Anyone thinking about driving a tank? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the "home of the" and "since 2003" quotes since 2003.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-11-06, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Anyone thinking about driving a tank?

I know there are a lot of potencial piolets out there, but no one's really talked about the tanks. I'm wondering because Second to the MAX, driving a tank is what I'd want to do.

What are your thoughts on the diffrent tanks? We don't know a whole lot about Empire Specific tanks, except the Vanu's Vanguard tank, but from the looks of things most tanks will require a crew of 2.

There is also a common pool light tank called the lightning. It says that the lightining is fast, but lacks armor.

What do you think is going to be more effective? Would you rather drive and shoot in your own Lightining? Do you think you'd be better off in a heavier tank with a buddy?

Tanks almost seem to be the forgoton weapon.
Old 2002-11-06, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

In Battlefield 1942, if I'm not playing commando with my Medic, I'm in a tank. Now, as for driving fast and having weak armor, that to me spells death, at least by BF1942 standards. Tanks don't exactly have rapid fire weapons for the most part, and even though you are moving fast, you're still a large target. A few Lightnings for fast-attack purposes would work, but not as an actual battle tank. You need heavy armor for that.

Oh, and to answer the other question, I have no interest in piloting anything
Old 2002-11-06, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Enkidu
Contributor
Corporal

I plan on being a tank driver, and fast is the way to do it.

I just think it would be fun to haul butt across an open field, avoiding fire, and running over anyone that gets in your way.
Old 2002-11-06, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

What do you think is going to be more effective? Would you rather drive and shoot in your own Lightining? Do you think you'd be better off in a heavier tank with a buddy?
To hit the nail on the head, each will be better at different things and in different terrain. In places where a Lightning can't make use of its speed, a heavier tank would be superior. In a vast, open plain or desert setting, a Lightning would be superior. But, that's in a tank vs tank situation. If you're defending an area, a heavier tank would probably be better. If you're attacking a group of enemy players, not defending an installation, a Lightning would likely be a good way to go about it (attacking people who are en route to the front, for instance). Really, it all depends on what you want to use the vehicle for, and where you're using the vehicle.
Old 2002-11-06, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
RocketFodder
Keeper of h8ball

Heavy tank + me = carnage :o
Old 2002-11-06, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

In BF1942 Me + Tank = Carnage too.

Rocket and I will either have to team up, or Tank Duel one of these days
Old 2002-11-06, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Me + PzKpfw IV = Pack your bags, wars over.
Old 2002-11-06, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Crazed
Private

Idk, I wouldn't mind being the driver of a jeep, then deploying with a rifle/rocket and taking out personel and light vehicles. But then again I like to use all vehicles in the battle field. - first post.
Old 2002-11-06, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Tanks alot

Tanks rule.

Have you ever seen more than one tank attacking something in T2? It's glorious (or abso-freakin-lutely terrifying, depending on which side you're on). Lots of pretty green kaboomies.

I think we'll initially see a lot of 1-man tanks. As things become more organized, we'll start seeing the heavier tanks show up on the scene. A couple months after release, I predict that we'll start seeing armor columns. A full squad of tanks (5x2-man, 10x1-man, or 3x3-man) will be TOUGH to beat. How well these tank groups operate will depend on how well they can protect themselves from air attack. Most tanks have an AP chaingun or 20mm cannon that should work well.

You can always meet armor with armor, but gunships ought to be effective against them as well. We'll just have to *wait and see*.

Gah! Hate that phrase.
Old 2002-11-06, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

That's the one thing that drives me nuts about BF1942. The guy in the gunners seat is the best one to warn/defend against air attacks, but he's a sitting duck in that spot and get's owned way to fast.

So no one plays that spot.

If the tanks in Planetside are getting bombed from the air, and don't have a good way to defend against air attacks they'll be far less useful.
Old 2002-11-06, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea that poor guy sticking out the top of the tanks gets so owned.. I wonder how many people in that position got owned during real wars :x

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-11-06, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I imagine that tanks will be able to use their primary weapon on aircraft. Really, if that were the case, then the aircraft would probably be the thing getting smoked, not the tank. Aircraft probably doesn't have nearly as good of armor Anyway, as I was saying, if tanks can use their main gun on aircraft, then aircraft will have to make very good use of their mobility to strafe the tanks instead of duking it out, otherwise they'll be scrap metal in no time. In all honesty though, tanks should be accompanied by AA... either in the form of air-to-air, or surface-to-air (guys with rocket launchers and whatnot). Although something tells me the Lightning will be used as a decent anti-aircraft vehicle too.
Old 2002-11-07, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

In all my time playing BF1942, I have only hit one plane with the main gun, and Have only shot one down from the top gunners seat.

That makes the score..

Tanks: 2

Planes: 100's
Old 2002-11-07, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

I guess things are a little different on the demo servers.

I'm relatively even with the tank deaths/kills vs planes... say 2 or 3 to 1. Still in favor of the planes, but far closer than what you're talking about.
Old 2002-11-07, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Well if you count all the ones I have killed on the ground, or while their taking off I've gotton a lot more. It's just harder then hell to hit one with the main gun while it's in the Air.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion