PSU: Dude, where's my modem
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-11-22, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
DownloadFailed
Corporal

Just built a new PC, can't properly launch windows

So I just recently finished putting together my new computer. I got new everything except for a gpu and hard drive I took from my old PC. I've installed everything, out turns on fine but the problem is once it's turned on, a windows recovery screen appears, giving me two options:

1 Start windows normally
2 Repair windows (recommended)

I kind of expected this, but I hoped that my HDD that already has windows installed would at least allow me to launch in safe mode, which doesn't work. Any time I try to launch windows in any mode or fashion, it resets itself and I end up back at the recovery screen. I also can't use the repair mode because my old computer had win7 pre-installed on its hdd so I don't have a win7 installation disc. I do, however, have a product key for windows 7 home premium on the tower of the older pc.

My question is, is there anything I can do to actually launch windows on my new computer without going out and getting a new windows7 installation disc?
Old 2012-11-22, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Re: Just built a new PC, can't properly launch windows

Originally Posted by DownloadFailed View Post
So I just recently finished putting together my new computer. I got new everything except for a gpu and hard drive I took from my old PC. I've installed everything, out turns on fine but the problem is once it's turned on, a windows recovery screen appears, giving me two options:

1 Start windows normally
2 Repair windows (recommended)

I kind of expected this, but I hoped that my HDD that already has windows installed would at least allow me to launch in safe mode, which doesn't work. Any time I try to launch windows in any mode or fashion, it resets itself and I end up back at the recovery screen. I also can't use the repair mode because my old computer had win7 pre-installed on its hdd so I don't have a win7 installation disc. I do, however, have a product key for windows 7 home premium on the tower of the older pc.

My question is, is there anything I can do to actually launch windows on my new computer without going out and getting a new windows7 installation disc?
Most OEM computers don't come with windows disks anymore, the only way you can get one legitly is from HP, Dell, or Whoever you bought your PC from and have them pay to send you a disk.

Although any windows 7 disk of the correct versions should work just fine. It has to be Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate or whatever you key is for. I cannot say exactly where you can get these disks or .ISO at but ill just say, the internet is a big friendly place.

So once you get one of these disks you would install the OS selecting new install, you are probably going to want to go with a fresh install, have Windows Delete the old partition, then make a new one, then install to that.

When you get to the screen when you need to enter your key, go ahead and do so. Once into windows, you are going to have a certain amount of

A PROBLEM YOU WILL PROBABLY RUN INTO

When MS gives these keys to mfg to put on their laptops, its usually a special kind of key that is sold on the cheap, to only be used on one computer, ever. Its pretty crappy but its a tactic they use to get ppl to buy windows multiple times. So your key may actually not activate online because windows will realized that a lot of your Hardware ID numbers have changed and recognize it being "on a new computer."

So what you need to do is call MS and tell them what your key is. Here is info on where to call.... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

Tell them you did some repairs to your computer and they will unlock your key and allow it activate. Rather than explain to you that you have an MFG license of windows, MS will just activate it rather than frustrate their customers.
Old 2012-11-23, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
DownloadFailed
Corporal

Ok so I put a windows 7 home premium 64 bit ISO on a flash drive and tried using that, but it didn't work. I either go right to the recovery screen or if I try to boot from it directly, it only displays "Missing operating system" and nothing else. I don't know what I have to do to make it recognize the drive. Would a DVD work better? Or am I missing something? I don't think it should be this hard to do this.

Update: I've successfully gotten a windows 7 ISO onto a disc and I'm using it to hopefully repair the OS on my old HDD or install it on my new HDD. Still running into a significant amount of snags, but progress is being made. Any further tips would be appreciated.

Update 2: I have yet to have any success whatsoever with this installation CD. I've tried repairing the older hdd and tried a brand new install on the new, empty hdd, and neither have worked. I would REALLY like some help. Seriously.

Last edited by DownloadFailed; 2012-11-23 at 04:17 PM.
Old 2012-11-23, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ailos
Contributor
Major

We need a few more details. Specifically, what exact hardware is from the old PC and what's the new stuff?

A common issue is switching from an AMD CPU to Intel or vice versa. Windows installations won't work between the two due to slightly different scheduling loads and instruction sets, and you'll have to do a fresh install if you changed CPU manufacturers.

If you're having issues getting your windows installed using a CD, try using a bootable flash drive. This is similar to using a CD, except the ISO is on a flash drive. You can make the flash drive bootable with a utility like YUMI. This is especially helpful if your new setup requires drivers that aren't part of the standard windows repertoire: most RAID drivers, drivers for the AMD APUs, and certain MB chipset drivers. These drivers are usually necessary for the installation to go through. (For example, when I was installing Windows on my Llano desktop, back when Llano had just come out, the installer would crash after the first restart; installing the A55 chipset drivers before beginning the installation solved this problem.) It also helps to remove the DVD/Flash drive from the system when the system does the first restart (i.e. after it's done copying and expanding the files).

I had both of these issues recently when I swapped my old AMD Phenom II and AM3+ mobo for an i5-3570K and a Z77 mobo, the exact same symptom of windows getting to the logo load screen and then resetting itself, and then being unable to install from CD.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2012-11-23 at 05:55 PM.
Old 2012-11-23, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
DownloadFailed
Corporal

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
We need a few more details. Specifically, what exact hardware is from the old PC and what's the new stuff?

A common issue is switching from an AMD CPU to Intel or vice versa. Windows installations won't work between the two due to slightly different scheduling loads and instruction sets, and you'll have to do a fresh install if you changed CPU manufacturers.
Oh... That may be my problem then. I had an AMD CPU and now have an Intel CPU. So that may explain why I can't repair my old hdd. I took a disc drive, gpu, and hdd from my old computer. Everything else is new. Though I still can't install win 7 with my current disc on an empty, brand new hdd, which I find very strange. I don't know if the ISO I burned isn't compete, or something of the sort. I've also never been asked for my product key. I would very much like to avoid having to buy windows 7 again. Any suggestions?

Also, I think I have the exact same mobo and CPU setup as you. I5-3570k and an ASRock z77.

Last edited by DownloadFailed; 2012-11-23 at 06:05 PM.
Old 2012-11-23, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Oh... That may be my problem then. I had an AMD CPU and now have an Intel CPU. So that may explain why I can't repair my old hdd. I took a disc drive, gpu, and hdd from my old computer. Everything else is new. Though I still can't install win 7 with my current disc on an empty, brand new hdd, which I find very strange. I don't know if the ISO I burned isn't compete, or something of the sort. I've also never been asked for my product key. I would very much like to avoid having to buy windows 7 again. Any suggestions?
What exactly is the error it gives you?

When you're doing a clean install from a bootable media (and not an upgrade from within a running OS), it doesn't ask for the key right away, but instead will ask for it once the thing is up and running.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-11-23, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
DownloadFailed
Corporal

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
What exactly is the error it gives you?

When you're doing a clean install from a bootable media (and not an upgrade from within a running OS), it doesn't ask for the key right away, but instead will ask for it once the thing is up and running.
The error reads:
Install Windows
Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.
Error code: 0x80070017

I also tried using the same ISO on my disc on a USB, but I didn't use Yumi our anything like that with it. Would I need to use that instead of my disc, do you think?
Old 2012-11-23, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Try using the MS USB .iso tool from their website.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool
Old 2012-11-23, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ailos
Contributor
Major

The error reads:
Install Windows
Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.
Error code: 0x80070017

I also tried using the same ISO on my disc on a USB, but I didn't use Yumi our anything like that with it. Would I need to use that instead of my disc, do you think?
That error means that the files aren't being copied properly to the hard drive from the DVD. Either your optical drive is bad, or the DVD itself is bad. It could also mean that the ISO isn't correct, either.

In any case, I recommend that you re-check your downloaded ISO to make sure it's the right one and it's actually legit (not pirated). Original (non-SP1) W7 ISOs are named with a scheme: X15-65xxx where xxx is a 3-digit number denoting the edition (home premium, professional, etc.).

I somewhat disagree with the idea that downloading the W7 ISO is somehow illegal - it's the product key that can't be shared, the ISO itself is relatively useless without it. With that in mind, try downloading the appropriate ISO from this link (I used this, and it worked quite well for me):
http://www.mydigitallife.info/downlo...ownload-links/

Once you have the right disc image, make a bootable USB drive, and let us know how that installation progresses. Here, simply expanding the ISO onto a USB won't work. The USB needs to be formatted to look like a hard drive with an MBR, so that the BIOS recognizes that there's an OS loader on there to hand off operation of the hardware to. For that, you'll need the above YUMI or Microsoft USB maker tools.

Also keep in mind that if your product key is for Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 included, you need to make sure that's the ISO you actually download (on top of the appropriate edition).

IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-11-24, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
DownloadFailed
Corporal

How can I tell if my windows had sp1 included with it? I found both a X15 and X17 product key for home premium, so I guess I should just try both to be safe. Now that I've looked at my key, however, I notice that it has a X16 code near it. Would I need to go a version under (x15) or a version over (x17)?
Old 2012-11-24, 11:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ailos
Contributor
Major

How can I tell if my windows had sp1 included with it? I found both a X15 and X17 product key for home premium, so I guess I should just try both to be safe. Now that I've looked at my key, however, I notice that it has a X16 code near it. Would I need to go a version under (x15) or a version over (x17)?
Generally the sticker with the product key on your PC case will tell you what version of W7 the key is for (e.g. Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1). But if for some reason you can't make that out, the service pack was released in Feb 22 2011, so if you bought your PC in or after April 2011, it most likely included the service pack in the original system image. If you bought your PC before Feb 22, you most definitely have the standard installation key. Between those two dates, its hard to say.

The X15-6xxx is the naming scheme to decipher Windows 7 ISO images, not your product key (the key is not completely random, but random enough for us to not really decipher it). I am not sure what the X15 stands for but I know ALL official Windows 7 ISOs are named with it. The rest of it refers to the specific build number. Win 7 is Windows NT 6 if we trace the version numbers all the way back to the late 90s, so all builds of windows 7 start out with X15-6___.

The point of all this is that if you have a legit windows 7 key, there is no need for you to scour the internet alleys for torrents that may either be missing important files, or may include hidden extras that you don't wanton your new PC. The link to the version list I proved contains the download links for the official OEM disc images from Microsoft developer's network. I recommend you download the appropriate one, install it on a USB stick and see if you still get the error.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-11-26, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
DownloadFailed
Corporal

The home premium 64 bit ISO from your link doesn't work with the windows 7 USB/DVD download tool. Calls it an invalid ISO. I also can't figure Yumi out for the life of me. It's not very clear on what to do for windows 7 installations.
Old 2012-11-26, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ailos
Contributor
Major

The home premium 64 bit ISO from your link doesn't work with the windows 7 USB/DVD download tool. Calls it an invalid ISO. I also can't figure Yumi out for the life of me. It's not very clear on what to do for windows 7 installations.
I can assure you that the Home Premium x64 ISO from the link I gave you is valid and works, that's what this very computer is running right now. Any errors about it being an invalid ISO are caused by something else.

I never used the Microsoft USB/DVD tool, so I can't vouch for it one way or another.

YUMI is a tool that was designed primarily for Linux distributions, but it works with a Windows ISO just like any other system image. When you start it up, you first select the drive letter that corresponds to your USB drive; make sure to have removed anything important from the flash drive, then check the "Format Drive" button (your USB may not be bootable without this), and then in the selection that's be low that, you scroll all the way down to "Windows 7/8 loader" and select it, then specify the path to the actual Windows 7 ISO. Click next, and wait until it tells you the process is complete.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-11-26, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
DownloadFailed
Corporal

-snip-
Problem solved. I now have windows on my PC
Thanks Ailos and MrSmegz for all your help.

Last edited by DownloadFailed; 2012-11-26 at 07:39 PM.
Old 2012-11-27, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Glad I could help!

IronFist After Dark
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum