Lots of complaints on replayability on station forums - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I can't think of a quote right now. Ask me later.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-15, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Venoxile
Second Lieutenant

Lots of complaints on replayability on station forums

You guys can post your ideas on how to make planetside more goal oriented and have more replay value.

I have a whole shit load, but it's 2:00 am right now, so i'll post 1. Some beta testers have been complaining about how the only tactic that seems to work well constantly is the zergling rush. Dying doesn't matter because you instantly respawn so everyone just rushes at eachother.
I thought a good idea would be to give players dignity, below their names on your screen show their kills/deaths or if they're a medic or an engineer some other sort of bragging rights statistic. Nothing that would take up too much bandwidth, an example below someones name: 100-50, plain and simple.
Probably would lag it to hell, but adding statistics gives players dignity, so they will actually try some strategies that won't get them killed over and over again...
Old 2003-04-15, 02:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
alphabet
Private

I have a little better idea..

Show your outfit below your name and make it possible to publicly declare war on other outfits. Make it to where you can declare war on even an outfit in your own faction, so that GP arent accrued. This will add some RP to the game and make politics an aspect as well.

Hell if we can ally why cant we declare war?

Jus my $0.02 worth,
alph
Old 2003-04-15, 03:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
TheAngelOfWar
Sergeant

inner empire war = griefer wet dream.

perhaps slight loss of BEP per death? nothing detrimental, but maybe 20-50 loss per death will make the real rushers think for a bit when they cant get over BR3, and thats just from VR training...
Old 2003-04-15, 04:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
simba
Major

Originally posted by TheAngelOfWar
inner empire war = griefer wet dream.

perhaps slight loss of BEP per death? nothing detrimental, but maybe 20-50 loss per death will make the real rushers think for a bit when they cant get over BR3, and thats just from VR training...
BEUTIFULL IDEA! that will make it better, how much beps does every kill do? I would like a 1/5 of how many beps u get 4 killing u loose when u die.

GG
Old 2003-04-15, 04:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
nhedge
Private

it's an obvious solution.
Old 2003-04-15, 06:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Tieom
Master Sergeant

The only way to really, REALLY prevent zergling rushes is to make people care their amount of deaths. I played tribes 2 really suicidally, then I got a stats-tracker and didn't feel like dying pointlessly since it would be logged, permenantly. So I tried my utmost to use health wisely, and run back to equipment stations instead of suiciding/getting killed on purpose to get there faster. This made the game feel a lot nicer to me, for some reason...
In other words - FEAR OF DEATH. Even a slight fear will work wonders.
Old 2003-04-15, 06:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Prowler
PSU Realdoll

very obvious.
Old 2003-04-15, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kilgs
Contributor
Corporal

PS tracks an absurd amount of stats for you.
Old 2003-04-15, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
FalseMyrmidon
Private

zool, or zoolooman had a big long web site on how to make it not suck (have a point)
Old 2003-04-15, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Marius
Contributor
Private

Also you could add a 2 minute delay to spawn or seomthing along those lines. Maybe more. That way when you attack you cant blindly rush the base and keep sending in wave after wave. It would allow for some strategy about using troops wisely.
Old 2003-04-15, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
FalseMyrmidon
Private

http://users2.ev1.net/~jasonsharp/index.html
found it
excellent page on how to balance ps to make it non crappy
Old 2003-04-15, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

I was reading his ideas on the beta forums and I have to admit I like the hard lock idea, not sure about the whole matrixing thing though.

As it stands right now, once you achieve lock it is harder to keep it from getting broken by a handful of enemy soldiers that dropped in and got an AMS and run around phantom capping all the bases on the continent then it is to just straight up fight another army for control.

You end up playing an endless game of wack-a-mole. Cap all bases.. oh wait, VS are hacking facility A.. go to facility A and recap. Oh! facility B and C are hacked.. go recap B and C... Grrr facility D is hacked and so is Tower E and facility A again! %@#%@#.
Old 2003-04-15, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
jeb
Private

the matrix idea is really what will take planetside from being a game with a rating of an A to a game that with a rating of A++++

right now it is just small battles with no overall perception of the world. that is because there is no front line that pushs or pulls. you just land on some barren continent and take over bases by yourself.

i know its hard to explain until you play, but each and everyone will see the problem when they play.

do not get me wrong though, the game absolutely rocks. i was an avid almost rabid fanboi before i got into beta last friday. now i feel like the polish is off the car, the fog has lifted. i still like what i see, i just wish it was slightly different.
Old 2003-04-15, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Seabass03
Corporal

Agreed Jeb. A few things need to be fixed before retail...fast or it will fall somewhat flat.
Old 2003-04-15, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Deveral
Private

I like Zoolman's idea on Hardlocking and the whole matrix thing. I play games to fight people upfront, not running around. I used to play DAoC and when caping keeps in your frontier from the enemy, it seemed to be an endless cat and mouse game for 2+ hours and was pointless, there would be almost no action after the first keep or there would be none till the last keep. I think Zool's idea should be used but thats just me. See all you Terran's and Vanu's out there.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion