The battle islands should function like the caves from Core Combat - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nerf Beans.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-06-30, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Roy Awesome
First Sergeant

The battle islands should function like the caves from Core Combat

Everyone thinks Core Combat sucked, but I disagree. I think Core Combat came up with quite a few novel and great ideas that fit in really well to PS1's metagame. The rotating time based geowarps added an interesting layer of complexity to the lattice. The Cave Mods gave you a reason to defend and fortify bases. Ancient Tech links were awesome and added a bit more strategy in selecting bases to attack.

The caves sucked though. The zip lines were confusing and the base layouts didn't help.

So, why not take the good from Core Combat (time based geowarps and mods) and use the Battle Islands as a place for those objectives. Create smaller controllable warpgates that anyone can use, put them on an 8 hour timer, and link them to bases on the main continents.

This creates small scale combat that has an influence on the larger overworld game, secondary objectives (cave mods and a CTF like mechanic to go with it), and a use for these MLG islands that don't just take people away from the foreverwar
Old 2013-06-30, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: The battle islands should function like the caves from Core Combat

No. Fucking. Ziplines.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-06-30, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Roy Awesome
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
No. Fucking. Ziplines.
Thank you for your valuable contribution to the thread by saying something I said in the OP
Old 2013-06-30, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Roy Awesome View Post
Thank you for your valuable contribution to the thread by saying something I said in the OP
I'm here for you. I'm glad I got my point across easily and concisely.
EDIT: Allow me to elaborate. You could make these battle islands function like the Men's bathroom at the back of an adult theater and as long as my dick doesn't have to go from point A to point B via zipline, I'm happy. I only care about these battle islands as long as they facilitate the introduction of the intercontinental lattice. Sure, I might have to play on them and for that reason alone I want to ensure there are no ziplines. Global domination is, and always has been, my goal.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Last edited by bpostal; 2013-06-30 at 07:42 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 2013-06-30, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

That would be great, I like the Idea that the Islands could be connected via timed geowarps to the continents. Good Idea Roy.

Last edited by capiqu; 2013-06-30 at 10:18 PM.
Old 2013-07-01, 03:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I really like that idea, the caves were a great idea poorly executed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 2013-07-01, 03:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
AThreatToYou
Major

I think that's a workable idea.
Old 2013-07-01, 04:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ringring
Contributor
General

I think that's a good idea.

All those features that you mentioned certainly did add a lot to the ps1 metagame, they made to think ahead about the enemy gaining a link to your base and about you gaining one to theirs. So +1

But I can't see how this comment
The caves sucked though. The zip lines were confusing and the base layouts didn't help.
still flies after the ps2 Amp Stations and Tech Plant design chaos. There was far more structure and a lot better infantry fighting in the caves.
Old 2013-07-01, 06:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Qwan
Captain

Ok im a little lost, I thought the battle islands was going to be reserved for outfit vs outfit battles. So what Im getting from this thread is that the Battle Islands are going to be just regular islands. Question does any one have a snap shot of what these islands even look like......
Old 2013-07-01, 06:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Qwan View Post
Ok im a little lost, I thought the battle islands was going to be reserved for outfit vs outfit battles. So what Im getting from this thread is that the Battle Islands are going to be just regular islands. Question does any one have a snap shot of what these islands even look like......
Apart from the fly thru of Nexus no.

But the island are going to be used for the mlg matches and integrated into the game.

It seems there will be separate instances used for the matches, really they could have as many matches running concurrenyly as they wish as they're instanced.

This thread is concerned with the versions that will be integrated into the game and I presume there will be 4 battle islands as per PS1 and if done right it could be a big step for the meta-game and additionally the op suggestion is a good one.
Old 2013-07-01, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Why?

I mean if we want the caves back (I am not qualified to say if that is a good or bad thing) then why don't we push to get the caves back? The battle islands could be used like small bases between the larger continents... which would be pretty good IMO, you fight through the smaller BIs around a continent, or you fight on the continent... many ways to contribute right there. I think an arbitrary rotation of the BI will just be a little silly, as there is no reason for it. The caves, apparently there was timed entry for a decent reason. They were subterranean and linked to some weird tech. Battle Islands... they are islands, you can swim there, no reason for them to have rotating time to get onto them, unless the people who built the Warpgate system, was a company that specialized in making egg timers or something.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-07-01, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I enjoyed the cave game play and metagameplay as well. They were a good way for small squads to make a noticeable impact on a continent outcome. And they didn't have BFRs! I think it was the zip lines and confusing layout that turned most players off.

The connectivity idea is interesting, I liked the rotating geowarps. We've talked a bit about how to have player-driven warpgate rotation/randomness. Any ideas about how we can do that to where it happens but doesn't happen too often?

As for nexus and other BIs, been quite a few ideas about how best to integrate them into the main game. Continent connectors is certainly the obvious way, but I like the geowarp idea too. That would allow the controlled introduction, much like it was in PS1's caves.
Old 2013-07-01, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

What if instead of fighting over mods, players will fight over implants? Battle Island Implants?
This could lead to rich get richer situation though for over pop empires.

Old 2013-07-01, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Calista
Second Lieutenant

I like the idea of "geowarps". They would essentially be the first true warpgates and by being a dynamic rotating entry point onto a continent, would break up symmetry and that is something PS2 has been sorely needing since launch. It is a much better idea than sticking them in between continents and retaining the 3 empire 3 WG's of today.
Old 2013-07-01, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by Ruffdog View Post
What if instead of fighting over mods, players will fight over implants? Battle Island Implants?
This could lead to rich get richer situation though for over pop empires.
it could also keep us away from the dreaded pay to win aspect everyone is so worried about with implants.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion