Can SOE confirm a cinematic for Planetside 2? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Mix Red and Blue together and you get Purple, how ironic!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-17, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Kipper
Captain

Re: Can SOE confirm a cinematic for Planetside 2?

I think it would be nice to do a trailer that starts off non-gameplay, showing how people got to Auraxis in the first place, and how one lot of people became three different factions - TR stayed close to their roots, NC formed a sort of anti-TR rebellion, and VS found some alien artifact and decided to worship it and dress in purple.

Then switch to a cinematic of the three factions kicking the snot out of each other.
Old 2012-04-17, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Cinematic trailers dont help you game. It only makes your game look bad. Why? Because you obviously spend loads of time and efford into a cinematic trailer, instead of showing the game itself.

Dont try to sell action and random cuts in a cinematic. Its pointless.

If you have to do a cinemantic, make it a short film. Recap the story of how Humanity found auraxis, show the fleet that went through the wormhole, show the struggle to stay alive, show the fighting on those ships, show how Connery died, show how Auraxis was found and terraformed, show how good life was on Auraxis for a whole lot of years, and show how it all breaks apart and the war starts. Tell a story, and you get fans. Show action just because you can, and all you get is "LOL F2P GAME MUST LOOK CRAP".
Old 2012-04-17, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Cinematic trailers dont help you game. It only makes your game look bad. Why? Because you obviously spend loads of time and efford into a cinematic trailer, instead of showing the game itself.

Dont try to sell action and random cuts in a cinematic. Its pointless.

If you have to do a cinemantic, make it a short film. Recap the story of how Humanity found auraxis, show the fleet that went through the wormhole, show the struggle to stay alive, show the fighting on those ships, show how Connery died, show how Auraxis was found and terraformed, show how good life was on Auraxis for a whole lot of years, and show how it all breaks apart and the war starts. Tell a story, and you get fans. Show action just because you can, and all you get is "LOL F2P GAME MUST LOOK CRAP".
I think the OP suggests the story cinematic, because non-engine action cinematic is most commonly welcomed as a colorful wrapping for a piece of crap. Escpecially when it comes to F2P, idd.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-04-17, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Exit/Enter animations are sorely needed to make this a more solid, grounded game.
I agree.

I can't think of any other MMO where there's actually an animation for climbing onto your mount or into a vehicle. I think this will really put PS2 above all its competitors, FPS or otherwise.

That being said, if they have time to do a cinematic also, I'd love to see it and share it around to my friends!
Old 2012-04-17, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

To strengthen the point about cinematics:

DCUO most viewed CINEMATIC:
Justice League (DC Universe) 2012 Trailer [HD] - 18,768,473 views
DCUO most viewed GAMEPLAY VIDEO:
DC Universe Online: Gameplay with HEXAGON PART 1 - 659,602 views

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-04-17 at 09:52 AM.
Old 2012-04-17, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
I agree.

I can't think of any other MMO where there's actually an animation for climbing onto your mount or into a vehicle. I think this will really put PS2 above all its competitors, FPS or otherwise.

That being said, if they have time to do a cinematic also, I'd love to see it and share it around to my friends!
I haven't played many MMO's, but I was messing around with Lord of the Rings Online a few months back and it had animations for getting into your horse. Of course the horse did just suddenly appear next to you right before you got on it, but there was an animation.

I love animations. It's actually one of the few reasons I used to think the comparisons between Halo and Planetside weren't completely unjustified and that it was one of the few things that both games shared that were legitimately great improvements between them and other games.

It won't ruin Planetside 2 for me without them, but if and when they add them back, it will make me very, very happy.
Old 2012-04-17, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Furber
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post

This

Whether or not it's real game play, it's an awesome way to get hype for a game. Many of us agree that Planetside1 was under-advertised, so a cinematic trailer for Planetside2 would be a step in the right direction.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-17, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by Furber View Post
This

Whether or not it's real game play, it's an awesome way to get hype for a game. Many of us agree that Planetside1 was under-advertised, so a cinematic trailer for Planetside2 would be a step in the right direction.
DCUO was my last project and I can tell you that trailer was enormous and resonated with our audience.

Of course DCUO isn't PlanetSide 2, but I can't remember the last AAA game I saw that didn't have a cinematic trailer. In fact many of the DLC's I've purchased this year even had cinematic trailers.

I'm confused as to why there is a relationship between animations and a trailer, but I can assure you the animations will be as smooth as possible.
Old 2012-04-17, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Vash02
Major

Yeah, the point about cinematics is to get the name out there and peoples interests piqued. People can find the gameplay trailers if they want to see it.
Really, its not as if they are not going to make gameplay trailers because they are making a cinematic trailer. I'm guessing they will be paying an outside company to do the cinematic.
You can have both.

If the PS2 cinematic is anything as good as the DCUO one I'd have to throw my pants away.
Old 2012-04-17, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Fenrod
Sergeant

Misc Info

Buh, I totally agree with you Xyntech. Animations make the game alive, and when I see a soldier teleporting into a vehicle, it just makes me sad.
Old 2012-04-17, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

I would love to see some sort of video capture system to make sort of like a Machinima type videos. Honestly I would love to see say a machinima cutsceene for like traveling to a diffrent cont/planet or switching empires. Just have an option to say play everytime, only once, or not at all.
Old 2012-04-17, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
DCUO was my last project and I can tell you that trailer was enormous and resonated with our audience.

Of course DCUO isn't PlanetSide 2, but I can't remember the last AAA game I saw that didn't have a cinematic trailer. In fact many of the DLC's I've purchased this year even had cinematic trailers.

I'm confused as to why there is a relationship between animations and a trailer, but I can assure you the animations will be as smooth as possible.
If you do not put in Enter/Exit animations in game. Then you should not include them in the CG cinematic.

Think how epic that would be, and hard to make a compelling cinematic.

Personally, I always thought star ship troopers should have just cut all the loading scenes too. Yes I'm being extremely sarcastic to make a point. <3 Lack of Enter/Exit makes the game less epic, it also makes it boring to watch Machinima based on it.
Old 2012-04-17, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post

Thank you NewSith, you found a good example of what my point is about. Cheers for that!

Ok folks I'm more than sure in this thread not one person doesn't want enter and exit animations. But..... these will be for current players only. however a cinematic for the game will be for current and "new" players of the game. In no way does EnE animations help bring in new folks, and that people is my point. Look at the number folks, take a look, at every video every stream every twitter. The number are not good for Planetside, and I hate to say it as I know the devs are here and they may be breaking all goals, but the numbers are about the same as Planetside 1. And that's with all the new internets we have.

There just seems to be one corner of the market this game is not reaching, and I know there is a limited budget. But I believe we have to hit that corner and hit it hard. And I think a good video that is easy to watch, looks good, shows off the game is a bloody good step in the right direction.

We at this site all know how fucking cool this game will be, as most of us played PS1. But the other 20,000,000 gamers out there have no idea. Now without a good "hook" to pull them into the arena where we can show them "in game footage" how do we break the barrier?

Anybody know the queen of blades? How do you remember her?

A. A small pix-elated model within SC2
B. A fucking god dam sexy woman monster thing from a cinematic ravaging hell upon the Protoss dude??

The community can help promote this game 20 fold, but without gaming content we cant. We need MOAR! Everything SOE and the Planetside team do, we can multiply as we have seen from some of the recent fan made trailers. So if SOE do a fantastic trailer/cinematic, then that will speak for its self, then the community will take it and bake it for 20 mins and end up with a fucking massive awwssomm pie!

the animations they talk about RadarX are the (enter and exit) animations. But this has no direct link to the trailer, but more the time frame needed to make it. They argue about spending time on making PS2 look nice for its gamers rather than spend time pulling in potential new users.

Remember folks, EnE animations can always be added at a later date. But if the game fails through lack of new players, then it will never recover.

Prioritise......

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2012-04-17 at 11:24 AM.
Old 2012-04-17, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Raymac
Brigadier General

I see what you did there. Thank you for the subtle confirmation.

Old 2012-04-17, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

The DCUO trailer is awesome btw. I'd gladly sacrifice e/e animations for an extra 10k players.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion