I'm sure many of you already seen this but.. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: YOUR MOTHER WEAR COMBAT BOOTS!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-10, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: I'm sure many of you already seen this but..

Originally Posted by AnamNantom View Post
Here's the thing, it's not a constant thing. I've seen the sky clear up and fought rather sunny battles. I'm questioning if many of you have seen the clear spots.

We want weather effects and we want them to make a distinct impact on gameplay. Right?

When they make thunderstorms a reality, it will be a beautiful thing to see. What about the rare Hurricane or tornado?
Exactly. Make the severe weather severe, but temporal.

I like the cross-peak, perfect visibility battles like Crown vs. Regent Rock, etc. You know what? I also like bumbling around in pea soup, trying to follow the tracers to their source. Variety is the spice of life. Why you'd turn it off is simply baffling to me.

Last edited by maradine; 2012-10-10 at 10:54 AM.
Old 2012-10-10, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Squidrid
Private

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Just...make...sanctuaries....

Get rid of footholds altogether...

All they do is make it easier for AFKers to soak up resources and take up spots that active players could be using to fight.
this
Old 2012-10-10, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
EVILoHOMER
Major

Originally Posted by Maarvy View Post
Carrots on sticks are for twats .
They're what keep people playing because it is content. I've you've unlocked everything and seen everything the game has to offer then you'll become bored that there is nothing exciting left.
Old 2012-10-10, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Maarvy
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
They're what keep people playing because it is content. I've you've unlocked everything and seen everything the game has to offer then you'll become bored that there is nothing exciting left.
If the game has nothing exiting exept unlocking the next scope or vehicle upgrade to keep you playing .... well I'll leave the rest unsaid apart from I stand by my original statement .

Last edited by Maarvy; 2012-10-10 at 12:32 PM.
Old 2012-10-10, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Bzak
Private

I like the fog I havent noticed any performance problems and Im running below minimum specs without noticing any fps drop from it. I get fps drop from large battles thats it. I do wish the weather was dynamic. Fog in the morning but clear skys in the afternoon.
The footholds dont bother me to much but if they change it thats fine. I understand this game is stil in beta and alot is going to change. But some of you need to stop acting like pootang. This is a war game.
Old 2012-10-10, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
bodypopper
Corporal

If the game has nothing exiting exept unlocking the next scope or vehicle upgrade to keep you playing .... well I'll leave the rest unsaid apart from I stand by my original statement .
yeah pretty much,its depth and learning that kept me coming back to planetside rather than mindless levelling for a crappy scope.

it was like the old rubiks cube ad when i was a kid,"simple to pick up,hard to master"
Old 2012-10-10, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
getembees
Private

Regarding average cert-completion times.

The current cert levels seem high for weapon modifications after the Esamir patch. If they continue to stay high, the game will require a training center like in PS1, where all the weapons are unlocked. Otherwise the guessing game is too stressful. Id really prefer to just have a big "sim room" with targets at different ranges, so I can see whether a 7x zoom is effective on X, Y, Z guns. It would also be great to test the nades, not to mention different weapons on vehicles. Wish I knew how the mortar shot before I bought it.

Id also like to ask that if weapon attachments remain expensive, that a sight be available for all guns when unlocked.
Old 2012-10-10, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
EVILoHOMER
Major

Just how people are, that's why loot based games are so popular like Diablo or World of Warcraft. If you didn't have that next bit of gear to get constantly then people wouldn't be so addicted to them.

So it wouldn't do any harm to add constant endless progression, I mean EVE Online's training proves this, it keeps people subscribed. If you don't care about it then fair enough, just play the game and ignore it.
Old 2012-10-10, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post

No. No no no no no no no no no no no no. NO.

NO!

Bloody @*$#(*)$***$ hell.

NO!

For crying out loud. Are you in this thread to prove you have absolutely no idea about anything? "Oh hey, I've unlocked all pawns, knights, rooks, towers, the queen, the king and... oh that's all, guess I'll leave the game now because I unlocked all the content without even playing..."

Do you know the first thing about playing a game? Do you know what gaming content is? IT IS THE ENTERTAINMENT VALUE OF THE GAME. If the game's only "content" is new gear, the next gear, the next piece of fake cloth and that's the only redeeming quality a game has, then that game should be burned to the ground. It should not be allowed to survive for 3 seconds. SADLY people like YOU have been indoctrinated into believing that GRIND is what GAMING is about. NO.

NO!

Gaming is about experience, challenge, thought, exploration, tactics, fun, giggling with or pestering friends, being creative, using your imagination, you name it. GEAR? Screw gear!

How the hell do you dare name gear the thing that keeps people playing when you're talking about a sequal of a game that hardly got new content for 10 years!?

HOW ABOUT VARIETY OF CHOICE AND GAME PLAY EXPERIENCE? How about being able to create your own experiences? How about being able to best others, to create rivalries, sense of community and loyalty, pride, etc.

REPLAYABILITY. THAT is what keeps people. Games that rely on tiering and leveling and mob grinding for gear (called "content") are run by developers that lost all sight of the true definition of content. Content is what's there in the game to make the game worthwhile. Because they're only focused on instant gratification because some PowerPoint presentation they once saw said that some players like that, they go and assume and then teach ALL players that the only interesting reason the play the game is to get that next gear. The path to that gear? UNINTERESTING. JUST GET THE DAMN GEAR ALREADY! Let's make another quest that's fundamentally the exact same thing and completely boring and repetitive because nothing ever changes, but now... YOU'LL GET A DIFFERENT PIECE OF GEAR! CONTENT!?!! Right!?

NO!

Do you only play sports because at the end of the match the referee hands you a new ball? A new shoelaser? A new pair of trousers?

NO!

You play because it's FUN. Because each opponent is different and you start from scratch (0-0) every damn match and you have to prove your worth each and every time again! THAT is replayability. THAT is what keeps people playing! NOT some artificial damn addiction trick!

Sure, you can stimulate the collector gene in all human beings for a quick score. The problem is that after each score, it becomes like heroine: you need another quick score or the entire thing falls apart. You create an expectation of ecstacy that no mediocre grind game can provide till eternity. So you artificially raise levels. You start adding remakes of quests in a new jacket for the sake of adding new quests which you know are linear and you know will be the same each time a player goes in, they know what they can expect and the whole quest itself therefore becomes utterly irrelevant. That makes the quest type contest complete and utter garbage that you know you have to keep feeding the player with and raise the bar every time, because they'll expect there to be "something more at some point, somewhere there's a reason you're getting all this gear, right?", but that point never arrives, so you just have to keep adding and adding and adding till players realise you're not leading them anywhere anymore aside from that quick score.

That's the MMORPG model: create addicts. Deprive people of creativity. Make gaming a job... HORRIBLE.

REAL content can be found by stimulating the mind and letting the player be endlessly creative instead. A game like PlanetSide keeps you playing because no matter how often you attack and take a facility, each time is different and unique because not only are your opponents actual humans with a mind of their own, they are in another position each time, each time they're different people, who respond different to you and provide you with different challenges. Many times they bring different gear. Many times you bring different gear. Your allies may differ. The map situation may differ. Or they're enemies you know, but you meet them in a different context and they've learned from their last encounter with you. Each time you win you triumph over enemies. Only after years and years of playing will you have gone through a large portion of the endless variations and even that is no guarantee of success. You're still challenged.

THAT is what keeps people playing games like this.

Not unlocking some damn silencer or scope! FFS.
Old 2012-10-10, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Dagron
Captain

I agree 100% with you Figment, but don't pop a blood vessel man.
Old 2012-10-10, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Figment View Post

NO!

NO!

For crying out loud. Are you in this thread to prove you have absolutely no idea about anything? "Oh hey, I've unlocked all pawns, knights, rooks, towers, the queen, the king and... oh that's all, guess I'll leave the game now because I unlocked all the content without even playing..."

Do you know the first thing about playing a game? Do you know what gaming content is? IT IS THE ENTERTAINMENT VALUE OF THE GAME. If the game's only "content" is new gear, the next gear, the next piece of fake cloth and that's the only redeeming quality a game has, then that game should be burned to the ground. It should not be allowed to survive for 3 seconds. SADLY people like YOU have been indoctrinated into believing that GRIND is what GAMING is about. NO.

NO!

Gaming is about experience, challenge, thought, exploration, tactics, fun, giggling with or pestering friends, being creative, using your imagination, you name it. GEAR? Screw gear!

How the hell do you dare name gear the thing that keeps people playing when you're talking about a sequal of a game that hardly got new content for 10 years!?

HOW ABOUT VARIETY OF CHOICE AND GAME PLAY EXPERIENCE? How about being able to create your own experiences? How about being able to best others, to create rivalries, sense of community and loyalty, pride, etc.

REPLAYABILITY. THAT is what keeps people. Games that rely on tiering and leveling and mob grinding for gear (called "content") are run by developers that lost all sight of the true definition of content. Content is what's there in the game to make the game worthwhile. Because they're only focused on instant gratification because some PowerPoint presentation they once saw said that some players like that, they go and assume and then teach ALL players that the only interesting reason the play the game is to get that next gear. The path to that gear? UNINTERESTING. JUST GET THE DAMN GEAR ALREADY! Let's make another quest that's fundamentally the exact same thing and completely boring and repetitive because nothing ever changes, but now... YOU'LL GET A DIFFERENT PIECE OF GEAR! CONTENT!?!! Right!?

NO!

Do you only play sports because at the end of the match the referee hands you a new ball? A new shoelaser? A new pair of trousers?

NO!

You play because it's FUN. Because each opponent is different and you start from scratch (0-0) every damn match and you have to prove your worth each and every time again! THAT is replayability. THAT is what keeps people playing! NOT some artificial damn addiction trick!

Sure, you can stimulate the collector gene in all human beings for a quick score. The problem is that after each score, it becomes like heroine: you need another quick score or the entire thing falls apart. You create an expectation of ecstacy that no mediocre grind game can provide till eternity. So you artificially raise levels. You start adding remakes of quests in a new jacket for the sake of adding new quests which you know are linear and you know will be the same each time a player goes in, they know what they can expect and the whole quest itself therefore becomes utterly irrelevant. That makes the quest type contest complete and utter garbage that you know you have to keep feeding the player with and raise the bar every time, because they'll expect there to be "something more at some point, somewhere there's a reason you're getting all this gear, right?", but that point never arrives, so you just have to keep adding and adding and adding till players realise you're not leading them anywhere anymore aside from that quick score.

That's the MMORPG model: create addicts. Deprive people of creativity. Make gaming a job... HORRIBLE.

REAL content can be found by stimulating the mind and letting the player be endlessly creative instead. A game like PlanetSide keeps you playing because no matter how often you attack and take a facility, each time is different and unique because not only are your opponents actual humans with a mind of their own, they are in another position each time, each time they're different people, who respond different to you and provide you with different challenges. Many times they bring different gear. Many times you bring different gear. Your allies may differ. The map situation may differ. Or they're enemies you know, but you meet them in a different context and they've learned from their last encounter with you. Each time you win you triumph over enemies. Only after years and years of playing will you have gone through a large portion of the endless variations and even that is no guarantee of success. You're still challenged.

Thank you Figgy ! My mind was starting to boil and run out of control but I'm in a train, on a mobile phone.

If anything, your post should count twice until I can also type a response.

Even if devs decided to throw out the whole levelling part of the game and have everything unlocked from day 1, the game should be challenging, entertaining and engaging by itself.

The reason I came back to PS1 year after year ? Enjoyment and no farming. Yes, PS1 levelling system did not require farming: I was still using a punisher at BR33.

I was having fun with half the cert points we were alllowed to play with. Getting BR, BEP and CEP was a side result of having fun.
Old 2012-10-10, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Hamma
PSU Admin

I think EVILoHOMER has proven he has no idea whats going on, in another thread he's said he can't be "bothered" with the cert system. If he can't be bothered with some of the most important stuff in the game he shouldn't be discussing it.

I don't say that stuff often, but if you make a comment like that then I'm not sure why you still even care where PS2 is going.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-10-10, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Miir
Malvision

In regards to the footholds being remove:
It's good to hear they are considering removing footholds as I'm not a fan.

But I have to ask how will giving each empire one continent be better? If each continent supports 2000 players and you only can spawn on your home continents foothold. Then there will be potential for a lot of players to be stuck in limbo because of population caps. Unless they are planning to give you a means to spawn in and attack anywhere on any continent? But the adjacency rules pretty much prevents this so I really have no idea how this can work.

In regards to the fog:
Way to set your anti-hacking bar high SOE.

In regards to how long it should take to unlock weapons:
You should be given enough certs to specialize a bit in one class as soon as you create a character. Then earn the rest of the certs slowly. A player should be able to pick his favorite gear on day 1 and use that. If you want a reflex site then you got it. If you want a better healing tool you got it. If you want a spawn beacon you got it. Putting any sort of limitation on someones playstyle for a time is just an unnecessary handicap that needs to be removed. I play this game for the global war aspect not for the MMO style grind to unlock my shit. Why penalize me for that.
Old 2012-10-10, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Dagron
Captain

Mmm, i guess it would be nice to have enough certs to get a couple of things from the get go.
Old 2012-10-10, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post

NO!

NO!

NO!

NO!

NO!

Yes, this. Some think RPG and it means what you said about grinding for content. Like this, that I'm sure you all read, about Penny Arcade giving Planetside 2 a snub: http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...e-of-the-innov All this is precisely why I do not like alot of MMORPG's. I want sandbox. Eve is sandbox, and Planetside is sandbox. I like both because it helps me forge what I am in relation to the story and to others. You are MORE the character and less the viewer of a story.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion