Base Design Philosophy: Defensibility - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pie > Cake
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-12-17, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
CodeVertigo
Private

Base Design Philosophy: Defensibility

I made this thread on the Official Forums, but it appears that threads get buried pretty quickly there. In any case, I saw that there was some pretty decent discussion here, and I'd like to see what you guys think about this. Here's a link to my original post.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...ibility.67960/
Old 2012-12-17, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
Re: Base Design Philosophy: Defensibility

defensibility is something they apparently want to nerf hardcore at any chance they get. don't expect much else, ive learned to keep my mouth shut about any place that can be used as a choke point against an approaching enemy, because every time I, or any other member of PG uses it smartly, it gets nerfed at a rapid pace. /bittervet

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-12-17, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
CodeVertigo
Private

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
defensibility is something they apparently want to nerf hardcore at any chance they get. don't expect much else, ive learned to keep my mouth shut about any place that can be used as a choke point against an approaching enemy, because every time I, or any other member of PG uses it smartly, it gets nerfed at a rapid pace. /bittervet
I see. Could you give me some examples of when they did this? I'm genuinely interested.
Old 2012-12-17, 01:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

techplants recently got nerfed because people were learning to use their layout to farm at.

scarred mesa skydock recently was overhauled from its former status as being able to be taken only by air

biolabs now have raised landing pads for jump pads, along with a few other nerfs to their defensibility but they mostly came pre-nerfed.

how many other examples do you want? shit, ive got a list somewhere to boot.

Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-12-17 at 01:56 AM.
Old 2012-12-17, 02:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Canaris
Contributor
General

base defense and infantry fighting, the dinosaurs of planetside 2

my own opinions on the matter are well documented

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-12-17, 03:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Yeah..they seem to hate defenders. I am gonna adapt and only attack in my he tank and farm infantry from now on, it seems like the devs want me to
Old 2012-12-17, 05:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

~in theory~ if general usage of infantry for combat were to decline enough, they'd be forced to show their hand and act to rectify the problem.

There is a way to exploit this theory if done on a large enough scale to force SOE's hand.

Again, ~in theory~, I am suggesting saying fuck infantry and using only liberators, heavy tanks, and lightnings with HE ammo on a mass scale so as to magnify the issue several fold in order to force a resolution.

Or you could do like me and not log in much anymore, and go play other games like EVE or WW2OL

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-12-17 at 05:35 AM.
Old 2012-12-17, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Canaris
Contributor
General

~in theory~ if general usage of infantry for combat were to decline enough, they'd be forced to show their hand and act to rectify the problem.

There is a way to exploit this theory if done on a large enough scale to force SOE's hand.

Again, ~in theory~, I am suggesting saying fuck infantry and using only liberators, heavy tanks, and lightnings with HE ammo on a mass scale so as to magnify the issue several fold in order to force a resolution.

Or you could do like me and not log in much anymore, and go play other games like EVE or WW2OL
while in theory I like it, however that would mean I'd be as bad as all the people who never get out of their metal holes..... shame but it might just be the former and I'll go play else where until SOE figure out there's more to planetside than cars and planes

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-12-17, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

it seems that lately they are gimping defense (moving gens outside etc.) instead of making bases more defensible. so yea, dont expect anything.
Old 2012-12-17, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Crator
Major General

Arclegger has recently shown interest in more defensable designs. He stated in the thread that they did not have enough time to do all these things before planned launch.

Check here: [Suggestion] Outpost Spawn Design (based on existing building)
Old 2012-12-17, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I heard Clegg likes it when defense suggestions are illustrated visually. That's probably the best why to get your idea across.

But I'm hoping they'll focus on base design after finishing the next cont.
Old 2012-12-17, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

scarred mesa skydock recently was overhauled from its former status as being able to be taken only by air
This is the one that pisses me off. Skydock was a gem to assault and hold.
Old 2012-12-17, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
This is the one that pisses me off. Skydock was a gem to assault and hold.
Hey I complained about that in BETA!
It's horrific when you have a base that CANNOT be approached by Infantry, period.
Old 2012-12-17, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
Hey I complained about that in BETA!
It's horrific when you have a base that CANNOT be approached by Infantry, period.
Sure you can.
2x galaxies, both fitted with mortars on either engine/wing section
12x troops for each galaxy, minus 5 people each (1x pilot, 4 gunners (2x wing gunners, 1 tail gunner, 1 top gunner)) equals roughly 14 guys on the ground securing the base with two orbiting galaxy gunships able to cover the point/spawn and any other buildings/areas around the base.

As for spawns, have a sunderer set up at the bottom and use a galaxy as a lift transport once the immediate area is secure if anyone dies. if done properly, one spawn beacon with proper placement for each squad should be enough for each team. the squad leader should never also be the galaxy pilot or one of the main gunners for this reason.

Taking it isn't that hard, this was an unneeded nerf.

unless of course, the people defending it were better organised than you and had fucktons of AA in which case, your life as a pilot was made miserable.

Either way, a step backwards for the game, because, my fucking god, a base in an MMOFPS that requires a level of teamwork and personal skill to take is horrific and absurd.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-12-17 at 05:07 PM.
Old 2012-12-17, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Whiteagle
Major

unless of course, the people defending it were better organised than you and had fucktons of AA in which case, your life as a pilot was made miserable.
Yes, because people don't just camp there with AA or anything...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion