Do you use max units? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: how many bodies could i squeze in the trunk of my MAX
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-20, 04:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Figment
Lieutenant General

Do you use max units?

I've noticed I'm only using the Burster max and at times the Falcon. Mostly because I hated MAXes in ps1. Same reason I don't really use aircav, always felt too cheap. Anyone else have similar "trauma" influence their choices? Because from a pure winning mentality, my choices sometimes make little sense. I often opt for light assault when I could be much more devastating with a max in defense.
Old 2012-09-20, 04:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Re: Do you use max units?

Yes I've been using them, I will probably use them much less once the timer goes in for them (which is a change I agree with). I love bitch slapping people with them more than anything else.. if only there was some splatter animation with MAX melee kills.

Definitely won't be using the Burster again. AA MAXes with no jump jets are terribly boring to begin with, but paying 16 000 Aur for a MAX that's about as effective as the old Buster with no Lockdown ain't happening.

No guilt, not like I'm a rocket spamming ESF or anything..

Last edited by Helwyr; 2012-09-20 at 04:36 AM.
Old 2012-09-20, 04:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Mavvvy
Corporal

It's all situational, lots of enemy in the air I get in a skyguard or aa reaver. Lots of maxes I go heavy assault.

Max units though... Too slow for me although I have used the bursters on defense while influence capping.
Old 2012-09-20, 05:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
JesNC
Master Sergeant

Tried the NC MAXes a bit. The falcon does hardly any damage it seems, and the arc on the guns really doesn't feel well with me.
The scattercannon is nice up close, but you're just so slow as a MAX - and the charge ability doesn't help much with that. Just yesterday I was led around Tawrich on a merry chase by some Vanu LA for a solid 5 minutes before I could finally find an equipment terminal to switch back to infantry :/

So no, I stay away from MAXes for now. Maybe I'll try again when the announced changes hit and the Falcon becomes a rocket launcher again
Until then, I rather go HA than MAX.
Old 2012-09-20, 06:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ipimpnoobs
Sergeant

I hate maxes because I believe agility will win 95% of the time. Slow moving military equipment is a detriment. The only one that looks appealing is anti air, especially on bio dome aircraft resupply pad.

My issue with maxes in-game is when I fire off 150mm tank round and hit it, it takes two shots. At the very least, it should be knocked on its ass.
http://youtu.be/hO08Rw1onbw
Old 2012-09-20, 07:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Mechzz
Major

I enjoy all of the VS maxes. Burster is a bit under-powered (even though I got the free ones lol), so since I specced my Skyguard I tend to pull that if the air is thick with mossies and reavers. Burster is still handy though for defending Gals when there's no vehicle bay close by.

Comet is ok, but my favourite is the Quasar. It's good for a Gen grab and hold and cuts a fair swathe through infantry.
Old 2012-09-20, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
oosik
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
I've noticed I'm only using the Burster max and at times the Falcon. Mostly because I hated MAXes in ps1. Same reason I don't really use aircav, always felt too cheap. Anyone else have similar "trauma" influence their choices? Because from a pure winning mentality, my choices sometimes make little sense. I often opt for light assault when I could be much more devastating with a max in defense.
Yes. DC Max has been my principal killer since closed beta began with over 2800 kills. It takes time to learn to use it efficiently and obviously things will change with the timer and resource cost. Looking forward to certing different options in all Max soon. Also looking forward to testing the new pounder to see if it is as effective as the PS1 pounder.

Super sprint is very effective when used properly, and one of my favorite tactics has been to use cover to sneak up on snipers and then super sprint the last few yards and shoot them in the head before they know I'm there.
Old 2012-09-20, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
ringring
Contributor
General

Yes.

I wan't a max user in ps1 since I didn't like the slow motion walk.

But I've used burster and DC.

The burster is fine in groups but it's not as lethal as burster in PS1. DC seems better and Pounder is horrible although I've seen that a patch is coming in overnight.
Old 2012-09-20, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Crator
Major General

I'm pretty much the same way as the OP I think.
Old 2012-09-20, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SpottyGekko
Sergeant

I posted this on the beta forums yesterday:

Where have all the AV MAX's gone ?

Around a week or so ago, as a tanker I mostly had to counter HA dumbfire rockets and frequently AV MAX's. In a 1v1 fight, I usually won. But if there was more than 1 HA or MAX (or I was taking other damage), it was usually game over, unless I ran. I use cover a lot and never rush into bases where I would (and should) be annihilated.

But in the last week, I'm facing lock-on AV missiles almost exclusively. I guess many more players have earned the required certs, and have also realised that a HA with a lock-on launcher is waaay more effective against vehicles (and now also cheaper and quicker to spawn) than an AV MAX.

Only a fool would choose an AV MAX over a HA with lock-on AV launcher:
  • HA is a much smaller target than a MAX
  • HA does not have to remain visible while firing for as long as an AV MAX does
  • HA is much more nimble than a AV MAX
  • HA doesn't cost resources to spawn and doesn't have a respawn timer
  • HA lock-on launchers require minimal aim, whereas the AV MAX has to aim each shot
  • HA lock-on launchers seem to kill faster than AV MAX weapons
  • HA lock-on launchers have a far superior effective range than an AV MAX
  • HA can ride in any vehicle. In fact, HA+Flash+lock-on launcher seems to be a favourite for quick base caps
  • HA can use their LMG to counter other infantry, the AV MAX has no counter except melee.
  • It takes 1 direct hit from a tank to kill a HA, 2 or 3 to kill a MAX, BUT it's far easier to land those direct hits on the MAX.
  • MAX's are prime targets for everyone and very noticeable, whereas HA's are not a priority target for other infantry.
Are AV MAX's now only suitable for n00bs with no auraxium ?

Have HA's with lock-on AV launchers made the AV MAX obsolete ?
I have often used AA MAX's with dual bursters to good effect. Didn't get many direct kills, but certainly got a bag full of assists. They are very useful for chasing away pesky hoverflies

I found that to get a kill with the AA MAX, you need to have the target in view for too long. Being able to see the target for that amount of time means you have to be in the open. Being in the open means you will very quickly attract a rocket shower, specially when the skies are busy and you're concentrating on tracking one target.

The AV MAX's vary greatly. I found the NC one to be so cumbersome that it was a waste of time. VS was better. Didn't try TR.

One thing I can say about AV MAX's in general is that I've never been killed by one, and I drive tanks most of the time. Most likely because I almost NEVER roll my tank into a base while there's heavy fighting in progress. I've played both NC and VS extensively, so this is not a narrow viewpoint.

As for AI MAX's, only tried NC, and found it extremely limited. Very effective in CQ, but step out of the building and you're simply a big target. If three LA are shooting at you, you can rush and kill one. After that you're back to lumbering around and most likely dead before you can get to the second one, because they will kite you.

Summary:
The fast pace of PS2 infantry combat combined with the very open base layouts has put MAX units in an awkward place. They seem to be more psychological weapons than deadly ones, because they spread fear and panic. A few calm and skilled infantry can take down a MAX fairly quickly.

Whilst they were easy and free to spawn, they were often abused and spammed.
Now they seem to be a rare sight (other than DC MAX's, which are still very effective inf killers in big furball battles).
Old 2012-09-20, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
RobUK
Corporal

I've got tons of kills using the DC and I have rarely died in one. I've done well with the Burster, but like you, I've mostly gotten assists. The biggest limiting factor (and frustration) with the Burtser is the absolutely paltry amount of ammo that you can carry. At most you can last a minute of sustained firing before needing a refill. I hope that in the future this will be changed, or at least can be mitigated by the use of certs.

The Pounder is broken. It simply doesn't have a role at the moment, not even against other MAX units as they get eaten alive by HA.

My biggest concern about the MAX is the outrageously high cost of obtaining the Burster arms. 16,000 Auraxium for both arms is ludicrously expensive for what you get.

When the first character wipe hits, nobody will have an AA MAX. It's stupid and broken that you can all pull aircraft from your first minute in the game but must wait days or even weeks to have access to a counter that isn't even really a hard counter.
Old 2012-09-20, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Infernalis
Sergeant

As NC I use the double burster, the rest is meh. As TR I use the double Burster and Cycler.
Old 2012-09-20, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Fenrys
Major

Rarely on offense will I pull a dual-cycler. If I was in a Gal that I knew would be landing someplace hot, I'd pull MAX or Engy.
I prefer Light Assault and sprinting up the flanks, rather than absorbing bullets as I trundle through the middle.

I play dual-burster MAX quite a bit, usually hang out around an equipment terminal, and will occasionally swap one burster for a cycler after spotting infantry coming for me.

Running around as a solo-AA MAX will no longer be viable if you need to pay resources and wait out a timer just to get more ammo. There's never an engy around when you need one.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-09-20 at 02:58 PM.
Old 2012-09-20, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

generally i just use the burster if i see a lot of aircraft overhead for a few quick kills. other than that i am always engineer, unless there are a lot of magowers and vannys out then i switch to HA and use lock on missles cause they do solid dmg against them to back them off a bit.
Old 2012-09-20, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Yenni
Corporal

The problem with Max's, as of right now comes down to 2 things imo.

1. In a medium to short range fight, more often than not, you'll be the first targeted because you're the biggest threat.

2. I feel like some where along the line a cert will give increased damage reduction from small arms and lessen the resisitance to anti-vehicular weapons.

2nd part is fixable and/or already in the works.

1st problem isn't really a problem at all, it's about having good situational awareness. I don't care if you're a max or an infil or a HA.

First guy through the door is going to die.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion