Continental Control - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: all your quotes r belong to us
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-25, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Feign
Staff Sergeant

Continental Control

When the servers finally come online with the new patch I assume that all the facilities will be neutral again. Once everyone has done their mad land grab some interesting strategies will begin to form I think.

Taking the first bases linked directly to the waypoints of the other continents and then ammasing forces to defend those waypoint would allow a faction time to secure a continent as other factions would be required to HART to get in and any facilities in their control would not be able to be taken back once secured. This would allow for divide and conquer and surrounding tactics among the races which could greatly add to strategy on a more global level. Im eager to see squads merging under high level commanders and real missions to secure continents.

The way the lattice works I can see the nearest continents to sanctuaries quickly falling under one sided dominance and some serious battles taking place on continents like Searhus which would be a very pivitol continent to control. Of course the sheer number of players assures that no continent would ever be held particularly long without some serious effort.

I would like to see some kind of reward system for obtaining and holding continents, as they have for individual bases however because it would make people want to attempt this type of thing much more and form more of a unionship with fellow members of your faction.

Also I once participated in the dominance of a continent and it a very rewarding feeling looking at your map and seeing only your color. NC BLUE! Knowing that it was a job well done makes it feel very worthwhile when compared with some base captures which can seem like hollow victories sometimes.

Any comments?

Feign
Old 2003-04-25, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

It's too early to tell whether the lattice will choke out entire continents from one or two of the factions, but I don't think anything has been said to indicate that you cannot use warpgates outside of your matrix. If that was the case, then the whole change would be shit and the global map will quickly degenerate into holding the bases that border the gates and leaving the rest of the bases to idle.

The issue is more likely to come up when one of the empires is kicked entirely off of a continent. They will be unable to capture any bases on the continent if they can't first control the other side of the warp gate and the only recourse would be to try to starve the NTUs using scorced base techniques. If this really takes over half an hour to do, then what you will see are a lot of mule accounts in other empires spawning a ton of garbage just to sap the resources from a base.

An important issue with the lattice will be the impact of server resets. I could see a lot of angry players bitching if their hard work is lost every time the server comes down. It may be necessary to begin saving the state of each base in the event of a server outage.
Old 2003-04-25, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Feign
Staff Sergeant

Yes they will still be able to use the waypoint if you only control the base linked to it, but they wont be able to CAPTURE any other bases not linked to one they already control on the continent. So you guard the gates and move in on whats left. As you took over their bases they would have more and more trouble recapturing them as their options get cut off. The waypoint linked bases will have much more importance because any race without a controlled base on the cont will have to start there or bring a base to neutral before they can go anywhere else. A squad of Vanguards and a squad of Reavers would be pretty devastating guarding a small area like a waypoint. One step out of the bubble...

Feign
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion