PCGamer : Planetside 2 Maps will have "50:50 or 60:40"Indoor:Outdoor combat breakdown - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the Vanu Burger
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-12, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

PCGamer : Planetside 2 Maps will have "50:50 or 60:40"Indoor:Outdoor combat breakdown

Discuss

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/12/pl...-environments/
Old 2011-07-12, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zulthus
Colonel

Re: PCGamer : Planetside 2 Maps will have "50:50 or 60:40"Indoor:Outdoor combat break

Sounds pretty good. I'd personally prefer 60:40 in favor of outdoors for vehicle battles, but that's just me.
Old 2011-07-12, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rarntogo
Corporal

Re: PCGamer : Planetside 2 Maps will have "50:50 or 60:40"Indoor:Outdoor combat break

PS has imo always had great diversity and it's good to know that isnt going to go away. I like vehicle battles as well as infantry battles. If your having a bad day 1 on 1... get in a tank or plane and change your odds and visa versa. Urban battlefields sounds interesting but will have to see how it all comes together. Sounds like fun.
Old 2011-07-12, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

What Higby’s really excited about are the game’s urban areas, where “you can have the main roads that all the vehicles are playing on and then you have all the side alleys and sort of little cutaways where you go around a corner and suddenly you’re face to face with another player and its kill or be killed. Its quick little moments that happen. Maybe you go around the corner and you’re staring down the barrel of a tank. That’s really cool. That’s really fun.
That sounds good.
I like outdoors situations where infantry are the main combatants because of restrictive terrain.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-12, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

This is how I see it. around 60 for outdoor and 40 for indoor.
BUT
feet will be needed in the ground for objectives.

so more room for vehicle fights. but they need to work WITH the troops to capture outdoor places.

otherwise outdoor+quick getting back into the fight would=non-stop disposable vehicle spam.
Old 2011-07-12, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Valdae
Sergeant

I'd definitely prefer outdoor. One reason I liked PS was due to the scope of the battlefield, and indoor fighting would lose that. In fact, even the suggestion of them saying 60/40 in favor of indoor is starting to make me think that the combat system will be more CoD/BF-like.
Old 2011-07-12, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

more outdoor fights than indoor, thanks.
Old 2011-07-12, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Vancha
Colonel

Oh okay. I was getting the impression it was going to end up more like 80:20 outdoor to indoor.

I think I'd rather see 70:30 or 60:40 outdoor to indoor, so long as there was ample amount of scaffolds, bridges, bunkers and other "outdoor buildings".

Edit: Of course, depending how good the indoor battles are, we might prefer to spend as much time in there as possible (assuming the bottlenecked ridiculousness of PS1 bases are a thing of the past).

Last edited by Vancha; 2011-07-12 at 10:32 PM.
Old 2011-07-12, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Oh okay. I was getting the impression it was going to end up more like 80:20 outdoor to indoor.

I think I'd rather see 70:30 or 60:40 outdoor to indoor, so long as there was ample amount of scaffolds, bridges, bunkers and other "outdoor buildings".
IMO, get rid of interiors. lets just duke it out straight up outdoors.
Old 2011-07-12, 10:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Bags
Lieutenant General

@point: yeah fuck players who enjoy indoor combat!

Not sure how to feel about 50:50. Is it like 70:30 outdoor indoor now?

At least 50:50 is even.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-12 at 10:39 PM.
Old 2011-07-12, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Valdae
Sergeant

We were given caves in PS 1. And it sucked.
Old 2011-07-12, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Valdae View Post
We were given caves in PS 1. And it sucked.
Because the map didn't make sense :P I remember before I actually started memorizing them I got lost. Hopefully we're given detailed urban maps and such.

I wonder if the urban areas have sewers. That would be cool to pop up randomly and navigate areas undetected especially as a cloaker. I'd like to see catwalks and such for some nice vertical gameplay.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-07-12 at 10:53 PM.
Old 2011-07-12, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
dsi
Staff Sergeant

I believe he is talking about Infantry here btw, not everything in general. (Aircraft obviously can't go indoors)
Old 2011-07-12, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
duck
Sergeant

More outdoor battles please.
I don't want PS2 to be like Call of Duty where players are fighting in claustrophobic maps.
Old 2011-07-12, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sifer2
Major

I'm all for Urban combat an having more indoor environments to fight in than the first game. But half an half or even more indoor than outdoor?! That sounds really dumb to be honest. Indoor combat on this scale is kind of going to turn into a cluster****. It's better to focus on outdoor so people have space to move around IMO. On the brightside I guess squad spawn wont be overpowered if half the time you wont be able to use it lol.

Honestly between this an the real restrictive looking size of the battleground shown in the trailer i'm getting a tad worried. That it may be scaled down for the sake of a possible console port.

I would prefer 50% Outdoor, 30% Urban, 20% Indoor.

Last edited by Sifer2; 2011-07-12 at 11:51 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion