new tank looks - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Staying on the scene, like a sex machine, since 2003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-10, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
aleksandrgrc
Corporal

terran republic tank

i noticed in the pictures on the home page here. the three MBT's and the terran republic tank had its guns dual side mounted. i cant help but comment the profile for firing right towards the rear and firing left towards the front around walls will be much larger and again smaller for the opposite.

im not against it , just curious to know how the playstyle for the tank will turn out as a result.

Last edited by aleksandrgrc; 2012-04-10 at 12:32 AM. Reason: posted 3 words :)
Old 2012-04-10, 12:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: new tank looks

question mark?

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-04-10, 12:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
aleksandrgrc
Corporal

i was putting words into the title box searching for a thread when i posted , nothing.
Old 2012-04-10, 12:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Atheosim
Captain

what?
Old 2012-04-10, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Erendil
First Lieutenant

He's saying that because the cannons are mounted on the left side of the turret, if you want to fire around the right edge of a piece of cover in front of you (like a wall) you'd have to stick more of the tank out in the open in order to get the barrels around the corner so you can fire. Same thing if you wanted to shoot around the left side of a piece of cover that's behind you.

Most likely this won't affect your gameplay that much since as a MBT driver you'll want to be on the move whenever possible unless your camping doors or sitting back behind the front sniping tanks or acting as artillery A stationary tank is generally a dead tank, and unlike PS1's Lightning, MBT's aren't exactly what I'd call stealthy vehicles, so they're not the best choice for sitting behind cover waiting in ambush to begin with.

The only situation I can see this having much effect is when you're defending some sort of static position from behind cover and you have little room to maneuver. A good example would be guarding a base gate from inside the cy. Then what'll happen is if you're firing around the right side of cover you'll most likely spend more time rolling out, firing a few shots, then rolling back in, instead of staying in one spot right at the edge of the corner firing for longer periods.

Even then, I don't see it changing your tactics that much. PS1's lightning also had a cannon that was offset to the right and it almost never affected my playstyle other than my aiming point in relation to the crosshair. I know the Prowler's chassis is bigger, but I still don't think it'll make much difference.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-04-10 at 01:32 AM.
Old 2012-04-10, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Prowler needs a redesign in general, it looks comically bad.

Also, that magrider sig there is right. Keeping the shitty fixed hull cannon on the magrider doesn't make any sense. Change that too.

Anyway here's the thing so people can understand what the issue with the tank cannons being discussed is:

The cannons are not centralized like with the other two tanks.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-04-10 at 01:55 AM.
Old 2012-04-10, 01:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bonius
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post

Also, that magrider sig there is right. Keeping the shitty fixed hull cannon on the magrider doesn't make any sense. Change that too.
I'd totally want to see the VS faces when they try to control a 360' turret together on a hovering vehicle with only a mouse and keyboard.

Let the DOOM-era begin!

edit; No, making the magrider a vehicle with forced gunner position is not a solution.

Last edited by Bonius; 2012-04-10 at 01:52 AM.
Old 2012-04-10, 01:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
SKYeXile
Major General

GL controlling the magrider with a turret.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-04-10, 02:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
GL controlling the magrider with a turret.
How about holding the shift key while in a magrider lets A and D strafe rather than alter the facing of the hull? Or the opposite? Or make the hull naturally align to the direction the gun is facing but you can hold shift to halt the hull alignment? This isn't a serious issue that competent developers would have any trouble solving. Its main gun is hull mounted for reasons quite apart from the mechanics of hover-movement with a turret.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-04-10 at 02:03 AM.
Old 2012-04-10, 02:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Bonius
Sergeant

How about holding the shift key while in a magrider lets A and D strafe rather than alter the facing of the hull? Or the opposite? Or make the hull naturally align to the direction the gun is facing but you can hold shift to halt the hull alignment? This isn't a serious issue that competent developers would have any trouble solving. Its main gun is hull mounted for reasons quite apart from the mechanics of hover-movement with a turret.
So in essence you want to do the exact same things as a fixed hull-mounted cannon, but instead force the user to hold down the shift key everytime they want to take advantage of the extra mobility of a hovercraft.
Old 2012-04-10, 02:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Is that what I want? I could have sworn I suggested several potential solutions to this non-existent problem in my post.
Old 2012-04-10, 02:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bonius
Sergeant

Is that what I want? I could have sworn I suggested several potential solutions to this non-existent problem in my post.
The magrider (like any 360 hovercraft) can move at the exact same speed in any horizontal axis. They don't have a "reverse" or "drive", they simply thrust themselves in the direction they want to go.

The second you force someone to "lock down" the hull or "automatically align", you're already doing what the hovercraft is capable of in the first place, wich is omni directional movement (atleast that's what i think it's called, movement in the X and Y axis at the same time).

The only solution to give magrider pilots complete omni directional movement along with 360 turrets is to allow secondary input, wich in turn would alienate a whole lot of the playerbase unless all of the VS players have a trackball/joystick/gamepad.

It would also be OP as hell.

Last edited by Bonius; 2012-04-10 at 02:41 AM.
Old 2012-04-10, 04:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
ringring
Contributor
General

Tell you what, lets swap the magtrider configuration for the prower?

(ps the forward gun on the current magrider is not shitty)
Old 2012-04-10, 06:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Knocky
Major

You think THAT Prowler is ugly?

You should have seen the first concept of it.

LOL

Found it!!!!

Last edited by Knocky; 2012-04-10 at 06:01 AM.
Old 2012-04-10, 06:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Redshift
Major

The problem i see with the Prowler is the moment created by firing a weapon bolted on the side would stress the turret or make it turn due to recoil, surely any serious design would put the guns on the top to increase it's accuracy
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion