Driver/gunner survey. - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I did not have sexual relations with that woman
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-21, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #76
Ipimpnoobs
Sergeant

Re: Driver/gunner survey.

nice follow up. sarcasm on: It looks like we didn't count the electoral college votes.. I DEMAND A RECOUNT!!!

No but seriously, people who like tanks like to shoot the main battle gun. The reason why people are asking for a crew split is because they want to play something similar to Arma... This game, was not meant to be a simulator.

What I think should happen is, the overall vehicle performance should increase with the more people you have in your tank. It's better to give incentives rather then take away. For instance, if you have a dedicated secondary gunner, the accuracy and loading time should increase. Here is another one, the secondary gun should change to whatever the gunner wants. This means mounted guns are swappable upon entry if the driver desires. Ideas like this would make sense! I think we need to be a little more creative, then going back to whats in every other massive war game.

Also, keep in mind this is supposed to be a futuristic game as well. Our modern military fly drones into war already, and from what I understand in 2015 there will be an unmanned armor division as well. It is highly unlikely in any kind of future conflict people will actually man mbt's.

http://www.military-today.com/apc/black_knight.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiesel_AWC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardium

just my 2 cents
http://youtu.be/hO08Rw1onbw

Last edited by Ipimpnoobs; 2012-09-21 at 09:10 AM.
Old 2012-09-21, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Driver/gunner survey.

Originally Posted by Ipimpnoobs View Post
No but seriously, people who like tanks like to shoot the main battle gun. The reason why people are asking for a crew split is because they want to play something similar to Arma... This game, was not meant to be a simulator.
I see no evidence of that neither in the polling, on forums or in game. There are hardly any ArmA players playing and the majority come from PS1, BF and random other games.

Though if they do want something akin to ArmA, then why should you provide them with something entirely different? However, split controls has nothing to do with simulation. It's simply establishing how game play will play out. World of Tanks simulates tank crews, because you can kill individuals within the tank as if they were modules, thereby affecting your performance. This is not true in PS1 nor 2. Both are very arcady, even with split controls. The main reason is enhancing player task efficiency and power/player division, not to simulate.

Simulation goes waaaaay beyond what PS1 and PS2 do. Simulation would after all mean trying to approach reality. Arcade doesn't mean being completely irrealistic either! Gaming tries to find an optimal way for game balance and fun, nowhere does it say that this can only be achieved by combining driver and gunner role.

People who like tanks like tanks because they do boom boom and look cool. They don't care if they fire the main gun or someone else, as long as their unit takes out the opposition. See the survey.

In fact, the majority of folks responding to the survey do not have a personal need or special interest for the main gun, certainly not as driver, but apparantly not even as gunner (see response to "second string" question)!

Btw, your suggestions will make the units feel arbitrary and unreliable in use, because if I understand it correctly, the exact same gun would respond differently from one moment you use them to the other (correct me if I misinterpreted). I know one thing: if there's one thing gamers and especially competitive gamers hate, it's unreliable tools.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion