If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Serving up destruction, one frag at a time.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-01, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dreamcast
Major

If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder?

Im taking a leap of faith but I think Planetside 2 is gonna be succesful in terms of business. I think they are going to get a lot of people to play it and I think they are gonna start a MMOFPS revolution....

Perhaps Planetside 2 won't live up to they hype of some of the Planetside 1 veterans but is still gonna be successful IMO.

So when this MMOFPS revolution starts, who do u guys think is gonna jump the bandwagon and steal Planetside's thunder....

I feel that Bungie is gonna make a Halo MMOFPS in fact I think bungie is making an MMOFPS already....if it comes out in e3...Is gg for Planetside 2 coverage.

I also see CoD jumping the bandwagon...They have a fanbase that play the game 24/7, and they would pay for monthly subscription I bet....and they are partners with Acti-blizzard so they could pull it off

Battlefield 3 might as well but im not sure if they would.....perhaps very later.

Planetside 2 has uniqueness right now since it will be the only MMOFPS on a massive scale but once the other popular games make MMOFPS...I wonder if Planetside 2 will be able to hang.

Planetside 2 will also be free so thats a plus...Doubt Halo,COD,BF MMO will be free.

I also expect Planetside 2 on PS4 eventually.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder?

Someone needs to do a modern theme MMOFPS,that's for sure.

Note: Modern theme MMOFPS =/= Battlefield.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Someone needs to do a modern theme MMOFPS,that's for sure.

Note: Modern theme MMOFPS =/= Battlefield.
I think CoD will make a Modern Warfare MMO.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Blizzard. Where blizzard goes, they destroy everything. Most popular strategy game of all time: Starcraft/Starcraft 2. Most popular dungeon crawl/fastest selling PC title ever pretty much: Diablo 3. Biggest MMO by more than double anything else: WoW. Most likely next biggest strategy game waiting to come out, Warcraft 4. Only possible MMORPG that can topple WoW? The next blizzard MMORPG.

In ever genre they have a game it's the biggest hit of them all. They have a fanbase so rabid it can devour anything. Makes me afraid.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

Blizzard hasn't made a shooter though.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
KnightHawk ECID
Corporal

COWADOOODY!!!
Old 2012-06-01, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Graywolves
General

I have too much fanboyism at this point to imagine anyone else doing this better.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
Blizzard. Where blizzard goes, they destroy everything. Most popular strategy game of all time: Starcraft/Starcraft 2. Most popular dungeon crawl/fastest selling PC title ever pretty much: Diablo 3. Biggest MMO by more than double anything else: WoW. Most likely next biggest strategy game waiting to come out, Warcraft 4. Only possible MMORPG that can topple WoW? The next blizzard MMORPG.

In ever genre they have a game it's the biggest hit of them all. They have a fanbase so rabid it can devour anything. Makes me afraid.
That's why I think CoD Modern Warfare MMO will be the biggest threat to Planetside

Last edited by Dreamcast; 2012-06-01 at 08:36 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Blizzard hasn't made a shooter though.
Blizzard and Activision r the same thing.....

They have infinity ward and treyarch who make CoD....Add Blizzard who has experience with MMO's....That's a good combo to make the best selling MMOFPS.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Not a big fan of cod and bf3. That shit is too frantic.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I really don't even see how you can look into this to be honest. I doubt any other major studios are looking at doing a MMOFPS at the moment. If anything PS2 will the the testing ground to see if this is will be a new hit in the gaming space. If it is we will see them however it will probably be years after PS2 is release. I personally see it as potentially a highly competitive genre, especially going the F2P model. If PS2 is big they will have a huge advantage verse potential MMOFPS games coming out in the future. PS2 could easily become the WoW of the genre...
Old 2012-06-01, 08:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I really don't even see how you can look into this to be honest. I doubt any other major studios are looking at doing a MMOFPS at the moment. If anything PS2 will the the testing ground to see if this is will be a new hit in the gaming space. If it is we will see them however it will probably be years after PS2 is release. I personally see it as potentially a highly competitive genre, especially going the F2P model. If PS2 is big they will have a huge advantage verse potential MMOFPS games coming out in the future. PS2 could easily become the WoW of the genre...
I really hope so but WoW wasn't the first MMORPG. But it was a Blizzard game. They hadn't made an MMO before WoW so to say they haven't made a shooter doesn't seem to matter I think it's there community and fans as a developer that carry them.

If they use an existing IP like Starcraft for an MMOFPS it's curtains for PS2 as the top dog.

But yea I agree CoD could probably do it too. Except the only reason I'd think maybe not is because CoD's audience isn't PC based as much and part of what people love about CoD is the small scale quick gameplay, if it became an MMO it wouldnt be CoD
Old 2012-06-01, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Blizzard and Activision r the same thing.....

They have infinity ward and treyarch who make CoD....Add Blizzard who has experience with MMO's....That's a good combo to make the best selling MMOFPS.
Activision Blizzard is the same thing*
Old 2012-06-01, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
KnightHawk ECID
Corporal

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Activision Blizzard is the same thing*
Correction anything in contract with EA or Activision is to do only as told by their master.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
I really hope so but WoW wasn't the first MMORPG
Planetside 2 isn't the first MMOFPS either.

I think with all the attention PS2 is starting to get that any future MMOFPS will have the 'wowclone' effect.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion