Gillie Suit - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Vanu. The other white meat.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-08, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

Re: Gillie Suit

Originally Posted by Huma View Post
That's because snipers never really had a role in PS1. Considering the scale of combat and the size of the battlefield in PS2 snipers will fill the same role they have IRL. Provide intel, eliminate high value targets, and spread general confusion. Everyones role will be recognizable by jus looking at them so why not give snipers their signature suit? It's never been OP in any other FPS and I don't see it being OP in this one.
Besides it would really only allow them to move into and out of sniper nests without being detected. It's not like I'm saying they should be invisible.
its just that in ps, snipers fire neon lasers, no matter if you were totally invisable, after one shot everyone could see where you shot from. im not against the idea, but if the rifiles fire singal flares there isnt much of a point
Old 2011-08-08, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Why does everyone want to buff snipers?
It's called Character Class customization and the skill tree. It stands to reason that there will be a Sniper class and that SOE will already be planning on developing a skill tree for one. It also stands to reason that personal camouflage of some sort would be one possible upgrade, and a suit like he describes would be a good high-tech version of a ghillie suit.

In any case.. Huma, your version onf the Ghillie suit sounds like a good alternative to the one I outlined in your other thread on Cloakers and Jacking. In that thread I suggested the Sniper class could have access to 3 different armour suits:

"Combat Sniper" Rexo - 1 3x12 slot (for the sniper rifle), 1 3x9 slot (for sweeper, MA, etc), 2 pistol slots, no camouflage.
"Sniper Scout" Agile - 1 3x12 slot, 2 pistol slots, suit has a permanent camouflage pattern on it that's selectable at the term based on your anticipated environment (arctic, desert, forest, night).
"Ghillie" suit - has NO armour, 1 3x12 slot, 2 pistol slots, but instead of the "fringe" Predator-style cloaking ability that I believe PS2 cloakers will get, the armour slowly changes color to match the ground around the sniper so long as the sniper doesn't move. Full color change takes ~1 minute.

The Combat Sniper Rexo would be the armour they'd start out in, and the other to would need to be unlocked farther on down the tree.

I, too, am hoping that snipers in PS2 will have the ability to evolve into more of a sniper/scout role if they desire, so they could also have abilities like lazing targets and uploading Reveals and troop/unit numbers to commanders' tactical maps, etc. These more advanced suits (both mine and Huma's) would help them accomplish that goal w/o simply making them "Rexo's that cloak."

EDIT: opticalshadow, I'm willing to bet in PS2 that there will be a "flash suppressor" weapon attachment that can be unlocked by Snipers that will reduce or eliminate the glowing tracer from the Sniper's shots (I guess "tracerless ammo" would be a more appropriate name). There will probably be one that reduces the volume of the sniper rifle's report as well.

Last edited by Erendil; 2011-08-08 at 09:15 PM.
Old 2011-08-08, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
SKYeXile
Major General

That's because snipers never really had a role in PS1. Considering the scale of combat and the size of the battlefield in PS2 snipers will fill the same role they have IRL. Provide intel, eliminate high value targets, and spread general confusion. Everyones role will be recognizable by jus looking at them so why not give snipers their signature suit? It's never been OP in any other FPS and I don't see it being OP in this one.
Besides it would really only allow them to move into and out of sniper nests without being detected. It's not like I'm saying they should be invisible.
i think you mean they were not total pwn machines, they certainly had a roll though, and that is infantry supression. taking down people on base walls or coming out a doorway so that have to seek cover and cant firing on your advancing tropps to a backdoor or wall or something.

However in situation with low amounts of AA, a skeeter is going to do the job 10x better.
Old 2011-08-08, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Huma
Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
i think you mean they were not total pwn machines, they certainly had a roll though, and that is infantry supression. taking down people on base walls or coming out a doorway so that have to seek cover and cant firing on your advancing tropps to a backdoor or wall or something.

However in situation with low amounts of AA, a skeeter is going to do the job 10x better.
True but most people just look at it as BEP whoring so I was going to leave it at that. And yes a skeeter will do the same job better. Part of what I'm hoping for is the ability for snipers to effectively expand their role on the battle field. Snipers, like cloakers, shouldn't have to be one trick ponies. I see a lot of opportunity for snipers to really branch out with PS2.
Old 2011-08-08, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
NUBLERT
Private

I want to look like a shrubbery.

Camo does not work on the colorblind.
Old 2011-08-08, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Huma
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Real Lyte View Post
I want to look like a shrubbery.

Camo does not work on the colorblind.
Not true sir! I have a friend whos red/green color blind. We were playing Armored Corp:Project Fantasim and were taking turns in 1v1s with some friends. When it was my turn to play against my friend I changed the paint job to red and green. Then proceeded to beat the snot out of him while my friends kept telling him I was right in front of him. Good times good times.
Old 2011-08-09, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
morf
First Sergeant

Big red name over your head kinda makes this whole thread pointless.
Old 2011-08-09, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Huma
Sergeant

Originally Posted by morf View Post
You do realize that the giant red name doesn't show up until you put your reticule on someone right? That and we domt know if that's going to be te same in PS2.
Old 2011-08-09, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Can I get a Magrider that can cloak and hide its projectiles?
Old 2011-08-09, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Senyu
First Lieutenant

You do realize that the giant red name doesn't show up until you put your reticule on someone right? That and we domt know if that's going to be te same in PS2.
I dont know....sometimes when playing the names glitch out and become as big as my screen covering everything up. Anyone have idea why this happens?
Old 2011-08-09, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
CutterJohn
Colonel

Considering the sniper rifle outranges all other infantry weapons, one would think they don't need the added benefit of superior camoflage. Is it not enough to shoot from where you can't get shot back? You must be hard to detect as well?
Old 2011-08-09, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
NUBLERT
Private

Not true sir! I have a friend whos red/green color blind. We were playing Armored Corp:Project Fantasim and were taking turns in 1v1s with some friends. When it was my turn to play against my friend I changed the paint job to red and green. Then proceeded to beat the snot out of him while my friends kept telling him I was right in front of him. Good times good times.
Haha, full colorblind is much better.

Originally Posted by morf View Post
lol.
Old 2011-08-09, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

I'm not against a special sniper armor, but it needs restrictions to keep it at it's intended purpose.

- Lower Movement Speed
- Only one rifle slot, one pistol slot
- can't be used to pilot vehicles, except ATV's

If you want to be able to hide and kill from a distance, you should be screwed once you're found out. You shouldn't be able to yank out a Jackhammer and start blasting. Also it should require some work to get into position. No flying up to a mountain on a skeet and bailing in. Drive in on an ATV, then get into position.

That way the sniper serves it's purpose. It's a stationary killer who has to maintain his range to have survivability, but the ability to maintain that range is hampered by a slow movement speed to prevent people from constantly changing positions quickly. Once the enemy sets upon him, he should be screwed.
Old 2011-08-09, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

If you want to focus on the scout role of a sniper and enhance it's options, just think about an infil standing still on a hill 150 meters away from the base. There you have the perfect scout.

I don't see why anyone would like to add a stealth suit with a sniper slot... Oh wait, the dream of the 'infil with a large slot' would come true.

If you want scouting, do it in an infil suit! Maybe the CUD could work both ways and you could upload numbers or other tactical data. If you want to surpress a base or just an entry, you don't need the ghillie at all.

The camo with the changing pattern sounds cool though, but I'd say it would be an enhancement for everyone and every armour (and skill points wasted on that, the more skill point invested, the camo effect would grow and/or adjustment time would shrink).
Old 2011-08-09, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Elude
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Senyu View Post
Can I get a Magrider that can cloak?
Why do I like this idea as an upgrade!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion