How PhysX runs on Nvidia and AMD (ATI) systems - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We must remember Devs are people too!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-17, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
JawsOfLife
Sergeant

Re: How PhysX runs on Nvidia and AMD (ATI) systems

Originally Posted by julfo View Post
No one trolls the Goku!

OT: I really hope it isn't GPU-Accelerated. That would seriously suck for a large percentage of the userbase, me included.
Well, as linked, it's going to be, so we'll just have to accept it. I have an nVidia card, but it's a gtx 460 SE, meaning that the game will already not run great, so even though Physx is optimized for nVidia cards I doubt I will even turn mine on because it will just destroy my framerates. Of course this is all speculative until we get actual performance benchmarks/official minimum/recommended system requirements are published.
Old 2012-08-17, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
julfo
Sergeant

That's the thing - if the GPU-accelerated PhysX bits are optional, then fine. AMD users can turn them off. If not, and I have a bad feeling they might be compulsory, then it just feels like a bit of a misstep on the Dev team's part (not that I would presume to know better than them, but it just doesn't make sense to alienate some of your users in such a way, especially when there are equally as good physics engines that DON'T require nVidia GPUs).
Old 2012-08-17, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

GPU PhysX is always able to be turned off, so I won't worry about potential performance issues from forcing it to the CPU.
Old 2012-08-17, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
julfo
Sergeant

Excellent, thanks for the info. PhysX is not something I am overly familiar with. Glad to know someone here is
Old 2012-08-17, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SwiftRanger View Post
Odd, as SOE said otherwise multiple times during the video panels. They also said we could turn off PhysX completely though (compatibility with older rigs) so I don't think it's that important to PS2 as SOE/nVidia want to make us believe. Thx for the info though.

If it's really as "bad" as you say then this is major step backwards for the PC platform. These manufacturer-exclusive features can be neat but only if they're seen as an extra.
You see the new Borderlands 2 vid?

Yah... you ain't gettin the full game unless you have nVidia... (the graphical difference is astounding)

so... yah, not buying.

I might upgrade in 18mo or w/e and they'll have a GotY on sale w/ all DLC by then :P

Originally Posted by CasualCat View Post
Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Didn't think anyone was going to dig this back up. We still haven't heard much on GPU based PhysX, so I edited that portion out.
I found it from the link in your signature.
This made me laugh

Originally Posted by JawsOfLife View Post
Indeed. Doesn't get much clearer than that. Those with powerful Nvidia GPUs will have advanced physics performance and better visuals than those with AMD cards, it's that simple.
Actually, the "Enhanced physics" will likely put more particles on your screen ( a LOT more and yes, it WILL look awesome) which actually hinders your view more than someone with less or even physX disabled.

THAT'S the funniest part

Still, I'd rather have all dem particles

I'll live. (literally )

Seriously tho, I'm gonna need to upgrade :\

Last edited by RoninOni; 2012-08-17 at 08:54 PM.
Old 2012-08-17, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

How many times does this have to be stated?

YOU GAIN NO ADVANTAGES FROM OWNING AN NVIDIA GPU IN PLANETSIDE 2 WITH THIS PARTICULAR IMPLEMENTATION OF PHYSX.

IT IS CPU SPECIFIC AND NOT RELATED TO THE ENTIRELY SEPERATE BUT SIMILARLY NAMED GPU PHYSX FEATURE NVIDIA SUPPORTS IN A TINY NUMBER OF GAMES.

It has been falsely stated on some pages (geforce related) and speculated upon many times.

It is precisely this confusion that Nvidia hoped to generate.

Last edited by MaxDamage; 2012-08-17 at 09:29 PM.
Old 2012-08-17, 10:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post

YOU GAIN NO ADVANTAGES FROM OWNING AN NVIDIA GPU IN PLANETSIDE 2 WITH THIS PARTICULAR IMPLEMENTATION OF PHYSX.

IT IS CPU SPECIFIC AND NOT RELATED TO THE ENTIRELY SEPERATE BUT SIMILARLY NAMED GPU PHYSX FEATURE NVIDIA SUPPORTS IN A TINY NUMBER OF GAMES.

It has been falsely stated on some pages (geforce related) and speculated upon many times.

Chill?
Old 2012-08-17, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
JawsOfLife
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post

So you're telling me that Nvidia "falsely" indicated that the Physx would be graphics-side, after it clearly says on their website, and I quote:

"The long-awaited, free-to-play massively multiplayer online first-person shooter, Planetside 2, is nearly here and sports advanced graphics, GPU-accelerated PhysX effects, and NVIDIA 3D Vision support to draw players into the action like never before."?

How do you know that they are wrong? And why would they purposely post false info?
Old 2012-08-17, 11:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
Toppopia
Major

As long as this runs on my Nvidea GeForce GT 230M card, then we can all stop arguing

Oh wait, i missed the point of the argument, oh well. I hope the programmers for Planetside 2 make this game as compatible as possible on low end systems. I wouldn't mind a low draw distance of maybe 500 metres, is anyone gonna be shooting me at that range? Probably, will they hit me? Definitely not.

Last edited by Toppopia; 2012-08-17 at 11:30 PM.
Old 2012-08-18, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #100
JawsOfLife
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
As long as this runs on my Nvidea GeForce GT 230M card, then we can all stop arguing

Oh wait, i missed the point of the argument, oh well. I hope the programmers for Planetside 2 make this game as compatible as possible on low end systems. I wouldn't mind a low draw distance of maybe 500 metres, is anyone gonna be shooting me at that range? Probably, will they hit me? Definitely not.
I personally don't have much of a problem nerfing lower end systems for increased performance--the problem comes in when increasing performance boosts gameplay, as has been speculated by Hamma. Like if you can turn indirect shadows and grass off, that will let you see soldiers in cover that people with eye-candy turned on can't see, which is unfair.
Old 2012-08-18, 12:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #101
Toppopia
Major

I personally don't have much of a problem nerfing lower end systems for increased performance--the problem comes in when increasing performance boosts gameplay, as has been speculated by Hamma. Like if you can turn indirect shadows and grass off, that will let you see soldiers in cover that people with eye-candy turned on can't see, which is unfair.
What what i have seen, grass is barely ankle height, and i wouldn't want bushes removed, or remove bushes but make people behind them invisible (joking about that last part)
Old 2012-08-18, 02:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #102
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Tis the price of a more awesome experience

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
What what i have seen, grass is barely ankle height, and i wouldn't want bushes removed, or remove bushes but make people behind them invisible (joking about that last part)
Less that, that was just an example of graphics tuning giving advantage to lower spec.

However in the case of physX it will likely be fancier explosions, more detailed smoke, etc.

You can still run it on the CPU for PS2... THAT'S the compatibility they're talking about... however I have little doubt the higher end nVidia systems will be able to get more out of PhysX than Radeon in the end. However with a good enough CPU, the Radeon will likely be plenty good enough, just missing a few lil pieces here and there.

Their engine is supposedly remarkably modular and gradable... they have rendering systems built in already that can't even be ran yet. The tech for seamless continents is already partially there.

If they're built to leverage PhysX, there's no reason a properly dedicated GPU wouldn't do a better job. Pretty simple.

Last edited by RoninOni; 2012-08-18 at 02:22 AM.
Old 2012-08-18, 05:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #103
Sunrock
Major

I think this video show it best how a game is experienced with PhysX on Vs PhysX off.

But you can run PhysX on a ATI card too with some work... http://www.overclock.net/t/591872/ho...with-ati-cards
Old 2012-08-18, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #104
AceofSpadesX
Private

To JawsofLife, Sunrock, and Master:
I made a thread about this if you want to discuss what Nvidia's website says further.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=47116
I would have quoted you three but I couldn't figure out how to multiquote.
Old 2012-08-18, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #105
Masterr
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by AceofSpadesX View Post
To JawsofLife, Sunrock, and Master:
I made a thread about this if you want to discuss what Nvidia's website says further.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=47116
I would have quoted you three but I couldn't figure out how to multiquote.
to multi-quote its the middle quote button, it has a + sign next to it.

also i hope SOE or someone else does a side by side video comparison is a Nvidia and AMD GPU.

So far this borderlands 2 comparison i think would be the difference between amd and nvidia but no liquid effects. Maybe amazing water effects will have with Nvidia GPU when they get the water in the game.

Last edited by Masterr; 2012-08-18 at 11:04 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion