530$ gaming build for PS2 - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: like hot lesbian action without the hot lesbians!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-11-16, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
camycamera
Major

Re: 530$ gaming build for PS2

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
The "p" cpus lack integrated graphics, which is the main reason for lower TDP. That's fine, because you don't really care about the integrated graphics.
But you do miss out on cool stuff like Quicksync video encoding/decoding.

If you have $5 I'd get this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116506 you also get a bigger Turbo clock (3.5 vs. 3.3)
well, obviously intergrated graphics means better graphics, so i guess i will change the CPU to the one you suggested, thanks.
Old 2012-11-16, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
That I didn't know. Thanks for pointing it out.

I'll one up you on the CPU too . 3550 for $195.
actually that one is $209 so i'll go with the one Rbstr mentioned, it is only 5 bucks more, not $15 or whatever.
Old 2012-11-16, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
actually that one is $209 so i'll go with the one Rbstr mentioned, it is only 5 bucks more, not $15 or whatever.
It has a $15 off bonus code until the 20th. It's effectively $194.99.

well, obviously intergrated graphics means better graphics
It's more like a vestigial organ that suddenly becomes useful if your GPU ever breaks down. I don't think it does anything while your dedicated GPU is installed (except for quicksync).

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-11-16 at 12:58 AM.
Old 2012-11-17, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Maskills
Private

If it was me? No I wouldn't. I've already stated my reason why in this thread.

If you want advice make your own thread so we can do a customized build for you. I don't particularly like having one generalized build for people to use just due to people normally having different needs for a computer...
I didn't say anyone had to use my build. i started this tread to show that i could make a good cheap gaming build. I also said if you could get a i5 at the same price or cheaper that it would be the better build by default. Its just that people don't see that YES the i3 outperforms any phenom ii in SINGLE threaded applications. But in MULTI-THREADED ones like i dont know...Planetside 2, the phenom will do better simply due to having that extra head room.

just my list of "to get":

Intel Core i5-3450-$194.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...448b95589fea80

ASRock B75M-DGS - $54.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...d38bd851b82b1f

Pareema 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 - $31.89
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...fa00b0240f6f11

Corsair CX430 430W PSU - $45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...6ef8ab3292029d

650 TI- $159.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...VGA-_-14130839

total: $481.86

okay, thanks. integrated graphics means better graphics, and for an extra 5 bucks. yay.
Nice to see you have a i5 build that's cheaper than mine. Very good for gaming.
Old 2012-11-17, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Maskills
Private

also watch this..He is running on a Slower cpu, 4 gigs less ram and a slower gpu than the one in this thread. He is getting 75 fps on medium-high settings. That seams very playable to me.
Old 2012-11-17, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
FireWater
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Best of luck streaming and playing with on a 965 alone. I did tried that out with Team Fortress 2, and barely got over 20 FPS.

If you are going to stream with this build, you NEED a capture card.

Engineer for NUC's Alpha Squad http://www.nucgaming.com
Old 2012-11-17, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Maskills
Private

Originally Posted by FireWater View Post
Best of luck streaming and playing with on a 965 alone. I did tried that out with Team Fortress 2, and barely got over 20 FPS.

If you are going to stream with this build, you NEED a capture card.
as i stated before in a previous post, my friend who has this same processor streams in 720p no problem via xsplit. Did you ever calibrate your settings to get better performance?
Old 2012-11-17, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Maskills View Post
also watch this..PlanetSide 2: Touched By An Angel (graphics test) - YouTube
He is running on a Slower cpu, 4 gigs less ram and a slower gpu than the one in this thread. He is getting 75 fps on medium-high settings. That seams very playable to me.
Hes running around with no action going on. That doesn't show how his rig really handles the game...

EDIT: Hes using custom settings at 1024x768 with a low viewing distance. Texture quality is set to 0 and shadows at 2 which is low I think. Thats the only reason it runs like that. If he likes it sure, most won't want to run at such a limited resolution and viewing distance.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-11-17 at 06:13 PM.
Old 2012-11-17, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Maskills
Private

Hes running around with no action going on. That doesn't show how his rig really handles the game...

EDIT: Hes using custom settings at 1024x768 with a low viewing distance. Texture quality is set to 0 and shadows at 2 which is low I think. Thats the only reason it runs like that. If he likes it sure, most won't want to run at such a limited resolution and viewing distance.
True, i didnt see that the textures are on low and thank you for correcting me, but the shadows set to 2= medium settings (highest=4) and render of 700 would be equal to medium because by default it is set to -1 which is infinite render distance. So by leaving those settings alone and bumping up the resolution to 1280x720 he would be getting 60-65 fps instead of the 75 fps. Based on how other people perform, he would most likely be getting around 30 fps in a large scale battle. Not the best but it is still playable.
Old 2012-11-17, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Maskills View Post
True, i didnt see that the textures are on low and thank you for correcting me, but the shadows set to 2= medium settings (highest=4) and render of 700 would be equal to medium because by default it is set to -1 which is infinite render distance. So by leaving those settings alone and bumping up the resolution to 1280x720 he would be getting 60-65 fps instead of the 75 fps. Based on how other people perform, he would most likely be getting around 30 fps in a large scale battle. Not the best but it is still playable.
Is rendering distance based on settings now? Used to be -1 regardless of settings when I messed with it anyway.
Old 2012-11-18, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Maskills
Private

Is rendering distance based on settings now? Used to be -1 regardless of settings when I messed with it anyway.
It might, probably part of the optimization they have been doing to get this game in shape for release. Im glad sony stated that you only need a duel core and a dx9 card with 256mb of video memory for the minimum requirements. Most people on budget builds or laptops only have duel cores. The last thing this game needs at release is to still be poorly optimized. Also the max you can do on textures is 5, not 4 as i stated

Last edited by Maskills; 2012-11-18 at 06:06 PM.
Old 2012-11-18, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

DUAL
It's DUAL. DUAL IS TWO.

Not DUEL. DUELS ARE FIGHTS.

Sorry, but I can't stand it anymore. It's like fucking "turrents".

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-11-19, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Maskills
Private

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
DUAL
It's DUAL. DUAL IS TWO.

Not DUEL. DUELS ARE FIGHTS.

Sorry, but I can't stand it anymore. It's like fucking "turrents".
Sorry bro, i know the feeling though haha. But yah the game is getting really optimized, might run decently well on my quad core laptop im getting ( by well i mean at least 30fps in busy areas)
Old 2012-11-21, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
termhn
Sergeant

Here's a $520 (before rebates) build I would do... though this is i3 which I know you guys have discussed so... yeah just my contribution :P

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=25945427

Embrace the Shadows.
Old 2012-11-22, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Please, Listen to Goku. You are going to get a vastly better gaming experience on Intel hardware, its just a sad fact. I want AMD to be as competitive performance wise as the next guy, but they just are not. Even if they did have comparable performance in gaming, they still nearly double the power and heat of Intel CPU's.

So ill settle this argument by showing you that you can build a potent gaming system for less that $500, with an i5 Ivy Bridge. On this machine you will be able to play PS2 all freaking day, and stream, record whatever the hell you want without a problem and you won't have to be fooling around arguing w/ us about i3's or Phenoms, or FX or Trintiy or whatever else AMD is still selling. The i5 will probably still be bad ass CPU 3 years from now, and next spring when AMD comes out w/ 8000 Series GPU's and you get your Tax return back or save some scrap up. You can easily pop that HD7770 and put an HD8870 in the your box, and sell the Old GPU w/o having to remove more than about 4 screws and a power connector.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($61.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($28.42 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $447.34
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-22 09:59 EST-0500)

Last edited by MrSmegz; 2012-11-22 at 09:09 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum