List of issues that can be used for comparing PS1 to PS2 when the time comes - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: what do u mean there is no pie
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-15, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: List of issues that can be used for comparing PS1 to PS2 when the time comes

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Comparing concerns/changes on a item-by-item basis is not useful. It's how the changes interact with each other to create the experience they are going for.

A better approach would be to list the goals of PS2 and how they are delivering on those goals.
In your opinion. Who cares if they make individual bad decisions as long as other decisions make up for it, is that what you're saying?

Of course, that's the point of organizing it all together. So that you can put it all together and look at it macro as well as micro. I disagree, obviously things need to be looked at individually as well as on the whole.

But if you'd care to list some ideas of macro goals, we can look at those as well.

Example: Game pacing. We'd want to look at squad spawning, time to kill(and all the subcategories, recoil, deviation etc), sprinting speed, and anything else. But those things all need to be analyzed individually too.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-04-15 at 04:22 PM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-15, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: List of issues that can be used for comparing PS1 to PS2 when the time comes

I'm saying look at the big picture in how things interact rather than focusing on a single thing. Nothing lives in isolation in this game.

The inability to see the big picture is part of the problem. It'll improve once we start playing the game and see how all these design decisions interact.
Old 2012-04-15, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I'm saying look at the big picture in how things interact rather than focusing on a single thing. Nothing lives in isolation in this game.

The inability to see the big picture is part of the problem. It'll improve once we start playing the game and see how all these design decisions interact.
Well, by all means we can do that. In fact, if we could get a few more micro issues listed, maybe you could group them into macro issues. Just using game pacing as an example, what happens if spotting increases the pace, but TTK slows it, or what is the effect of higher sprint speed if nothing else changes, etc.
Old 2012-04-15, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
In your opinion. Who cares if they make individual bad decisions as long as other decisions make up for it, is that what you're saying?
I believe this is where you are falling short. A "bad" idea may not be bad at all in the right context.

It is a very "bad" idea in Tribes Ascend to give light, medium, and heavy armors access to weapons that can kill light armor in one shot AND do significant splash damage. Enter skiing and jetpacks and high speed gameplay and it balances itself out.

Having fast travel speeds and high altitude battles doesn't "make up" for weapons that can one shot light armor, the two systems work together to form a cohesive system.

I actually like your idea of having some kind of basic comparison of the two games, but it is a bit lacking atm.
Old 2012-04-15, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I believe this is where you are falling short. A "bad" idea may not be bad at all in the right context.

It is a very "bad" idea in Tribes Ascend to give light, medium, and heavy armors access to weapons that can kill light armor in one shot AND do significant splash damage. Enter skiing and jetpacks and high speed gameplay and it balances itself out.

Having fast travel speeds and high altitude battles doesn't "make up" for weapons that can one shot light armor, the two systems work together to form a cohesive system.

I actually like your idea of having some kind of basic comparison of the two games, but it is a bit lacking atm.
It's funny you mention that, I just redownloaded Tribes Ascend. It's kind of like BF2 bunny hopping on steroids. I found myself up close with an enemy heavy(I was light) with a stormhammer(that's what it was called back in original tribes lol), the spinfusor and it can easily 1 hit kill, so it's like, making a constant effort to balance your jetpack so that you keep away from his 1 hit long enough to hit him 2-3 times.

Bit of an overkill example, since hopefully Planetside jetpacks aren't going to be like that...

bur seriously, since I don't see the big picture as well as others, anyone who wants to group the individual issues under more macro concepts that they would go under(and individual issues can go under more than one macro issue), you're welcome to do so. I'll update them to the original post.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-04-15 at 04:52 PM.
Old 2012-04-15, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Bit of an overkill example, since hopefully Planetside jetpacks aren't going to be like that...
Just an extreme for the purpose of illustration. Take the extreme speed away and heavies would be dominating lights all day.

That doesn't make the speed and jetpacks good or bad, nor the high damage/low armor good or bad. It just makes them a unique system that stands alone.

Take jumpjetting VS MAXes from PS1 for example. It had some balance issues, but for the most part it didn't destroy entire sections of gameplay. Clearly from what we have seen of PS2, having jumpjetting MAXes would be an extreme problem due to balance and level design. Even if all 3 sides had jumping MAXes it would probably fuck up the game, much less having a single side have them.
Old 2012-04-15, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Stardouser
Colonel

Well, in Tribes, it's pretty much damn hard to track and fire at someone with an automatic weapon while they are jetting, they are that fast. If there has been any video out showing PS2 jets, I haven't seen it, so making a guess I would guess that PS2 jumpjets won't be so fast that you are unable to track and shoot them. The real key with jets, provided they aren't too fast, is them getting up where they can fire at you from cover.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-04-15 at 05:02 PM.
Old 2012-04-15, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Well, in Tribes, it's pretty much damn hard to track and fire at someone with an automatic weapon while they are jetting, they are that fast. If there has been any video out showing PS2 jets, I haven't seen it, so making a guess I would guess that PS2 jumpjets won't be so fast that you are unable to track and shoot them. The real key with jets, provided they aren't too fast, is them getting up where they can fire at you from cover.
Just google 45min PS2 gdc footage. The jumpjets aren't that bad. More like a quick straight up version on PS1's Vanu Max jets.
Old 2012-04-15, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
This is the worst thread I've seen on these forums by far.

/remove
Thanks for the thread crap! I guess you don't believe in analysis of games. You're more than welcome to stay out.
Old 2012-04-15, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Stay on topic guys. Don't derail the thread.
Old 2012-05-18, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Stardouser
Colonel

I was only able to get this list up to 27 issues. PS1 vets, help me get it completed.

In a few weeks we will begin to have enough information to start filling it in with comparisons.

At this preliminary stage we could already make a TTK comparison.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion