[Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: while your girlfriend is at my house!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-11, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #166
LegioX
First Sergeant

Re: [Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR

All of you realize hatswitches have the same concept as Trackir right? The only difference in Trackir is that you have a free flowing motion from left wing view to front view. However, both give the same views. So would a hatswitch make the game unbalanced compared to people who fly with mouse? Think about it.
Old 2012-06-14, 02:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #167
HoovesMcG
Corporal

So Id love to get an answer from Higgles or SOE on this. Is PS2 going to support trackIR or other head tracking tech? This is seriously the one thing determining my time between ARMA 3 and PS2. See, I know ARMA 3 will have it. But if PS2 has it, Ill be a customer for a LONG time. Its maybe the one game that can pull me from the ARMA series. SO how about it SOE?
Old 2012-06-14, 02:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #168
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

I don't think it will need built in support, we have seen that there is a way to 'free look' around the cockpit of an aircraft, so couldn't that just be tied to the input of the Track-IR system?

Because I seriously doubt they're going to build in support for it purposefully.
Old 2012-06-14, 02:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #169
HoovesMcG
Corporal

Originally Posted by Conq View Post
I feel the same, as long as it doesn't provide too much of an advantage I don't care.

I have to say though, I don't know who spends thousands on this stuff, I felt retarded just spending a hundred bucks on a gaming mouse and keyboard. You flight simmers should spend that money on training for a pilot's license and rent a Cessna on the weekends.

Funny you should say that becasue after I got my track IR, I was so immersed with flight that I did just that! I got my Privates Pilot license and ENjoy recreational flying when I can afford it.

But being as I know your post was meant as an insult, Ill tell you this. One hour of flying a real cessna is 2x more expensive than buying a TrackIR 5 and the Track clip pro that will last YEARS. I will also say real flying 5x more fun than flying a sim. But I am not rich, I am barely middle class. What I am is a fan of immersive technologies and even more so a fan of companies that forward the technology of immersion.

The fact that TRACKIR is but ONE of many head tracking solutions, many of them FREE, should be a huge hint that the want is out there, and given the opportunity many will try and LOVE what it offers.

It doenst offer any advantage as long as mouse look is also in the game. You are simply using a different "Button".

BTW I dont have a gaming mouse or keyboard and don't plan on buying one. SO i do not think that SOE should support gaming mice or keyboards. Its just unfair............... Now just imagine if that was the case.
Old 2012-06-14, 02:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #170
HoovesMcG
Corporal

Originally Posted by RedKnights View Post
I don't think it will need built in support, we have seen that there is a way to 'free look' around the cockpit of an aircraft, so couldn't that just be tied to the input of the Track-IR system?

Because I seriously doubt they're going to build in support for it purposefully.
what worries me is that BF3 has "mouselook" as well but it requires you to hold a button to do it. IT needs to be completely seperate from the Mouse to be truly independent head tracking. SO it all depends on just how they activate their Free look.

Alot of people dont understand just how easy it is to implement. All they do is contact Natural Point. Ask to use the software. NAtural Point gives it to them as long as they sign a waiver of release (they agree to not release the SDK to the public) and then Natural Point literally gives them the code to put in the game.

Its no shit about 5 lines of code. thats it. and if they have freelook already in the game its even easier.

If you dont believe me contact Seth at Natural Point, he will confirm what I just told you. IT would literally take one guy 1 hour to implement.

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
so flightstick support should be disabled as well in ps2?

it gives an advantage to those who buy flightsticks. oh and disable extra mousebuttonuse please!
otherwise people with more than 3 buttons get an advantage over people who use a oem mouse that came with the system...

and don´t forget to cap the resolution, so everyone has the same quality on the screen! and switch the lag of every player to the highest lag possible, so people with cheap internetconnection don´t suffer from disadvantages...

edit:damn, halfman beat me ;-)

SO basically release it on consoles LOL
Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
I can't remember where..but recently a dev did state support for head tracking. I think it might have been Higby in one of the cockpit threads.

Edit: Found it. The post was by higby here in this thread

Wow holy crap, so it does look like Higgles wants it in!!! but seriously a confirmation would be awesome

Last edited by HoovesMcG; 2012-06-14 at 02:42 AM.
Old 2012-07-20, 03:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #171
HoovesMcG
Corporal

SO GREAT NEWS!!!! SOE now has the SDK from Natural Point!! So it looks like its going to get implemented in some sort. Good Job SOE!! This a great move on your part!!
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-20, 03:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #172
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by HoovesMcG View Post
SO GREAT NEWS!!!! SOE now has the SDK from Natural Point!! So it looks like its going to get implemented in some sort. Good Job SOE!! This a great move on your part!!
Creepy, I had just been looking at this thread and tweeted Higby asking if there were any updates, and then a few minutes later you post this.

I'm excited about this, but what is your source?
Old 2012-07-20, 04:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #173
Coreldan
Colonel

Guess I better stash another 150€ to the side for a TrackIR then...

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-07-20 at 04:10 AM.
Old 2012-07-20, 05:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #174
Ivam Akorahil
Sergeant

ive seen in a vid at some point that that you have a free view in the cockpit of aircrafts, so if thats possible i think track IR can be configured to do at least rudimentary tasks like that, even fi its not for infantry or anything else, but its very useful for flyovers etc
Old 2012-07-20, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #175
Nemises
Sergeant

it's just another input device...
since SOE already have cockpit viewing in game, they just have to allow a device axis to control it (which surely it already must)...then Natural Point have to add PS2 into their list of supported games (so that it detects and loads a profile automatically) and hey presto..

there is allways a trackir on my headset, so I'll for sure be happy to be able to use for cockpit view..

..not interested in an infantry separate head rotate though (ala arma)...guess I'm too used to mouse/keyboard for that..

*edit* the "free view" in the cockpit implies the cockpit is a full 3d object (with depth etc) and not just a flat plane with a crafty texture projected on it..

Some games support trak-ir but don't have 3d cockpits, in which case the supported Axis are just the rotational axis (x and y)

..if however there is a full 3d cockpit, then it could support full 6 degrees of freedom (rotate down/up, rotate left/right, rotate left/right, track left right, track up/down, track in/out)..

..a full 3d cockpit is a large increase in art resource though (if you look at the DCS series for example), as the artists need to build the 3d cockpit objec(s), unwrap and texture them..as opposed to just projecting a cool animated txture onto a single poly..

NFI if sony have built full 3d / 6dof capable cockpits or not, but even just 2 dof will still be good...

Last edited by Nemises; 2012-07-20 at 07:26 AM.
Old 2012-07-20, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #176
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

There is no ability to move the head seperate from the body in Planetside 2. It would be cool to have that + 3 monitors but it's not necessary at all.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #177
HoovesMcG
Corporal

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Creepy, I had just been looking at this thread and tweeted Higby asking if there were any updates, and then a few minutes later you post this.

I'm excited about this, but what is your source?

Ah sorry it took so long to get back to you but here is the source!

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/...2224#Post52224

DUDE read what Seth from Natural Point says about SOE. Man I love these guys!!
Old 2012-07-20, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #178
Braveliltoaster
Staff Sergeant

sounds like buying this might give me neck problems
Old 2012-07-20, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #179
UnDeAdKiTtY
Corporal

I wouldn't care if they added this after release, but don't waste time before and during beta. This is such a nitche thing don't count on it. Personally I think its a waste of time but if you want it petition for it, but I ask the devs to wait till after release.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #180
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

It's really not that hard for them to add from what I've read. Either way, I think it is def something they should add by the time the game is ready for final release.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion