SOE Cash Idea: Nickname your guns - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: For only 3 easy payments of $99.99
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-08-02, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Wandering Mania
Private

SOE Cash Idea: Nickname your guns

I had an idea to be able to buy the ability to give your gun a nickname.

It may sound simple enuff, but on the kill screan you can see the persons wepon name as well as the other info.

So it would be somthing like (this person) killed you with (wepon true name) (wepon nickname) (persons BR) ectra ectra.

I just thought it would be a cool or funny thing to see if you got killed by the guy with the "Lazcannon" or the "Cosmic Banana".

All the gun names would still fall under the TOS and Nameing Rules, so if a nickname someone purchesed was foul then could be subject to punishment.
Old 2012-08-03, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hosp
First Sergeant

Re: SOE Cash Idea: Nickname your guns

I'll +1 This under 2 conditions:

First, no more than 2 nicknames per character. 1 for a preferred small arm, 1 for a preferred vehicle. If people are naming them it means it's a signature weapon for the person, and naming every weapon would make a name lose its meaning.

Second, The way of implementing killspam would make it to long. Need a less annoying way to show you got killed by "The Significant Other" or "In Amber Clad's Cannon" or "Orbital Strike Big" cus you know those names are gonna show up.
Old 2012-08-04, 01:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Wandering Mania
Private

I was thinking more like olny your main wepon can be nicknemed and if you chose to change it it replaces the old one. Also you would olny be able to see the other persons gun name on the "You got killed by" screen. The kill spam would show the normal stuff. That way every person (as I heard that there is 1 charicter per server) Will have one "named wepon" total.

For inctance if you are highly effective with a certan max setup you name your 2 wepons 1 name for exzamples sake "sally".
Then if you hop onto a medic class there is no named wepon for that class so people you killed will see no named wepon on the "you got killed by" screen.
Then when you hop back into your max setup that has the named wepons, thay will see You got killed by (this person) with the picture of your max and the guns setup "sally" under the guns names.
Also if you hop into a vehicle and killed some one nothing would show up.

But if you decided to buy a new nameing tag you could put it on for intance an MBT (Main Battle Tank) then it would remove the name from your MAX wepon setup, and when you killed someone with your named MBT thay saw that and with the MAX thay saw nothing diffrent than normal.

Yes I was thinking the same as it being your "Signiture" wepon. Weather it be a Tank, Aircraft or Infintry wepon you can olny have 1 at a time.

Last edited by Wandering Mania; 2012-08-04 at 01:14 AM.
Old 2012-08-04, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

If it could be engraved directly on the weapon... maybe. But we don't need more spam.
Old 2012-08-05, 01:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Wandering Mania
Private

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
If it could be engraved directly on the weapon... maybe. But we don't need more spam.
Well the normal text kill spam would not change from what it is. I was thinking olny on the "Killed by screen" could you see the bought name of the gun. So if you got killed by a person you could see it there but any one arround you that was looking at the kill spam would not see it.

But that is a good idea also. Each faction could have 2 or 3 diffrent text styles to chose from to give a bit of flavor so to speak rether than one text style per faction.
Old 2012-08-12, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
fb III IX ca IV
Corporal

So kinda like TF2?
Old 2012-08-12, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

i like it and i understand what you mean by the kill screen. you mean not the little so and so killed so and so in the corner, but the window that pops up to show who killed you.

would like the option for a vehicle though as that is what i'll mainly be doing is using vehicles, so nicknaming a tank or fighter would suit mme more than a gun, but to each his own and i think its a good idea.
Old 2012-08-12, 10:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

This is a cool idea and seems simple to implement! Nice.
Old 2012-08-13, 02:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Monsta
Corporal

Not really see the point of naming your weapons, I guess its more useful to know the real name of the weapon instead of only seeing a little image of it. Do like the idea of giving your vehicle a name so you still see the full name of the weapon that killed you.
Old 2012-08-14, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Wandering Mania
Private

Originally Posted by Duskguy View Post
i like it and i understand what you mean by the kill screen. you mean not the little so and so killed so and so in the corner, but the window that pops up to show who killed you.
Yes the kill spam that every one can see would be the same and unchanged. Also yes it would olny be shown in the window that poped up "you got killed by this person".

Originally Posted by Duskguy View Post
would like the option for a vehicle though as that is what i'll mainly be doing is using vehicles, so nicknaming a tank or fighter would suit mme more than a gun, but to each his own and i think its a good idea.
I was thinking more along the lines of if you wanted to name a gun, tank or aircraft it was doable but olny 1 could be named at any time. So if your best "wepon" was a tank then you would name the tank ectra ectra.

Originally Posted by Monsta View Post
Not really see the point of naming your weapons, I guess its more useful to know the real name of the weapon instead of only seeing a little image of it. Do like the idea of giving your vehicle a name so you still see the full name of the weapon that killed you.
Well in the "killed by" screen that pops up after you die it would show the real name of the gun and under it you could see if thay had it named. So if it was named it would be the person's signiture wepon. The normal "kill spam" would not be changed from what it is.

Originally Posted by fb III IX ca IV View Post
So kinda like TF2?
I would not know if it was like TF2 as I have never played it. But I was thinking more like "Full Metal Jacket" the movie, and the line of "Give your rifle a girls name.".
Old 2012-08-14, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Pvt Badger
Corporal

Originally Posted by Wandering Mania View Post

I would not know if it was like TF2 as I have never played it. But I was thinking more like "Full Metal Jacket" the movie, and the line of "Give your rifle a girls name.".
In TF2, when you got killed there would be a screen shot of your killer with a small window of the weapon he used to kill you. I have a sniper rifle called the "Machina" but named it "The Long Range Face Stab" with a simple Nametag. When I would kill someone the name I gave it would show up as well as a picture of the gun and its effects.

Last edited by Pvt Badger; 2012-08-14 at 11:51 AM.
Old 2012-08-14, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

I'd say that the first individual character to get 1,000,000 kills with a certain weapon configuration should have that configuration named after them. Allow players to purchase the customized weapon directly, and use it as-is regardless of their certs, but without any ability to modify the weapon further.

Or, yeah... just pay to name it works too....
Old 2012-08-14, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Wandering Mania
Private

Originally Posted by Pvt Badger View Post
In TF2, when you got killed there would be a screen shot of your killer with a small window of the weapon he used to kill you. I have a sniper rifle called the "Machina" but named it "The Long Range Face Stab" with a simple Nametag. When I would kill someone the name I gave it would show up as well as a picture of the gun and its effects.
Then maybe it could be like TF2 but still yeah kind of like that.

Originally Posted by Neurotoxin View Post
I'd say that the first individual character to get 1,000,000 kills with a certain weapon configuration should have that configuration named after them. Allow players to purchase the customized weapon directly, and use it as-is regardless of their certs, but without any ability to modify the weapon further.

Or, yeah... just pay to name it works too....
Well it would not be renameing a gun it would just be giveing it a nickname. Like a gauss carbine would still be named as such but would have a player made nickname as "killjoy" or the like.
In Full Metal Jacket there rifles true names are still what type of guns thay are but thay had the nicknames the marines in the movie gave them.

Also if you did that that would mean locking out certs that could tye in with other things on your own faction and would be a bad idea.

So for inctance if some guy was lucky enuff to get 1,000,000 kills with an unmoded, uncerted twords gun then renamed it after himself and some person bought it. Then that person has some certs locked out that no matter how long he played he could never aquire every cert in the game as Higby has said is possable with enuff time, skill or both.

My idea was just to have a gun, land or air vehicle nicknamed to show the people that you have killed with it that it is the wepon that you are best with.

Last edited by Wandering Mania; 2012-08-14 at 03:16 PM.
Old 2012-08-14, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

i understood about the best weapon only thing. however i dont think a vehicle cann be considered just a weapon. and so you could buy a nickname for your "best" vehicle, or buy a nickname for your "best" gun.
could be two different options in the cash shop. or it could be one cash shop option but span guns and vehicles so that you can name one thing, weapon or vehicle, and by purchasing the option again, you erase the name off the previous item because there can only be one "best"
Old 2012-08-14, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
sgtbjack
Corporal

This idea gives me warm and fuzzies. My first rifles name was Jasmine, lol

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault