Outfit Bases - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home station to the spoon vs. kitten wars
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-02, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Zumthor
Staff Sergeant

Lightbulb Outfit Bases

There is a very interesting thread over on the official planetside forum:
"Garages, apartments, personal houses.. not to much sense, since they do nothing. Outfit bases though..
Most would disagree with it right off yeah but why not throw in perks for the outfit bases. Say by size of the outfit or # of kills or maybe putting in a system where players of an outfit could donate a % of the BEP's they get on the field to getting or "upgrading" their base? Upgrades could be..

- Increased # of turrets/upgraded turret power/tracking.
- Their own respawning machines.
- Increased base size(more on this below..).
- Weapon deployers(whatever ya get weapons/vecs from).
- Anti-hacking tech in base, making it exteremely difficult for a un-certed/basic hacker to mess things up.

And whatever else there may be that we don't know about. As for the base size, of course outfits would have to save the BEP's or get the right # of people to get a basic base, but they could save it and get one better instead. Maybe have it setup so that if they go for the basic base, few turrets, little room(not enough for all the goodies just one or two), they could upgrade to the next level if they save up the difference in "price". Bigger the base, the more possible defense and goodies. The outfit leader would be the only one allowed to do anything to the base or he could allow people of a certain rank in the outfit access to changing up the base as well.

With the BEP donating system in place it would really motivate people to get very organized and take it to their enemies. Also being able to spawn at your base and run into your outfit buddies as they're logging in or respawning is great too, it gives players an easy way to make squads. Also the ones that decide what the base gets and such could set it up so that other players could use the respawning points, players of certain levels, everyone or simply keep it to themselves."
Origianly posted by soilsiu

I think it is a cool idea. How about the rest of you?
Old 2002-12-02, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Jinxmasta
Second Lieutenant

I think that idea kicks @$$!!!

I Qanamil_Rafiki for this sig!
Old 2002-12-02, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
m0rphiu5
NC Superior
Firepower

yeah definitely worth a look into by the devs, i meen houses and such are no more than a posetion for bragging rights, they don't really do much more.

Outfit bases on the other handwould be much more worthwhile... hell u could even have a bedroom for each member in the outfit built into it, that would serve to break up the bases structure abit and make it more of a mazeway for intruders, it would also give the player room to store his/her possetions (stolen wepons and equipment etc)

the idea of being able to span at these bases would be crutial to the squad bases tactics, a squad needs a place to meet.

the idea of upgraging the base is also very good, although i believe it should cost money and BEP donations to build, it might need an outfit to have a certain amount of combined BEP to have access to certain upgrades, but to actually get it would require money donations by the members
Old 2002-12-02, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hamma
PSU Admin

I think its a bad idea, it then becomes outfit v outfit and the bases put into the game from day one become useless, I mean why take out a built in base when you can topple "x" outfit and gain noteriety (if thats a word). Plus it makes it more RPG like, and i hate RPG's

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-02, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SVoyager
Contributor
Corporal

oh i disagree with hamma. i think this game can get some small rpg elements. But outfit buildings aint that much rpg, they are just small bases u can defend and use to prepare an attack. Its not that big of an rpg element, and if u look at what it can do, it can be a nice lill addition to the game's immertion (u wont plan ur attack outside the game on mirc, ull just get in ur small base and then go for it).

As for outfit vs outfit. u shouldnt have any advantage in capping outfit bases vs having bonuses when u cap normal bases, so they wont be useless. And if you dont wanna have yourlsef a base, then dont have one it should be an option not a necessity.

imho squad/outfit bases would be very nice, it adds to the immertion of the game, it lets u plan an attack, it rewards your outfit by having something personal to defend. etc etc. (without being too much of an rpg element, for those who dont like it . altho since this is a persistent universe, usualy u may want to have something persistant in it j/k)
Old 2002-12-02, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
m0rphiu5
NC Superior
Firepower

yeah, id have to dissagree with hamma (sorry) i dont think it would make it too rpg-like, besides some elements of rpg are good, the idea of customising your character over time is good.
Old 2002-12-02, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yes but then what happens to the game, it loses its original point because everyone and their mom is building a base, then you run out of space... etc.

Devs should stay away from things like that, and focus on the gameplay, in the future.. maybe. But now, its a waste. Its the reason they eliminated apartments, its a waste of time in an FPS

If i want to play the sims online, or an rts where i can build my base. I will go do it

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-02, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sytadel
Private

I'm with Hamma. Why? Because essentially it's one step towards making the game an RPG with guns instead of spells.

Firstly, you'd have to hope the outfits are pretty damn big (well over a hundred I'd be thinking), as such to defend against any size attack. I mean, all the enemy needs to do is send a force larger than the outfit to destroy an outfit base (I.e., outfit has 200 members, send a force of 400). With a regular base, however, there's a few hundred thousand potential defenders for the base. I mean honestly, who's going to want to defend the bases of other outfits?

Secondly, the outfit couldn't be a local one. Lets say there's a canadian outfit. They'd all have roughly the same sleeping hours. What happens when 95% of the outfit is sleeping? For one thing, the base becomes a cinch to take. And on that subject, after investing all those BEPs into a base, what happens if it gets taken?

Thirdly, as I've already mentioned, the last thing we want is inter-empire rivalry. All you'd need for this to happen is to have two Outfit's with bases near each other. One is assualted by an enemy, the other might just sit back and defend their own base because they like to see another outfit collapse. It's a rivalry that I think goes against the core reasons that PlanetSide was created.

I think it's an unrefinable idea that goes against the game fundamentals.
Old 2002-12-02, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
SVoyager
Contributor
Corporal

hmm well i think u see it too big now. ur seeing like evryone's gonna go off build their base for 5 hours and then shoot someone for 10 minutes.

nope thats not how i see it would be. it doesnt have to be a 30 story building. it could just be a single building with maybe one or two rooms, with some stuff, real basic. U wouldnt have to be in it 80% of the time to "maintain it", u would just stay in it say 10% of ur time to plan ur attack, the rest is shooting. If u want a new one, well u just go in some special screen that would give you the required stats or something (leader only) and u would buy it and place it, thats pretty much it. stuff like that.

Of course you wont have a pool, pizza machine, guitars, beds and all that stuff. Then i would go play the sims . It should be used to plan tactical scenarios, attacks. You should defenatly not want to live in it....

But dont get me wrong, we dont want to turn it to a rpg game. Altho some rpg elements can be good in this type of game, look at it the positive way .

.02$
Old 2002-12-02, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SVoyager
Contributor
Corporal

sytadel, agree with u on some of these points yep.

Rivality against outfits in a same faction wouldnt be nice, maybe limit the area where they can be placed? or maybe just not make them a base, put these in the main base area and just use it as a planning point for a strike. whadda ya think?

also i dont understand the reluctance of some people towards the word rpg. Some people seem to think that its big bad evil stuff. The outfits building for example. Small stuff, yet people think that rpg is taking over. Can they see the positive side of it also? positive vs negative sides, not just negative sides.

dont get me wrong tho, im not wishing this to be eq or other rpg. Altho i hope it not be a quake online also, but more of an inbetween

.02$

Last edited by SVoyager; 2002-12-02 at 09:47 PM.
Old 2002-12-03, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
sYn pHrEAk
Corporal

I'm with Hamma

That kind of nonsense is silly in something that is supposed to be a fast paced intense shooter.

I'm tired of RPG's.... RPG's and WW2.... BURNT OUT....

besides It would piss me off if I was planning an attack and i plan out the squads route and we head out that way then all of the sudden theres an enemy building smack dab in the middle of our path that wasn't there 5 minutes ago...

Go play SWG or something.

And whats wrong with PS being a massively multiplayer quake? it would be teh BOMB

Last edited by sYn pHrEAk; 2002-12-03 at 10:37 AM.
Old 2002-12-03, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

With Hamma. I HATE the idea of outfits building bases because they are supposed to be valuable and rare, it kind of defeats the purpose if theres one every fifty feet.
Old 2002-12-03, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
SVoyager
Contributor
Corporal

syn and incompetent, agree with yer point on the bases evrywhere thingie. Bases could be limited to big outfits and could be limited on where they be placed (inside soi, near capital town, behind the front lines, etc etc.).

as for the mmoquake thingie, well dunno but to me quake is all very very basic game. Its a map, with weapons, with graphics. thats it. heh. ps has some very nice potential besides being a map with weapons and graphics . and when i spoke about ps being a blend between rpg and fps. here's an example of whats already in game: implants, certifications are both rpg elements that u see in most rpg's yet these are very good addition to the game.

.02$
Old 2002-12-03, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Lazare
Corporal

i think outfits should get a base. Not one to upgrade and stuff. But its great to have a disscussion about an alliance in a room that looks like a i dont know how it is called. You know? Its not about rpg but its fun to rp in certain situations. Remember not all of us will stay simple Soldier losers . there will be some kind of diplomacy. To do diplo things is not fun to do in the middle of nowhere in the forest or something. Unless you are NC.
Old 2002-12-03, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

The problem with this is twofold:

A) It potentially becomes Outfit vs. Outfit (which will probably happen anyway) and be exceedingly boring as two Outfits duke it out. What would happen to the rest of the action?

B) Being able to have a very fortified hack-proof base is a bad idea. Especially if you get to place it wherever you want.

As Hamma said, fighting for the original facilities would lose it's value as well. Why take this default base when we can take the Ravens' MAIN BASE OF OPERATIONS?! We'll show them Ravens whose face is red when we catch them with their pants down! Muwhahahahahaha!

This could be argued by saying that the default facilities provide bonuses (such as an increased SoI, Advanced Medical Terminals, etc.) while these "clan" buildings do not.

Let us not worry though. They won't implement this for the sole reason that it would have to include smore programming (possibly extensive ). That and the fact that they still want this game to come out Q1. Maybe for an expansion though.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion