Gillie Suit - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Quote me happy!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-11, 04:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: Gillie Suit

Originally Posted by Elude View Post
My main fear is the ability for squad leaders to stay unnoticed
With drop pods, this will not be possible. At best you'll have an infil squad leader sitting around doing nothing. While it's possible that they can keep hiding and spawning snipers. The counter is one heavy boot hanging around, killing the spawning squad as they fall, one by one, into his bullets. Infil still gets nothing done and the heavy pads his kill count.

Will people do this? I'm sure some will. Will it be effective? No.

I cannot tell you the number of times that I've dropped onto a continent as an infil, cloaked off from the pod and have a reaver spend 5 minutes in a circle pattern hunting until he found and killed me. If there's anything players in shooters love to do it's kill stealth units, no matter the cost.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.

Last edited by exLupo; 2011-08-11 at 04:57 AM.
Old 2011-08-11, 05:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Elude
First Sergeant

First of all we have no idea how the drop pods for squad spawning will exactly work, they might drop you 50 meters from your squad leader or more, they might even drop you right on top of him. We also don't know how fast they will come out of the sky or how large or small they will be. We do however know that you will see more drop pods coming down then you once did in the first game, we know this because of the inclusion of squad spawning.

As for reavers attacking spawning drop pods... We have no idea how these will work either, one of the early screenshots of Planetside 2 suggested that they could possibly be a two man vehicle like an Apache helicopter(if that really was a reaver). The pilot may fly over to a drop pod in hopes to destroy whatever player spawned from it, but that's truly up to the gunner.

We also do not know how reavers will maneuver this time around, but we do know they will be more difficult to fly according to the developers. Lets also not forget that unlike the first game, Planetside 2's landscape according to the developers will have much more vertical gameplay, this suggests that there will be many more places to hide, and less open death traps.

I believe a reaver would not last 5 minutes in the air if he were circling around drop pod locations looking for you in Planetside 2.

Just my assumption.

Last edited by Elude; 2011-08-11 at 05:30 AM.
Old 2011-08-11, 05:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

^^^ That all puts every idea under a microscope and accomplishes nothing but pointless obfuscation in the process.

Do we know nothing about the drop spawn system? Yes. However, we can reasonable assume that the pods will drop somewhere relevant to the squad leader. Also, we can reasonably assume these pods won't be invisible so watching them come down, especially if you're regularly killing off 9/10ts of the squad, shouldn't easily lead to the target location for air, boot or arty.

And while I did use the word "reaver" in my infil example, feel free to replace that with any other form of unit. I've had reavers, mossies, single pilot libs, mbts, lightnings, atvs, agiles, rexos, maxes and even other infils spend tons of time looking for me after I've dropped.

The point I was making is should be clear, just pan back from the issue for a second. Infil squad leaders will be pinpointed by drop pod areas and players will hunt them to the point of extinction, regardless of the means of propulsion be it jet, tread, wheel or boot.

This is getting into a really serious case of "what if you do X, Y, Z, 1, 2 and 3 all at the same time". You're overthinking the issue. Look at 2142 for an example of on-squad drop pod spawns. If you haven't played it, I'll let you know now that it is by no means a stealthy way to camp a location.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.

Last edited by exLupo; 2011-08-11 at 05:40 AM.
Old 2011-08-11, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The only way I'd be able to support anything remotely approaching sniper invisibility is if the only weapon they can fit in the rifle slot IS a sniper rifle. And the infiltration turns off when reloading or moving.

Old 2011-08-11, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

^^^ That was the impression I got. Some variation of Agile+ with a sniper rifle only large slot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-08-12, 01:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Kouza
Sergeant

OP.
Old 2011-08-12, 03:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Why's everyone so worried about spawn on SL? Its been stated that you can't continue to do so. Its like a 1 time ability with a cool down on it. Can't just keep respawning, same with the galaxy.

Adaptive Camo / gillie suit? Yes please. Comments about 50 snipers on a hill? ONE reaver or any vehicle would just about cream their pants for that opportunity.
Old 2011-08-12, 03:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Squad Spawning isn't a normal thing. It's deep in the tree and has a long as cool down as stated. So don't get used to the idea. Probably be awhile before we even see one in the game.

As for above post. Yes. One happy day for a Reaver Pilot.
Old 2011-08-12, 03:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

^^^

Culled from here:

Q: How will squad spawning be balanced?

Matt: Oh, wow. I'm a big fan, dude. I'm super geeked you replied to this. heh. Squad spawning is really tricky to balance, no doubt. What we haven't talked about are things like the requirements to do it (needs a relatively advanced spec'd squad leader in your squad to use) and it will be on some kind of cooldown based on the squad leader. It's definitely not designed to be your primary respawn method.

And that was that.
Old 2011-08-12, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Elude
First Sergeant

^

That's a relief.
Old 2011-08-12, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Hamma
PSU Admin

ah nice hadn't seen that

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-08-17, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't think snipers need to be any harder to find. They're already getting the OSKs (or so it currently seems), and they'll have those at a range and a manpower level unmatched by pretty much anything else in the game.
Old 2011-08-17, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
nathanebht
Sergeant

There is no prone in PS2. So I can't see a Gillie Suit being that effective.

Perhaps they could have a cloak that drops temporarily after each shot.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion