High Altitude Stalling - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Tell 'em why Earl!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-20, 02:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: High Altitude Stalling

Yes, i'm aware that realistically they would be able to, but I just don't think it would be a good idea to let them drop from so high AA on the ground can't respond.
Old 2011-07-20, 03:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Miir View Post
I know the dev team has mentioned that the flight model on air vehicles will be more realistic in Planetside 2. I'm really excited to see just how real it feels.
Great idea about the varying stall heights -- I think that would add a lot to the strategy of certain attacks.

I can't wait to see a gameplay video of 1st or 3rd person flight that shows off the flight model and view distance. View distance was already incredible in PS, but I have a feeling we're in for a treat this time.

-HC13
Old 2011-07-20, 04:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Traak
Colonel

At a certain altitude, you get a warning. At a higher altitude, you simply blow to bits.

Just like moving outside the boundaries of the continent. Simple.
Old 2011-07-20, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Zulthus
Colonel

Along with this, I'd welcome a detailed cockpit view instead of an altitude meter and crosshair.
Old 2011-07-20, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I've no issues with aircraft flying really high, and well beyond the range of AA. Air superiority fighters would have to keep the skies clear up there.

The only real limitation should be that air can't, or can't reliably, attack from up there. Like dropping bombs and soldiers from a galaxy(no oxygen!). To do those things you should be within the range of ground based AA.
I'd say if you can't see a bomb coming from that far away, you deserve to be pwnt by it.

I'd love to be able to hot drop at extreme heights, sounds super fun to me.
Old 2011-07-20, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Yes, i'm aware that realistically they would be able to, but I just don't think it would be a good idea to let them drop from so high AA on the ground can't respond.
Properly flown Galaxies should be able to skirt AA, AA shouldn't be supreme. If you want stuff flying around out of AA range shot down... get pilots on your side.

Old 2011-07-20, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Desoxy View Post
I agree, they could do some real nifty things with the new PhysX system, as long as we do NOT end up with this:

DCS: Black Shark -Clean Start up Procedure
If they maybe cut the complexity 3/4's, I honestly wouldnt mind having this. But if you think about it, this is a "cold start", obviously they could implement a "warm" start once it's been already flown and landed, so that next lift would just be you getting in and turning on the HUD. But that's my idea.
Old 2011-07-20, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Traak
Colonel

Regarding your signature:
I remember when my PC was aweseome...

PC's, like LTR's or anything, are completely replaceable.
Old 2011-07-20, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
Regarding your signature:
I remember when my PC was aweseome...

PC's, like LTR's or anything, are completely replaceable.
you're replaceable too, did you know? lol
Old 2011-07-20, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Raymac
Brigadier General

Yeah, this stalling idea is only a million times cooler than the invisible ceiling thats in PS1 now. I freakin love it! Falling back to earth hoping your engines will kick back on again and you can pull out of the dive in time. Classic action movie moment. (I live for those moments in Planetside) Maybe it could even be part of the pilots' skill tree, "improved chances of stall recovery" or something like that.
Old 2011-07-20, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
Such a system would create a "soft cap" by offering your diminishing performance returns. Eventually, you'd hit the hard cap by virtue of just not being able to generate enough upward thrust to go higher, and trying would, yes, stall you out.
I prefer this idea to an instant stall since it's realistic. <science>The higher you are the lower the atmospheric pressure, and the less lift you can produce, so you fall back towards the planet until you regain enough lift</science>. Therefore I would propose a maximum cruising altitude (you start floating back down) and a maximum altitude (hard stall). That allows the warning at the ceiling cap in a more intuitive and recognisable way.

Different maximum altitudes is a cool idea too: faster aircraft should be able to fly higher. If such a thing as a SkyGuard exists it should be able to hit heavy aircraft (AA MAXs can climb towers to do the same). Using pilots for air supremacy will still be necessary because enemy aircraft will be able to attack the heavier planes from above.
Old 2011-07-20, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Lartnev View Post
I prefer this idea to an instant stall since it's realistic. <science>The higher you are the lower the atmospheric pressure, and the less lift you can produce, so you fall back towards the planet until you regain enough lift</science>. Therefore I would propose a maximum cruising altitude (you start floating back down) and a maximum altitude (hard stall). That allows the warning at the ceiling cap in a more intuitive and recognisable way.

Different maximum altitudes is a cool idea too: faster aircraft should be able to fly higher. If such a thing as a SkyGuard exists it should be able to hit heavy aircraft (AA MAXs can climb towers to do the same). Using pilots for air supremacy will still be necessary because enemy aircraft will be able to attack the heavier planes from above.
No, what I think they should do, is that the closer to the stall point you get, the more your alarms go off(which would mean the air density has gone below recommended and stall is imminent), Which is another thing they should add. When you're going down due to heavy damage, have the alarms go off! That'd be awesome. But yea, once you go get up to the stall point, have the craft react violently due to turbulence and then once you get passed the soft point of stall, have the power cut to 20% and drop the nose till it's at 90% of stall point.

is it wrong for me to get an erection during post? :P
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-20, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

As long as it gave you a little warning prior to the stall... Hate to see bombers or gal pilots accidentally stall while trying to maximize altitude.
Old 2011-07-20, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
As long as it gave you a little warning prior to the stall... Hate to see bombers or gal pilots accidentally stall while trying to maximize altitude.
Definitely. They already give us a warning that we are approaching the flight ceiling, so I'd assume they're doing the same for PS2 in some form.
Old 2011-07-20, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Infektion View Post
No, what I think they should do, is that the closer to the stall point you get, the more your alarms go off(which would mean the air density has gone below recommended and stall is imminent), Which is another thing they should add. When you're going down due to heavy damage, have the alarms go off! That'd be awesome.
Agreed, a "Stall warning!" voice prompt and alarm would be good near the hard cap so new players know why their aircraft just became a flying rock but not all the time. And yes to some sort of shrill alarm telling you to bail out when you're heavily damaged (because health and safety is a concern on Auraxis )*.

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
The beauty of a soft and hard cap is you can't get to the hard cap by just flying normally, you can go above the soft cap a bit but will then find it hard to climb any further. The only way to hit the hard ceiling (and stall the aircraft) is by gunning it vertically with full throttle and afterburners. Then you're just asking for it

*Assuming you get xp for destroying the aircraft and/or a kill from the resulting explosion.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion