not to say the game isn't fun... - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Yes, the thong comes in pink too.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-21, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Russkie
Private

To Add...

I also believe that the reason why a lot of the people are reacting to this game in this fashion is due to the fact that this MMOG's owners so far are mostly CS, Trives, Q3 people, rather than EQ, AC, AO people.

So people are looking for some sort of ending or conclusion like these shooters do (Deathmatch, CTF, Assault, etc).

Let me just say this to the FPS people. These type of games aren't meant to have an ending. Even though it might make more sense in reality or to FPS people, all preceeding MMOG's have been this way.
Old 2003-04-21, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Homicide
Corporal

Well this is not your average MMOG..... its a MMOG/FPS hybrid.

I have played EQ and DAoC and would have liked them both better if they did have some form of ending.
your damned if you don't.
Old 2003-04-21, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Chanfan
Staff Sergeant

Actually, I'll have to kind of agree with him here.

I perfectly understand the play balancing aspects, and the need to make things set up so folks must work as a team. Different weapons should have their advantages and disadvantages.

Still� it is a hard pill to swallow that an infantry takes more than a few hits to wack with a fargin' anti-aircraft missile.

Now, I don't want �ber-realism. I'm fine with putting play balance first. But, it is very, very jarring to see a infantry take several of those missiles - so much so that it knocked me out of my immersion when I ran into it in VR training.

I'd prefer it if it followed a more realistic feeling approach, with the same results. Perhaps only allowing the missiles to be fired at targets they can lock on to - air targets - and having a anti-infantry secondary weapon. Perhaps having the missiles be more effective - say only 2 hits to wack a full up infantry - but having them be very wildly inaccurate unless locked on to air targets.

Same thing with the anti-armor stuff - it's just hard to swallow that something that can punch through a tank won't do the same to an infantry guy.

It is just a game, I know - but I'd rather it play more like a sci-fi movie than a cartoon.
Old 2003-04-21, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Chanfan
Staff Sergeant

There's a reason gunners didn't fire flak guns at soldiers in WW2...
Well, they did often enough, actually.

The 88mm gun started out as a FLAK gun, but it was discovered that it made a great anti-armor gun as well. It was also used on soft targets when needed.

The bit in Saving Private Ryan where the Germans are using a quad AA gun on the infantry happened with some frequency.

.50 Caliber MGs aren't supposed to be used on troops - but are so often that the common excuse arose that one was "shooting at his equipment".

The real reason you don't employ anti-air or anti-armor weapons against infantry is generally twofold.

Firstly, they tend to be expensive and in limited supply. Not really the case in PS, alas.

Secondly, normally you have access to other weapons designed for that role that are generally more effective at it. It's much easier to move around a machine gun than it is to move a flak gun.

I do think BF1942 has got a good feel for anti-tank vs. anti-air vs. anti-infantry, so it can be done, without having an overpowering single weapon.
Old 2003-04-21, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Jakal
Staff Sergeant

Yeah chanfan i have to agree on both points. In 42 the flak gun is actually pretty good at killing inaftry. 1 or 2 shots they die. Also i dont really see why the game cant end in like 6 months. That's still more persistant than most fps's. Also i think the matrix idea (or network idea) thats been thrown around here is pretty good. Basically all bases are connected by a network (it wouldn't be a real network just a system)u can only take a base if u have a base that is connected to it on the network. This promotes a constantly moving front line and then people wont be as likely to ignore attacking if they are more likely to see a fight on defense. Also this helps in terms of persistancy because locking a continent will have meant that you fought real hard for every base. And that means something. Theres more detail on this somewhere on psu but i cant remember the thread.
Old 2003-04-21, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
joshts0
Private

I agree that MMOG's aren't supposed to end.. but they would make more sense if the did.

This, in its current form, isn't ideal.. but something like..
If one empire takes over every continent... world domination.

So you would win... and thats almost an impossible thing to do..

So, award anybody that was a part of it something.. of some
fashion.. I don't know what...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion