PSU: \#FF0000 RED!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2003-01-28, 05:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Revolution
First Lieutenant

The best NFL player EVER and why

Since the season is over (SUCKS) who is the best NFL player and why?

Its over so lets go back into the past.

P.S. If anyone have a NFL management game like Welb.com let me know.
Old 2003-01-28, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
KoldFusion

Desmond Howard! or Heath Shuler! J/K IN all seriousness there has been so many... It will take me a while to ponder this one.
Old 2003-01-28, 07:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Denali
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Hate to say it, but Michael Vick. McNabb has halfway revolutionized (sorry for the pun) the game, Vick is going to take it to the next level. My 2nd place vote? Brian Urlacher. He hits like a mack truck and can run down running backs and receivers from behind. Show me someone else that tackles that well with that kind of speed and I'll give you a cookie. And don't say Ray Lewis.
Old 2003-01-28, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dead Ben
Private

how can you say Urlacher and Vick...while they may become the best ever they've got a long way to go. Right now if their careers ended they wouldn't even be up for the hall of fame.

Best Ever = Deacon Jones.
Old 2003-01-28, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Squeeky
Contributor
Teh Masturbator

Randy johnson, Hes such a l33t pitcher, and he throws da ball like 192849`90 miles u hour.
Old 2003-01-28, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Hmmmm... Barry Sanders? Marvin Harrison? Lawrence Taylor? Dan Marino? Johnny U, either one of the Joes. How are we supposed to pick a best of all time when there are so many different things to be the best at?
Old 2003-01-28, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sputty
Banned

Flutie because he used to play for the Argos(CFL team I sort of liked) and he had "Flutie Flakes" for awhile. Those just were funny.
Old 2003-01-28, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
KoldFusion

Originally posted by The_Denali
Hate to say it, but Michael Vick. McNabb has halfway revolutionized (sorry for the pun) the game, Vick is going to take it to the next level. My 2nd place vote? Brian Urlacher. He hits like a mack truck and can run down running backs and receivers from behind. Show me someone else that tackles that well with that kind of speed and I'll give you a cookie. And don't say Ray Lewis.
Lavar Arrington = Faster than Urlacher

One of the best players of all time will have to be Darrel Green... What about the Posse (Art Monk, Rickey Sanders, Gary Clark)? Or the Hogs?
Old 2003-01-28, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by WRH_KoldFusion
Desmond Howard! or Heath Shuler! J/K IN all seriousness there has been so many... It will take me a while to ponder this one.
Gotta love those ******** first overall draft choices.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-01-28, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by The_Denali

Ray Lewis owns Urlacher (and Urlacher knows it).
Where was the chiocago defense this year anyways ?
McNabb didn't revolutionize anything. Don't you remeber a guy by the name of Randall Cunningham?

I would have to say John Elway, Walter Payton, or Barry Sanders.

Old 2003-01-28, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

If their fan's dont burn down the stadium first

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-01-28, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Denali
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

The Chicago defense was on the IR this year Arrington is quicker than Urlacher, but doesn't have the flat out speed. Cunningham was good, don't get me wrong, but was never the threat that Vick is or will be. A lot of times Vick is the fastest player on the field. Period. Cunningham was never the passer Vick is early in his career, he had the arm strength and accuracy, but couldn't read a defense if they sent him the play directly. Cunningham was an outstanding passer the year the Vikings went to the NFC championship game, and if he was playing at that level his whole career could possibly be the best ever, but at that point in time the running threat was gone. Deacon Jones was a beast, no doubt about it, tough as nails mean as a son-of-a-gun. But the game just did not have the speed back then that it does now. You take a simeon rice or a (healthy) javon kearse back then they have 12 sacks a game. Ray Lewis is arguably the hardest hitter in the NFL. He stuffs the run like he was joined at the hip with the halfback. For a mike-backer he is an above-average pass defender. Now if you asked Mr. Lewis to move outside, could he do it? Maybe. If you asked him to play Safety or Tight End, could he do it? Unlikely. Can Urlacher? Easily, he was a safety in college and still has the skills to play the position today, and he does play tight end occasionally. You give Urlacher the experience Lewis has plus the versatility and natural talent this kid has and watch out. LaVar is a physical specimen, no doubt. But he lacks leadership ability, he doesn't inspire a defense the way a Ray Lewis, Zach Thomas or Mike Singletary does. He doesn't have the personality or versatility to be one of the elite. Great? Absolutely. Elite? Not in my opinion. BUT....this is all just my opinion, I could be wrong

BTW, with a re-signed Rosie Colvin and a healthy team, the Bears Defense is better than it was 2 years ago....

den
Old 2003-01-28, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

I wasn't comparing Vick to Cunningham, I was just saying that there were mobile quarterbacks before McNabb.

As far as Arrington, I think he has more potential than Urlacher however he seems to be having trouble learning defensive schemes (lucky him, he gets to try and learn another one for next season).

As far as versatility I think Ray lewis could play tight end. He is big, strong, intelligent, hard working, and has good hands. Now is he ever going to be called upon to play tight end with the Ravens? No, they have had good tight ends in the past (Sharpe) and they have a good tight end now (heap). I think Lewis could pass himself off as a strong safety (not the best in the league) but why do that when they can play him at MLB. I don't see why he couldn't play OLB with his speed. Like you mentioned he is a team leader and is big on helping the younger players.

With Vick, we shall see. We saw a number of teams that were able to contain him. It didn't help that he didn't have much reciever or runningback talent around him though. I say it is too early to judge. He might find that he can't break runs later in his career the same way he does now (he might get injured or just slow down with age). But we shall see.

I am suprised that no one even came close to mentioning Montana, Young, or Faulk.

BTW I love football and am greatly saddened that I have to wait another 8 months or so till the season starts up again. I already miss it.

Old 2003-01-28, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

I did mention Montana, he's the second of the two Joes. However, he rode a dynasty in the days when there was no such animal as parity, which really brings me to my answer of who I think is the best footballer of all time: Jerry Rice.
Old 2003-01-28, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Denali
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

No one can argue the ageless wonder Yep, I miss football already
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge