XP per base capture - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: online 36/18/456 wait that's not right
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-25, 07:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Qwan
Captain

XP per base capture

Im feeling a little shorted when it comes to xp gained when attacking a base.

Example
In PS 1 we would spend hours attacking a base, put together drop party's, storm back doors and eventually we would take a base, players would spend hours fighting and would get a substantial amount of xp depending on the size of the fight.

In PS2 this is not the case, regardless of the time and effort for taking a base its just 500xp, thats it. And sometimes you dont even get a cert point.

Question

Does anyone feel that this will make a difference in the decision to stay and fight for a well defended base, when you can just go two hexes down and get the same xp for a less defended base.

Question

Is this the end of the enormous epic battles we saw in PS1.

Question
Do you as a player think they should incorporate the old xp pay out they had in PS 1.
Old 2012-09-25, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sunrock
Major

Re: XP per base capture

Originally Posted by Qwan View Post

Question

Does anyone feel that this will make a difference in the decision to stay and fight for a well defended base, when you can just go two hexes down and get the same xp for a less defended base.
Yes but not only for the exp but because taking the surrounding hexes helps taking the well defended base...

Question

Is this the end of the enormous epic battles we saw in PS1.
Never played PS1. But yes the game mechanics in PS2 does not promote this type of behavior in game.

Question
Do you as a player think they should incorporate the old xp pay out they had in PS 1.
If they do they can't make this a F2P game as they need to earn money on selling exp boosters.
Old 2012-09-25, 08:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post

If they do they can't make this a F2P game as they need to earn money on selling exp boosters.
Not necessarily (but good point).

It depends whether this is an easier or quicker way to gain xp (and therefore how quickly you advance up the cert trees). It should also be balanced with the speed of gaining xp from kills.

So I'm not certain whether it should be done.

Having said this, I liked the xp gain is ps1 - there was always a sense of anticipation on how much xp you would get for a base fight.

The other thing was, if you participated in a base fight you were awarded xp in proportion to the time you were in the vacinity while there was contention. By this I mean if you were at the battle for the capture and the fight was over (you kiiled their SCU for example) you could move onto the next base and still be given the capture xp even tough you were no longer in the area. That would be good too.
Old 2012-09-25, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
lawnmower
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
uhhh
Old 2012-09-25, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

PS2 needs big battles, this is a very good point. They should make it a sliding scale for the XP returned based on the amount of action in the hex.. I cant see any problem with this, the exp booster point wont make a difference. All this does is offset when you get your XP, all in a big battle or over tons of small wack-a-mole'esque base caps. I know which i prefer.
Old 2012-09-25, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Qwan
Captain

Originally Posted by Snipefrag View Post
PS2 needs big battles, this is a very good point. They should make it a sliding scale for the XP returned based on the amount of action in the hex.. I cant see any problem with this, the exp booster point wont make a difference. All this does is offset when you get your XP, all in a big battle or over tons of small wack-a-mole'esque base caps. I know which i prefer.
I agree with you Snipe, we need these big battles, or the game looses its apeal.

Example

Last weekend during beta, a member of my outfit was mission leader. There was a pretty big battle going on at one of the bio domes, I was sure that was where we were going. When he chose a leaser battle which I knew we were going to take in like a matter minutes. I asked him why we were not going to the big battle, he said and I quote “it’s the same xp, we can get the xp for capping this base and move to another one". We took the base with a little resistance, got the xp, moved to the next one, got the xp, and the next one, and capped 4 smaller bases. I then checked my map and saw that they were still fighting over the bio dome, and in a matter of 20 min we managed to rack up 2k xp and a couple of cert points. Granted we still had a couple of small skirmishes so it wasn’t just a walk in and walk away thing, we made a xp killing as well (Dirty NC).

Is this the future of PS2, just to get xp and certs.
Old 2012-09-25, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

The Resource system also adds to this problem, it encourages people to skirt around the battle and ninja land. I think in both cases the solution is longer cap times and better visibility for the defender when a zone is under attack so they can respond (like PS1, quick responders in air vehicles to base hacks). Right now the first thing you notice is the territory in the enemies hands.. That has to change. Added to XP rewards that scale with action in a hex and things should be a bit better. Missions and commanders should also, as they can set up defence missions and notify people when an area is being attacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2012-09-25, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Qwan
Captain

Yea a better map systems informing you of whats going on at a base would help you put together a quick responce team. For example if a base has 3 capture points, you should see this on the map as well as spawn and gen conditions, you should see which points are already flipped and which is not. That way you know whether you need to get over there fast or if you need to go at all. I think the resources are ok, they come at the right speed, certs on the other hand are mad slow. But with my new hack a small base technique i can build up quite a bit of certs and xp in a short amount of time. Its not what I planned to do, but its my only way to get the certs as quickly as possible to get the cool upgrades for my sundy.
Old 2012-09-25, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

I don't know what servers you play on, but it's nothing but big battles on Metis. The answer to outposts being more appealing than bases is simple (If you believe so. Personally I prefer the Auraxium), reduce the XP gain for outposts. Make outposts only worth 100 to cap. Control Points should come down to 50 as well.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-09-25, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rat
First Sergeant

The long drawn out battles pay for themselves.

small outpost cap...200 XP for switching colors...500 for ownership change...potentially no kills.

2 hour fight at a large facility..500 for ownership change..potentially multiple color changes at control points..at 200 a pop...plus how many troop and vehicle kills at 100+ experience a kill....I feel that large battles pay out pretty well...
Old 2012-09-25, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rat View Post
The long drawn out battles pay for themselves.

small outpost cap...200 XP for switching colors...500 for ownership change...potentially no kills.

2 hour fight at a large facility..500 for ownership change..potentially multiple color changes at control points..at 200 a pop...plus how many troop and vehicle kills at 100+ experience a kill....I feel that large battles pay out pretty well...
I have to agree to this.

However, I also agree with making the smaller outposts caps half the current xp rate.
Old 2012-09-25, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

SOE needs to make the game to be good, not to make the game to fit with their F2P model. One comes before the other with a higher priority level.
Old 2012-09-25, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
CrankyTRex
Staff Sergeant

One of my biggest problems is that you still may have to sit there for 10 minutes after every point in the facility is taken and the other team is gone waiting for it to be official if you want the XP. If you've cleared out the place, and there are no enemies left in an area, it should significantly increase the speed at which the final capture happens.

I also find the game discourages me from playing as air cover or air defense, because I can earn way more XP just flying from point to point and getting XP as people below cap it.
Old 2012-09-25, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Arovien
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
SOE needs to make the game to be good, not to make the game to fit with their F2P model. One comes before the other with a higher priority level.
^
Cannot believe some are focusing on how an issue should be fixed thru microtransactions. Produce a proper game that DOES NOT require a F2P/P2W model. Then, add a microtransactions model over the game that focuses on aesthetics and minimal boosts.

Back to base capture XP. Base battles are usually way more epic and lengthy. Outposts battles last but a fraction of the typical base battle, yet they give the same amount of XP. Its obviously an issue that should be addressed ASAP. Double the experience gained for capturing/defending bases; that's a good start for testing.
Old 2012-09-25, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Treating the symptom and not the disease.

Don't half one base's exp and boost another's or make cap times longer. Those won't change any part of the underlying incentives for acting the way we are currently seeing players behave.

Fixed XP amounts for actions is probably the root of the problem.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion