Planetside 2 pings for New Zealand players. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What's html?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-07, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Planetside 2 pings for New Zealand players.

First off don't troll this thread.

While I am excited about Planetside 2, I am kind of not looking forward to playing it seeing as I am located in New Zealand. It will be do-able but far from optimal purely because of high ping. ISP's have not improved speed wise since Planetside 1's era. And its even worse if you are in the South Island. As it is, when I play Tribes Ascend on US west coast servers my ping is 240+ and on east coast servers it is around 200. Fuck my country's pre-historic internet. Any idea's if performance will be about the same with cshd or worse?
Old 2012-06-07, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: Planetside 2 pings for New Zealand players.

you should be getting better pings on west coast servers since the lines go via hawai then into San Jose. from there they go through the US backbone to the east coast...i cant understand why your ping is worse to west coast.

The netcode will have to behave like PS1, a hit on your screen should be a hit, id still expect sync issues like people post in BF3, that we dont get in PS1 because of a full CSHD model.

But i think it should be playable. also, from NZ you should be getting like 150 ping to san jose.

SOE as you know has good netcode compared to bads like hi res, id expect whatever ping you get on speed test to be what you get ingame.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-07, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by HitbackTR View Post
ISP's have not improved speed wise since Planetside 1's era . . . Fuck my country's pre-historic internet.
I think your gripe is probably with the laws of physics. I've found two useful call centers when trying to get a support issue addressed -

http://www.vatican.va/
http://www.nsf.gov/

I'm sure there are others, but they won't take my calls.
Old 2012-06-07, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
you should be getting better pings on west coast servers since the lines go via hawai then into San Jose. from there they go through the US backbone to the east coast...i cant understand why your ping is worse to west coast.

The netcode will have to behave like PS1, a hit on your screen should be a hit, id still expect sync issues like people post in BF3, that we dont get in PS1 because of a full CSHD model.

But i think it should be playable. also, from NZ you should be getting like 150 ping to san jose.

SOE as you know has good netcode compared to bads like hi res, id expect whatever ping you get on speed test to be what you get ingame.

How do you know the servers go thru hawaii to San jose?.......Is that where the west servers are going to be at, san jose?

I live 45 minutes away from San Jose so I want a ping advantage
Old 2012-06-07, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Man it has got to suck living around there. I feel for you bro.
Old 2012-06-07, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

The vast majority of Asian traffic ingresses and egresses the states in northern California. San Jose and Santa Clara, in particular, are a literal crisscross of colos. Whether SoE hosts there for PS2 is an open question.
Old 2012-06-07, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
How do you know the servers go thru hawaii to San jose?.......Is that where the west servers are going to be at, san jose?

It is easy to do a traceroute to find out the typical path data will take.
PS2 will hopefully mirror PS1 in CSHD but with the added benefit of higher band width which will reduce the issues like warping. I 2 box and can see the lag between 2 views of the same situation but because of the way CSHD is done and the newer network code it should be less frustrating for most of us. There will still be issues where you thought you where inside when a bomb hit but because of a bit of lag some where an enemy shot you while they still saw you out side but this is just part in parcel and needed so that the "ping advantage" isn't as much of an advantage as it is in most FPSs.
Old 2012-06-07, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post

Cause their aint no other way to go!

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-07, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Ah cheers for that Sky, yeah I may have got my east and west coasts mixed up, well if my ping is going to be sub 200 then it will be a slight improvement, here's hoping...
Old 2012-06-07, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Razicator
First Sergeant

Best you can hope for are dedicated servers in Australia or Asia. Probably Asia, I don't think SOE has any servers in Australia in their other games right? Assassinate the head of a media company in Australia, somehow backstab your way to power, then become the Australian version of ProSieben and host/advertise PS2
Old 2012-06-07, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rainfur
Corporal

I'm EXTREMELY lucky, as I live around 2 hours from their main US west coast server. :P

Even on PS1 I get < 30 pings.
Old 2012-06-07, 11:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Razicator
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rainfur View Post
I'm EXTREMELY lucky, as I live around 2 hours from their main US west coast server. :P

Even on PS1 I get < 30 pings.
Haha you can't ADADAD spam in PS1 like the rest of us!!

/sob
Old 2012-06-07, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Razicator View Post
Best you can hope for are dedicated servers in Australia or Asia. Probably Asia, I don't think SOE has any servers in Australia in their other games right? Assassinate the head of a media company in Australia, somehow backstab your way to power, then become the Australian version of ProSieben and host/advertise PS2
I'll live with my ping and there is no place for dedicated servers in Australia/asia for PS2 in my opinion. The more the merrier.
Old 2012-06-07, 11:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
ChargerCarl
Corporal

I always feel sorry for Aus/NZ gamers.

Who knows, maybe one day they'll get to play with the chinese? Or maybe the Japanese will start liking FPS games? (unlikely)
Old 2012-06-07, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Toppopia
Major

I live in New Zealand too, and its weird how my American friends don't understand that they will always have an advantage over me in games because i have 200-300ms ping, but they say its because i suck or they just don't understand. Good to see not all americans like that. And i hope i get a decentish connection, i did a ping test and got roughly 250ms to east coast. So heres hoping.

Last edited by Toppopia; 2012-06-07 at 11:41 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion