PS2 Base Concept - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's whats for Breakfast.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-11, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: PS2 Base Concept

Originally Posted by MacTruckuLes View Post
and typwn did you use to run with 1stMI.
Yes sir I did. Also ran with Team Immortal, Enclave (short time), Sturmgrenadier (short time), and Blue Lions. Why do you ask?
Old 2012-04-11, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
MacTruckuLes
Private

< Magonis from 1stMi.

it also seems like SoE sponsored a concept art class at the art insitute in portland i found some other concept art but its actully not connected to the game. you can see them here http://ahumphres.drupalgardens.com/c...ign?page=0%2C0

Last edited by MacTruckuLes; 2012-04-11 at 11:21 AM.
Old 2012-04-11, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

< Magonis from 1stMi.

it also seems like SoE sponsored a concept art class at the art insitute in portland i found some other concept art but its actully not connected to the game. you can see them here http://ahumphres.drupalgardens.com/c...ign?page=0%2C0
Nice man! Haven't seen you in a really long time. If you're interested feel free to add me on any of these messengers (that goes for anyone really):

Raptr: Saieno
AIM: Saieno
MSN: [email protected]
GChat: [email protected]
XFire: typ0

And that's a really nice find! I love seeing concepts and other things like that.

Last edited by Saieno; 2012-04-11 at 11:24 AM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-11, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Looks like concepts from when PS2 was still called "Next" and was really just a re-skinned PS1 that moved to F2P. At some point about a year ago they realized what they had was something that could put SOE back on the MMO map and started doing the re-imagined sequel thing instead of the re-skinned PS1 thing.

Can see it in the models too. Look how the demo we saw back in July with TR and NC has changed substantially. The Cycler now looks nothing like it did in the July demo.

The Bases in the concept video look too small and cramped, though they did look like they would be interesting combat zones. The courtyard walls served a purpose for vehicles as a safe haven and as a staging area for outfits. They removed most of the courtyard area in the concept videos which looked good from an artistic perspective but from a gameplay perspective would have been poor design IMO.

That's why I hope they go back to a courtyard design in PS2 that has some ability to move around within the base as a staging area, or as a safe haven for repair when the fight gets close to the base. Those were important aspects of base design in PS1 that should make a return in PS2.
Old 2012-04-11, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Yep, looks like a student demo.

It's not bad and interesting to see what would happen if they basically did a re-skinning of PS1 without re-envisioning the game. I do think the devs made the right choice about remaking the game at a more detailed level than just textures/graphics.

And yeah, it would be cool if there were a few old-style bases hidden away in non-heavy combat areas.

Also, will bases have names? If so, Dagda has to be one of them.
Old 2012-04-11, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
MacTruckuLes
Private

yea, i noticed the the art insitute of portland also has an SOE mentorship program with sevral of the artist including T-ray are listed.

yea i found a confirmation that the video is a demo, heres a site thats talks about it. http://leeahinds.blogspot.com/2011/1...post_7912.html

and yea thats a magrider just missing the forward mounted cannon. however these must be fairly new as theres NS symbols on some of the crates.

Last edited by MacTruckuLes; 2012-04-11 at 11:32 AM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-11, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Look at the date of the project - 12/11, so this was in December.

Could be those are outposts, not facilities. (Outposts being the smaller areas that control territory that aren't the large facilities)

That would appear to be the right size of a small outpost.
Old 2012-04-11, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Figment
Lieutenant General

The class probably got the assignment to envision remakes of bases and units for PS2. They would probably serve as inspiration for the actual artists, next to looking for potential within the students.

We get those sort of assginments regularly as well in Industrial Design Engineering, only for consumer products.
Old 2012-04-11, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
MacTruckuLes
Private

yea these are all from a SoE sponsered class, though i havent seen the Enforcer in any of the images i found so far. looks like teams of students were givien certain games to work on, seen a bunch of EQ2 stuff as well.
Old 2012-04-11, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

yea these are all from a SoE sponsered class, though i havent seen the Enforcer in any of the images i found so far. looks like teams of students were givien certain games to work on, seen a bunch of EQ2 stuff as well.
I think that's pretty cool that students in SOE sponsored classes can basically mock up what could potentially be a game at SOE.
Old 2012-04-11, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Figment
Lieutenant General

It's mostly to get some experience with an actual project where you have to work within the vision of someone else, as well as creating portfolio worthy stuff.
Old 2012-04-11, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

The style of the base wall looks like ones I saw in 2005, when they were developing new bases.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-11, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
The style of the base wall looks like ones I saw in 2005, when they were developing new bases.
they were?
do you mean the max construction lines we got some pics of?

i always thought ps1 got no base updates because the bases were hardcoded into the maps and there was no easy way to modify the hardcoded terrains.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-04-11, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
i always thought ps1 got no base updates because the bases were hardcoded into the maps and there was no easy way to modify the hardcoded terrains.
The problem was that the holes in the terrain were fixed. Not the buildings themselves.
Old 2012-04-11, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Destroyeron
Troll x2

Damnit wth is everyone talking about?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion