Destructable Environment - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Overusing emoteicons since 2003.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-18, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Alox
Private

Destructable Environment

How destructible is the environment going to be?

I really love the way it is done in Battlefield, where you can shoot down trees, houses and make holes through walls.

I imagine that there can be some challenges with making this work in a persistent world without some scheme for repair/rebuild. But it will really add to the feeling of the battles - so heres for hoping that some destructibility will happen in Planetside 2.
Old 2011-07-18, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Volw
First Sergeant

Re: Destructable Environment

Originally Posted by Alox View Post
How destructible is the environment going to be?

I really love the way it is done in Battlefield, where you can shoot down trees, houses and make holes through walls.

I imagine that there can be some challenges with making this work in a persistent world without some scheme for repair/rebuild. But it will really add to the feeling of the battles - so heres for hoping that some destructibility will happen in Planetside 2.
That's not the biggest challenge. THE issue is writing a netcode capable of synchronising all of the destruction happening to all clients.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-18, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Kietharr
Private

Not going to happen. If it was in, it's the sort of feature that would've been announced already. As the poster above me said, the netcode issues would be horrific.
Old 2011-07-18, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Well, they did say that anything player-created can be player-torn-down. So if an outfit put a tower somewhere, someone else can in fact destroy it ^^ But that's long term plans.
Old 2011-07-18, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Lunarchild View Post
Well, they did say that anything player-created can be player-torn-down. So if an outfit put a tower somewhere, someone else can in fact destroy it ^^ But that's long term plans.
there is a 'slight' difference between being able to destroy something and being able to punch holes through buildings....
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-18, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
MgFalcon
Captain

I could a shitstorm of lag if all the environment was destructible, nevermind all the explosions and gunfire and laZerZ, and pew pew, and explosions!
Old 2011-07-18, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
there is a 'slight' difference between being able to destroy something and being able to punch holes through buildings....
Nope. Games that do destructible environments in multiplayer just use damage models. There is no simulated breakage of parts like the digital molecular matter, just the mesh swaps. The damage is identical to everyone, and identical every time its damaged. The particle effects/rubble are different depending on settings, but those are just graphical only.

Breakable walls would be little different than a door.

It would not be a network issue unless there was a lot of it. It is, however, a big content creation issue, as well as a balancing issue.

Craters can be done pretty easy too. Heightmap alteration. Just slap a decal there and it changes.
Old 2011-07-18, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ShowNoMercy
Corporal

a destructible environmental wouldn't work in a game that has unlim ammo
Old 2011-07-18, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
a destructible environmental wouldn't work in a game that has unlim ammo
Yeah, it would because it still uses up the most precious commodity in Planetside: time.
Old 2011-07-18, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

10 minutes after the game launched the world would be in ruins, there would be no more tree, no more walls, no more buildings.

How would you handle re-spawning of world objects? Do tree grow back slowly? Do they just pop back up at the stroke of midnight. When do walls, and bases re-spawn? Is it left up to the engineers to rebuild the world? Do bases magically re-build themselves the instant they are captured by a different empire?

A destructible environment just would not work in a persistent, endless game. It works in battlefield because the game is based around rounds. Every round resets everything. PlanetSide doesn't have that luxury.
Old 2011-07-18, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Bags
Lieutenant General

As hilarious as it is to accidentally kill myself in Crysis with a falling tree, I don't think it would work too well in Planetside.
Old 2011-07-18, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Redshift
Major

the number of players in PS you could reduce a base to slag and rubble in a few minutes, i'm not sure it would work well
Old 2011-07-18, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea this won't be in the game at release for sure, there are just to many variables to consider.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-18, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by PsychoXR-20 View Post
10 minutes after the game launched the world would be in ruins, there would be no more tree, no more walls, no more buildings.

How would you handle re-spawning of world objects? Do tree grow back slowly? Do they just pop back up at the stroke of midnight. When do walls, and bases re-spawn? Is it left up to the engineers to rebuild the world? Do bases magically re-build themselves the instant they are captured by a different empire?

A destructible environment just would not work in a persistent, endless game. It works in battlefield because the game is based around rounds. Every round resets everything. PlanetSide doesn't have that luxury.
Generally this is the big problem with MMO + Destructive environment yes. There are ways they could regenerate the terrain, such as when no players were around it, but its still problematic.

Its a shame though because after playing BFBC2 and with BF3 having even more, destructible environment totally changes the game in a positive way.

But it would be very hard to work in a persistent world. There are ways but none that would work well if the territory was actively in use and the more players there are the worse it gets.
Old 2011-07-18, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Yea this won't be in the game at release for sure,
I thought I heard one of the devs in a Q&A video say, something like it may be in further down the line. But they may just be referring to the outfit bases or sandbox type content. Not "destructible" like Battlefield
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion