Sniper rifle trail - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So you fell off a galaxy eh!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-06, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

Re: Sniper rifle trail

Originally Posted by wasdie View Post
Snipers need to have a gameplay mechanic that keeps them on the move and makes them target only the more important targets that are on the battlefield. This will turn them into more of a recon/assassin role rather than just an infantry killer.

Right now in modern FPSs, snipers can dominate infantry fights. I don't want that to happen here. The trail of the tracer will make sure that snipers don't stay stationary for to long and it will make them pick their targets a bit more wisely. A good balance.

I don't want every other solider on the battlefield to be carrying a scoped rifle. That would just be no fun.
And it's not going to happen, cause believe it or not, sniping isn't exactly easy and efficient already as it is right now.

For one you have to stay covered from potential air strikes, MAXes are hardly vulnerable to sniper fire, medics can revive teammates potentially nullifying your kill, and even the more squishy targets more than often don't drop from 1 headshot.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I think it forces snipers to stay on the move, which is good in my opinion. You can still remain hidden, you can still scout and you can still take opportunities, you just can't do all 3 of those things at the same time without moving around.

What I don't want is for people to sit off on a hill somewhere totally stationary taking pot shots at people who are too busy with the local fighting to worry about locating some punk sniper 300m away. That kind of gameplay tends to remove the sniper from what's actually going on, so that he's playing in his own little world completely oblivious to anything but his own kill count. You can see the effects of this in any BF3 match, especially Conquest. It's not constructive gameplay for an objective based shooter like this.
False.

I can remember a dozen times where I, as LA with a Bolt Driver, was up on a moutain/hill a bit away from the base we currently were assaulting, scouting what was inside the CY, looking for incoming ANTs, spotting hidden enemy AMS' around the base, reporting it to my outfit and faction... all through the scope of a sniper rifle. To say it is not constructive game play in PS is simply false. Granted this could be done in other ways as well... but then we're back to that "make one class useless because some don't like them"-argument. And that is NOT constructive in PS if anything.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Cuross
Master Sergeant

Sure, the problem with snipers is that they're always "detached" from the fight, but that's a problem that snipers themselves also face. They realize that they are in no position to lend any further support than relaying information to their squad and taking out big threats. When I was sniping in PS1, I spent most of my time looking for enemy snipers and anti-armor and anti-air units because the normal grunts the rest of the infantry could take care of. Snipers that are looking to stat pad their K/D spread would be more of a hindrance than a help for their squad for all the reasons that you guys have mentioned. Now, the issue that people have to get over is that a sniper has one arch-nemesis: enemy snipers. Don't get me wrong, aircraft and shotguns hurt a lot, too, but only an enemy sniper can combat you on even terms. With that in mind, a lesson that all snipers have to learn is that your first action should always be counter-sniping.

Now for all the people annoyed with snipers and want to handicap them, there is nothing wrong with being killed by something you have no idea how to combat in PS2. I mean, look at it, they're expecting a thousand or more players on at any given time! Hundreds of players involved in a single fight, and snipers won't be able to help with taking a base or defending one. It's the objectives that count, the objectives that win, snipers are just helping their teams out from afar.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by diLLa View Post
It's hardly relevant though, because in a game where tanks and aircraft can 1 shot you in similar non-reactionable fashion, nerfing the sniper into uselessness seems pretty stupid.
I don't say they need to nerf the sniper into uselessness. And you can do more against a tank or aircraft then a sniper a km away. (rocket launchers, C4 etc.) And afaik, tanks and aircraft can't one shot you. Only way to counter a sniper a long distance away is to use a sniper yourself.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-06-06 at 10:17 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
I can remember a dozen times where I, as LA with a Bolt Driver, was up on a moutain/hill a bit away from the base we currently were assaulting, scouting what was inside the CY, looking for incoming ANTs, spotting hidden enemy AMS' around the base, reporting it to my outfit and faction... all through the scope of a sniper rifle. To say it is not constructive game play in PS is simply false. Granted this could be done in other ways as well... but then we're back to that "make one class useless because some don't like them"-argument. And that is NOT constructive in PS if anything.
There's always exceptions.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
I don't say they need to nerf the sniper into uselessness. And you can do more against a tank or aircraft then a sniper a km away. (rocket launchers, C4 etc.) And afaik, tanks and aircraft can't one shot you. Only way to counter a sniper a long distance away is to use a sniper yourself.
Well, the sniper itself has no counters to air and tanks., so there is your handicap. As an infiltrator you won't have anything like a rocket launcher or C4 at hand.

Often enough the best counter to snipers is just knowing where to walk and knowing where not to walk. If you constantly run through open space and die from snipers, then you just deserve it.

Try to headshot a moving target from 1 km away and then come back.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Redshift
Major

When I get killed by a sniper I get frustrated because you just can't do something about it. I can't kill him directly because I have an assault rifle and that is not really the gun you want to use to kill somebody a km away. It is easy to say that you need to jump in a fighter and fly over to him to kill him. But why? Why should I go far out of my way to get into a fighter, just to kill one person? I don't want do do that. What if i want to have a fun experience just fighting as infantry taking over a base It isn't fun when you are engaged with multiple people, to get killed by a sniper a km away.
tbh if no one on your team can be bothered to go and kill the snipers you deserve to be farmed by them.

It's pretty easy to dodge snipers in PS1 even in rexo, and it takes 30 seconds to surge to a hiltop in an infil suit and AMP the lot of them. With everyone having all certs open to them in PS2 it's your own problem if you cba to kill certain people.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
WVoneseven
Corporal

wah wah I couldn't have shot him so I couldn't save myself..... watch your surroundings as well as the sniper does... duck and cover like him too. Thats how you survive... tut tut.
Or get mad :P I mean it is what we are after in the first place! an emotional and damaging reaction!
Old 2012-06-06, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

This is another area where I prefer Planetside stay arcade-y. Dueling snipers is not fun for anyone but the snipers.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
False.

Agreed. Even in todays military, i can at least speak for the US on this, sniper teams are used as a logistical asset. They go into an area unseen and camp. Gathering information of enemy movement and providing additional intel. This information is crucial.

Edit: Also they arent called snipers in PS2, they are infiltrators. That name difference means a lot.

Last edited by SpcFarlen; 2012-06-06 at 10:23 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by diLLa View Post
Well, the sniper itself has no counters to air and tanks., so there is your handicap. As an infiltrator you won't have anything like a rocket launcher or C4 at hand.

Often enough the best counter to snipers is just knowing where to walk and knowing where not to walk. If you constantly run through open space and die from snipers, then you just deserve it.

As I said before:

It is easy to say that you need to jump in a fighter and fly over to him to kill him. But why? Why should I go far out of my way to get into a fighter, just to kill one person? I don't want do do that. What if i want to have a fun experience just fighting as infantry taking over a base It isn't fun when you are engaged with multiple people, to get killed by a sniper a km away.
So I should only stay in the inside of bases, buildings etc? Fun! If you talk about wide open deserts, yes. But that speaks for itself. You can't just always be in cover. And if a sniper kills me, fine. But then do make sure Snipers have tracer rounds and maybe some more things so you and your team atleast have an indication where he is coming from. Me saying that he should have a big sign over his head was of course just kidding. But there should be atleast a way to have an indication where he is coming from.

Yeah, it is harder. but not impossible

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-06-06 at 10:29 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
There's always exceptions.
Sure... like there's exeptions to infantry trolling around with boomers and kamikaze pilots crashing into things... to me it's all valid. It's annoying as hell seeing it and being the victim of it... but it's all valid as there's no exploitation or cheating involved. Same goes for snipers doing what they do...

For the record, I don't play sniper much at all... In PS I was mostly in the Reaver, and when breaching a base I was in a rexo. I do enjoy playing sniper at times though.

Last edited by Sabot; 2012-06-06 at 10:28 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Cuross
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by SpcFarlen View Post
Agreed. Even in todays military, i can at least speak for the US on this, sniper teams are used as a logistical asset. They go into an area unseen and camp. Gathering information of enemy movement and providing additional intel. This information is crucial.

Edit: Also they arent called snipers in PS2, they are infiltrators. That name difference means a lot.
Well, my main issue is with the sniper rifle and the trail giving them away. Sniping is just a role that can be played, but I still disagree with said rifle being traced back to the sniper. And this is where the discussion started :P
Old 2012-06-06, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

As I said before:

So I should only stay in the inside of bases, buildings etc? Fun! If you talk about wide open deserts, yes. But that speaks for itself.

Yeah, it is harder. but not impossible
Sure, you can stay in buildings the whole day if you dont want to risk to get killed once in a while by a sniper.

By that logic a sniper should stay in his own base to avoid aircrafts or counter snipers.

It's not that hard to avoid getting shot easily, just make correct decisions on where to walk and where not to walk. And actually try to use cover
Old 2012-06-06, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Satexios
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
This is another area where I prefer Planetside stay arcade-y. Dueling snipers is not fun for anyone but the snipers.
I like being a sniper because it takes patience to find the right target and shoot them through the head. I also knew that once I killed a guy I GTFO and do it all over again at a new position.

In PS1 it took a few shots to drop and you need to use the lower right dot of the rectangle to hit.

But you are simply saying "Dueling tanks is not fun for anyone but the tankers" so remove the tanks..

Are snipers strong? Yes they are.. but they can also be taken out with ease. That is the trade.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion