PS going FTP - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm Common Pool, thankyouverymuch.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2014-04-25, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
SgtMAD
Captain

Re: PS going FTP

Originally Posted by Edfishy View Post
They said before that the PS1 servers ran off of some old Pentium 4's. What'd be awesome of SOE is to someday just make it open source. We're talking about a game built in the early early 2000's and now over 10 years old.
I happen to know a guy that has cracked PS wide open, I have seen med tools spout flames reks fire bullets.
he can change all sorts of things around, he has been waiting for open source for almost a decade now.

Godless knows who I am talking about

hell, they were talking about setting up a private server years ago, just didn't do it due to legal concerns

Last edited by SgtMAD; 2014-04-25 at 05:32 PM.
Old 2014-04-25, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by SgtMAD View Post
I happen to know a guy that has cracked PS wide open, I have seen med tools spout flames reks fire bullets.
he can change all sorts of things around, he has been waiting for open source for almost a decade now.

hell, they were talking about setting up a private server years ago, just didn't do it due to legal concerns
Well, they (SOE) seem to be enjoying the positive attention they're getting for the whole H1Z1 "redditinize our game!" bit. Were they to announce in a couple months that they were going to be making Planetside 1 open source before the end of the year, I think they'd get decent press. "Sony's giving back to their player community by allowing an old MMO to actually be run by the community!? Awesome!".

Financially there's nothing more to get out of it the old fashioned way, but boy could they buy themselves some goodwill.
Old 2014-04-25, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
ncfan
Private

here it comes guys and girls all access is rolling in on a train this tuesday. here is proof. i can hardly wait

https://forums.station.sony.com/soe/...st-11500341422
Old 2014-04-26, 12:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #139
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Quite a few community members know who you're talking about :P (well, maybe not quite a few, but a good handful). Good times, haven't spoken to S in a while.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2014-04-26, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #140
GodlessHeretic
Private

We have the technology...

With luck and good timing, i may finish school/training in time so i could help out with that project. Man, that would be awesome.

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
Quite a few community members know who you're talking about :P (well, maybe not quite a few, but a good handful). Good times, haven't spoken to S in a while.
He's still around, biding his time...

Last edited by GodlessHeretic; 2014-04-26 at 03:09 AM.
Old 2014-04-26, 04:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #141
QuiCKaNdDeaDLy
Corporal

Why does every1 act like Secant is the Big Unknown?

He just should ask Smed he can Start a Private Server without them sueing him like the SWGEmu guys did. At this point I see good Chances for a ok...

If I remember right SOE cant make it open Source because it was Orginaly Developed by some other Company named V... (cant remember)
Old 2014-04-26, 06:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #142
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by QuiCKaNdDeaDLy View Post
Why does every1 act like Secant is the Big Unknown?

He just should ask Smed he can Start a Private Server without them sueing him like the SWGEmu guys did. At this point I see good Chances for a ok...

If I remember right SOE cant make it open Source because it was Orginaly Developed by some other Company named V... (cant remember)
Verant.

But irrc Verant was merged into SOE at one point.
Old 2014-04-26, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #143
Figment
Lieutenant General

Mailed Smedley about the bugs. Interestingly, I too asked if Secant could be allowed to help fix the game - asked Smedley if they couldn't set up a contract where players would work on it for free, but would still have legal obligations.
Old 2014-04-26, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #144
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Mailed Smedley about the bugs. Interestingly, I too asked if Secant could be allowed to help fix the game - asked Smedley if they couldn't set up a contract where players would work on it for free, but would still have legal obligations.
That's the problem. SOE is stretched too thin to manage or organize community members, so writing up a creative commons legal protection and then just releasing the source code would be the best way to go about it.

You've got to have guts and vision to do this though:

A) You're admitting your company doesn't have the manpower to work the product.

B) You're risking the 0.0001% chance a competitor or fan tries to wiggle out of the legal protection and make money off of decades old work.

C) You've got to convince the upper management (who's already concerned about your department's performance considering there's no "WoW", "WoT", or "COD" in the dossier), that a totally unconventional approach like trusting the community to freely distribute and operate one of your IP's is a good decision.

Ultimately the phantom risks of setting PlanetSide 1 up as an open source product are miniscule (more and more a standard practice in this era), and the prospective public relation gains are huge.

Link: Star Wars: Jedi Academy made Open Source
Link: Microsoft moves .NET to Open Source
Old 2014-04-27, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #145
Figment
Lieutenant General

I also made mention that the reason they didn't remove BFRs was that they were legally obligated to provide access to it due to the aftershock expansion promising such.

With the caves not possible to enter and locked in their TR/NC and neutral ways, they do not provide this content, nor the content of Core Combat to Vanu players.

Furthermore, I mentioned that the PS2 player studio proved succesful, so why not allow modding of PS1 by professional hobbyists?
Old 2014-04-27, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #146
OpolE
Sergeant Major

If core cambat is disabled then I guess the masses would come back as there wouldn't be BFR's again? Right?

4000+ Hours of PS1
Old 2014-04-27, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #147
Minigun
Staff Sergeant

What was that Chinese version of planetside that hovered around for a little while.
Old 2014-04-27, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #148
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

Originally Posted by Minigun View Post
What was that Chinese version of planetside that hovered around for a little while.
Welkin 4591

Twitter | Dragon Wolves
Old 2014-04-27, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #149
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

It also went by "mars wars" if i recall right...or was that a different game?
Old 2014-04-28, 01:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #150
OpolE
Sergeant Major

Mars war/ Welkin is just horrific. I played Mars War for a bit, and also made a few Chinese logins and there was only a few weapons and maps added since launch and it runs horrible.

It helped a few boring days go by but seriously, disgustingly shit game. And dead too. Maybe 50 on at peak

4000+ Hours of PS1
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion