________________
Guru
ItsTheSheppy is offline  
Old 2012-05-15, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Warhound
Corporal
 
Warhound's Avatar
 
Re: Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage


Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
Text.
Incoming info graphic backing this fine gentlemen up. Sorry if this is pointless but just trying to help out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1332205278445.png
Views:	18
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	505  
__________________
"My stomach was making the rumblies that only hands could satisfy"

Actively participating in the role of devils advocate!

Last edited by Warhound; 2012-05-15 at 06:43 PM.
Warhound is offline  
Old 2012-05-18, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Warborn
Contributor
Major General
 
Warborn's Avatar
 
Re: Obama Gambles On Gay Marriage


This isn't a gamble. Right-wing conservatives won't vote for Obama because he's black and a Democrat. Him supporting gay rights doesn't make a difference to those people at all. I guess they'll be able to call him a ***-lover on top of "Obongo the Kenyan Muslim Socialist-nazi-communist", but that's about all that'll change. What this will do is help galvanize support for him amongst liberals who may be rather dismayed at how right-wing and conservative his Presidency has otherwise been, and maybe win him some independents.

Either way, there's no gamble here. The bigoted shitheads who think gays being able to marry is a bad thing are not going to vote for Obama one way or the other. This is a move that can only help Obama, and will be yet another empty promise he'll leave unfulfilled after the end of his second term.
Warborn is offline  
 
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 AM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.