The people playing the game are making the game look bad - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Ooops! That was our galaxy?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-05, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
raidyr
Corporal

Re: The people playing the game are making the game look bad

I thought it was hilarious myself.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
ODonnell
Corporal

It's only frustrating to watch because we all want to be playing it right now and most have no clue what Planetside actually is. As any PS1 vet knows, you can't explain Planetside, you LIVED it, and without living it, you will never understand.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
GoldDragon
Corporal

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
It's not just a press thing - people just walked in and started playing having never played the game before. Cut them a little slack
NEVER!!!! XD Kill dem all (Cannon fodder ftw). They'll learn quick enough at launch.

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I was actually really surprised by some of the good players I saw.

After GW2 playtests, press beta, etc. I thought everyone would be running into cliffs, trees, away from the base, into enemy staging grounds. Only saw someone not correctly identify friend from foe a few times. Well there was a lot of friendly fire too.

Thought I saw a decent amount of strong gameplay concidering none of these guys had touched the game before.
Agreed - I have to say though there were a lot of people who just had no clue even if they were doing "okay".

Originally Posted by Haro View Post
Yeah, maybe they weren't fantastic planetside players, but most people won't know that. What's more important is that the demo showed off the game pretty well, especially in alpha, and everyone they interviewed seemed to have a lot of fun. The booth got a ton of attention, lots of people played and watched, attention was acquired whore-ishly...

Overall, mission accomplished. And there will be even more tomorrow! I seriously wish I could be there, Beta needs to come soon.
Not many were fantastic PS players, but then again how many Veterans did they have eh? I got a kick out of trying to figure out what shooter everyone else played based on the way they were fighting. CoD players sprinting all over the place and shooting anything that moved, BF players camping out on Ammo Drops, TF2 guys chasing the MAXes with repair guns like the TF medics on heavies. Overall a good exposure for newcomers and a comedy show for the Vets.

All in favor of getting a live stream of PS 1 vets in Beta?
Old 2012-06-05, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
WildEagle
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by ODonnell View Post
It's only frustrating to watch because we all want to be playing it right now and most have no clue what Planetside actually is. As any PS1 vet knows, you can't explain Planetside, you LIVED it, and without living it, you will never understand.
Amen
Old 2012-06-05, 08:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Notser
Staff Sergeant

These people are the best players to play at e3 because it shows flaws that the game has currently. Whether those flaws consist of not enough ui information, controls related to vehicles(scythe was giving them trouble) or just weird accidents that nobody who's played fps games would encounter. I'm hoping SOE is taking down all the frustration some of these newbies are having with the game and going to improve it so it is more obvious what do to and how to control some of these vehicles/classes. First impression is everything, even if the game is free there will be players who will never touch it after their first time playing it. Keep those newbies SOE!
Old 2012-06-05, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
ODonnell
Corporal

Originally Posted by Notser View Post
These people are the best players to play at e3 because it shows flaws that the game has currently. Whether those flaws consist of not enough ui information, controls related to vehicles(scythe was giving them trouble) or just weird accidents that nobody who's played fps games would encounter. I'm hoping SOE is taking down all the frustration some of these newbies are having with the game and going to improve it so it is more obvious what do to and how to control some of these vehicles/classes. First impression is everything, even if the game is free there will be players who will never touch it after their first time playing it. Keep those newbies SOE!
I'm going to agree to disagree with you on the controls. If you want a new player to get hooked and learn how to fly a scythe, a vanguard or your mothers sedan, you make the experience so freaking cool looking that they WANT to master the controls. By dumbing them down you make certain maneuvers and precision not possible and by that you eliminate the separation of a good vs bad players. I worked in a gaming/lan center for years. I never saw a player turn away from a game because the controls were difficult. I saw them turn away because it wasn't their genre, or it simply was a bad game. Show a prospective player a GUNSHIP raining lead down on the battlefield and he'll salivate at the chance to do the same.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hyiero
Private

I got a 8 kill streak on some VS and NC scum today,they were bad. But my faith is in the right place with planetside 2 it played amazing for the demo and it really brought back the old days
Old 2012-06-05, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
cBselfmonkey
Sergeant

Noob people playing the game less then ideally is nothing new at this point. It happens like literally every game, especially the multiplayer ones. And chances are if a person was watching an E3 stream, or TBs stream, they knew that going in.

Most other people are just going to know and judge PS2 from the actual trailers. For better or worse.

Last edited by cBselfmonkey; 2012-06-05 at 08:58 PM.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Notser
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ODonnell View Post
I'm going to agree to disagree with you on the controls. If you want a new player to get hooked and learn how to fly a scythe, a vanguard or your mothers sedan, you make the experience so freaking cool looking that they WANT to master the controls. By dumbing them down you make certain maneuvers and precision not possible and by that you eliminate the separation of a good vs bad players. I worked in a gaming/lan center for years. I never saw a player turn away from a game because the controls were difficult. I saw them turn away because it wasn't their genre, or it simply was a bad game. Show a prospective player a GUNSHIP raining lead down on the battlefield and he'll salivate at the chance to do the same.

Just my 2 cents.
Never said you change the controls, you provide information to help guide players toward the correct way to fly. For example, scythe really should've had some sort of special little bit of info either by the attending employees or in the ui that it flies like a ufo or whatever. I would assume VS will need more explaining just in general since a lot of their tools are quite different.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-05, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

When I'm not playing with my custom mouse and controls I'm quite terrible at any game. It goes extra for conventions because inevitably every game is set up WASD and I'm an EDSF guy, AND I play with inverted Y-axis. So default controls for me are no bueno.

Also you have to consider people playing the game at E3 are just taking it in, looking around, enjoying all the hard work the map designers and art team created. I imagine I'll spend quite a lot of time in-game just looking around at things too.

Then you have the flying learning curve and all that, so yeah people are going to be pretty terrible at first, especially before they have a chance to customize controls.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Hyiero
Private

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
How would you say performance was with many people around? The stream was laggy itself and probably only 30 FPS at best, so it's hard to judge from that.
The performance actually was really good, I didn't feel much lag at all during my play time. Didn't have popins or lag spikes at all. Also the reason most people were crashing planes is cause the mouse was auto set to inverted and I know that isn't easy for alot of people
Old 2012-06-05, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Hyiero
Private

One more question: How were the flight controls with the mouse?

MouseX = yaw, MouseY = pitch?

This is really important to me...
Yep and spacebar is the vertical thrust, which is definitely a little bit hard to get used too
Old 2012-06-05, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Hyiero
Private

One thing I really liked is infiltrators can't snipe while cloaked which was nice knowing I can Osok someone also lock on missiles don't lock on to maxs but u can free fire them but im sure customizations can change things like that
Old 2012-06-05, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
FPClark
Staff Sergeant

THANK YOU LORD, THANK YOU.

Sorry that was necessary. For a while I feared that they were forcing yaw to the keyboard, which would have given joystick users the upper hand.
I dont see how?

I us 'a' and 'd' to yaw all my games just like most joysticks default yaw to wrist rotations or pedals (Just like in real aircraft)

I hope I can change MouseX to roll.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Hyiero View Post
One thing I really liked is infiltrators can't snipe while cloaked which was nice knowing I can Osok someone also lock on missiles don't lock on to maxs but u can free fire them but im sure customizations can change things like that
Whoa, seriously? That is DEFINITELY a nice feature then, knowing we won't get cloak sniped.

How was the MAX melee? Hit hard? Knockback?

And some of us have been wondering if the Reaver/Scythe/Mosquito could have guns put in place of the rockets. See any special customization options?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion