Internet Stars Ruining or helping PS2? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Does whatever a spider can.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-03, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Rockit
Banned

Re: Internet Stars Ruining or helping PS2?

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
This is precisely what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not to fix issues with the game or solve problems with it.. it's to get exposure and NOTHING more than that. If other people from the community had millions of YT followers then I'm sure they would have been picked.
You got it right Hamma.
Old 2013-01-03, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by Srixun View Post
Evil pig in charge of NC? No Im NC and I want to win. not him plz. kthnx. try checking out Dzire, who leads CML, Way better.

Buzz would be fine for TR, since he emphasized thier strength, the zerg.

They need to push more of a community thing rather than American Idol, with a bunch of subpar players... imo.

I hoped it would be something like, they both pick enough players for a platoon, and play against each other, seeing who can do what.
even if he is a good player, alot of bad stuff came out with buzzcut, so that might actually hurt in a PR sense rather then help it...kinda why they stopped doing stuff along with enclave in beta.
Old 2013-01-03, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Rahabib View Post
I dont see how this changes anything. Its just a random video with some guys saying things they probably wish nobody else ever saw.

What does this introduce to the game, nothing. Does it bring in anyone to this game - nope. Most people like me probably saw the video and thought it was an inside joke or something. If it wasn't I feel embarrassed for them and the community.
There are hundreds of thousands subscribers to the 3 people combined. It will almost assuredly bring someone in.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-03, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
SGTHACK
Private

But, when the new players drop in for the terrible introduction to the game...most will leave after getting shot to pieces.
Old 2013-01-03, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
The whole thing is kind of odd - hopefully it brings new players in if nothing else. Just wished they picked people who actually played PS2 more besides TB but it is what it is.
I was about to say just this. TB is the only one who even has half of an idea of what to do. Maybe he has 3/4ths to a hole. Still, the other two are absolute ... well, "derpheads" and I really have no idea what they have to do with PS2.
Old 2013-01-03, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Heh, I knew TotalBiscuit back when he was just another DJ on PSR - PlanetSide Radio, which I did scripting and code work for. We even had a SOE dev on DJ, but nobody was supposed to know about that.

I guess TB was pretty popular as a DJ, though we were excited to get more than a couple dozen listeners back in that day. I heard he went on to do DJing for WoW Radio after PSR shut down and somehow he grew into a gaming celebrity.

Now I think the whole thing is kind of dumb. They're working hard to attract players to a game with some very broken core mechanics that's really hurting the long-term playability of the title. I really hope they work towards solving that problem quickly or they're just going to lose the players they've pulled in with this event.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2013-01-04, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by EightEightEight View Post
How do you have a showdown when all the Internet "Celebs" Play on different servers. I honestly do not think they thought this through.
This.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-01-04, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Yeah, what is this showdown supposed to be? Dafuq?

.sent via phone.
Old 2013-01-04, 05:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

I play on Waterson and I find totally wasted the idea of having these internet celebrities (Yes, they are, for better or worse) spread on a lot of server, while all three should be on Waterson, since TB did brought the imbalance there. It most probably reaches TR pop cap everyday, and has a huge TR population the whole day compared to NC and VS.

Adding the two others here would bring more pops to a hugely imbalanced server while prepping them against each other already. Simply stupid the idea of separate leaders for this (since it bring the Waterson problem to two other servers).
Old 2013-01-04, 05:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Mordelicius
Major

Originally Posted by Colindapieman View Post
I'm sure you all are aware of the Ultimate Empire showdown, SOE's publicity event. Three extremely popular youtubers are participating. A lot of you hate it, but I don't know for sure.

If you haven't noticed the faction population on their respective servers skyrocketing. Toby plays Helios as VS and the population of VS is twice the others. This also applies to TR on Watterson. This might be a bunch of stupid fanboys/girls running around. I play on Helios and about 30% of players have "Buscus" in their names.

Do you guys think that the Showdown is good for the game or is it ruining it for the experienced players. Personally I joined because of Tobuscus but I put 16 hours on the game in two days and now I don't care about the showdown I just love PS2.
Seannaners (sp?) is also on Helios. In fact if you even watched Tobuscus' video you'd hear he rolled there because Seannaners is there as well.

VS being overpopulated has something to do with their OPness. My main is in Helios, though I haven't logged since that first patch. I made a new character in Waterson yesterday to catch that Total Biscuit war with Vanu that I've read about. Would be happy to ( spoil their ) ::cough cough:: spread freedom with the rest of the NC there

Onto the topic, about that event.
Pros:
- Brings in alot of new players.
- First community event since launch.
- Hopefully it will help solidy faction identity amongst players.

Con:
- Presents Planetside 2 to a lot of new players in its current uneven, unseemly and unfinished form. I hope they don't feel turned off by it, but I think that's the negative part of it.

They have to rush that faction balance patch before this event. Also, it would be interesting to see how air superiority fares in this type of event. It would blow if planes carpet the sky and there are few regular infantry or vehicles below, but just aa max spamming.
Old 2013-01-05, 07:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Rolfski
Major

The good thing about this whole circus is that community events are very welcome in this game and we could for sure use more of them.
Old 2013-01-05, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
SpunkyKuma
Private

When there's a famous face on Youtube, there tends to be followers. Such as RayWilliamJohnson, I hate the spread he has caused, I go to an unrelated Youtube video and see in the comments repeating something that RWJ has said. I was once subbed to RWJ but proceeded to unsub and I think I lost 1/4 of my IQ from watching him.

Last edited by SpunkyKuma; 2013-01-05 at 08:32 AM.
Old 2013-01-05, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
RSphil
Contributor
Major

im gona say helping as its the only exposer this game is getting. im in the Uk and seen nothing about planetside 2 bar on steam. no advertising on tv or anything. so much for SOE giving it to a euro company to help exposer in the EU.

cant see how they could hurt the game
Old 2013-01-05, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Fear The Amish
First Sergeant

Well TB was able to provide something in Launch that i haven't seen since beta... We had a VA v Brit throw down on amerish. DVS showed up too so it was 3 massive outfit (or alliances) beating at each other hammer and tongs across amerish. 100+ lib bomber wings 100's of tanks infantry every were check out the FNO to see it.
Old 2013-01-05, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
LoliLoveFart
Contributor
First Sergeant

I don't think its hurting anyone, but as people have said I do question the leader choices.

Any publicity is good publicity.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion