Planetside 2 and Trolls - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where tiggers can bounce freely
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: How should SOE be against trolls?
Trolling is natural, waste your time banning cheaters not trolls 51 55.43%
Ban every troll....even if they are paying customers. 24 26.09%
Only ban trolls who troll too much 8 8.70%
Ban trolls who troll too much but never permanetly ban them 8 8.70%
Ban trolls but if they actually buy stuff...Don't ban them 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-02, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Arius
Corporal

Re: Planetside 2 and Trolls

Everybody does their share of trolling now and then. Aslong as its not griefing, its just something that happens.
Old 2012-04-02, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Sometimes I troll for a cause(most of the times I just troll to troll)....Like sometimes I see some people being dicks(Usually my role) so to make interdasting I troll them to see what happens...they usually get all mad.

LoL model is freaking horrible dude....I mean Horrible for the most part.

First of all the people consider anything a troll even when is not a troll, I guess that's because a lot of people troll like me but the LoL people have no common sense in distinguishing what is a troll...basically somebody sucks so they are a troll which aint true.

I guess LoL model is the best a developer could do tho...is not their fault that people over use the feature against innocent people.

I have gotten ban from LoL for like 3 days.

Yes alot of people do that in everything lol.

Usually in League of Legends somebody sucks then they say they are trolling but I can tell they care by the way they play....so to prove a non existant point when we are winning I start feeding on purpose, announce it over the game that the reason Im doing it is to stand up for the true trolling ideal......then I usually ask the person to apologize or else I will keep feeding.

They usually don't apologize out of internet pride/ego.....so I keep feeding and we lose.

Then they get all mad and I get reported...is pretty fun.
The LoL Tribunal system is run by the community that plays the game. If you're getting banned by it then the community doesn't like what you are doing. And please define "sucks" in the context you are using. That really doesn't paint a clear picture here.
Old 2012-04-02, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
SKYeXile
Major General

Sometimes I troll for a cause(most of the times I just troll to troll)....Like sometimes I see some people being dicks(Usually my role) so to make interdasting I troll them to see what happens...they usually get all mad.

LoL model is freaking horrible dude....I mean Horrible for the most part.

First of all the people consider anything a troll even when is not a troll, I guess that's because a lot of people troll like me but the LoL people have no common sense in distinguishing what is a troll...basically somebody sucks so they are a troll which aint true.

I guess LoL model is the best a developer could do tho...is not their fault that people over use the feature against innocent people.

I have gotten ban from LoL for like 3 days.

Yes alot of people do that in everything lol.

Usually in League of Legends somebody sucks then they say they are trolling but I can tell they care by the way they play....so to prove a non existant point when we are winning I start feeding on purpose, announce it over the game that the reason Im doing it is to stand up for the true trolling ideal......then I usually ask the person to apologize or else I will keep feeding.

They usually don't apologize out of internet pride/ego.....so I keep feeding and we lose.

Then they get all mad and I get reported...is pretty fun.
Sounds like you should be reported then, looks like the system works.

Planetside needs a similar system, you can only have game systems that can pickup a limited number of things, they dont take into account somebody jumping in front of fire, blocking something off with a vehicle or just been a general retard, we will need something more than just grief to combat the ass hat factor.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-04-02, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Sounds like you should be reported then, looks like the system works.

Planetside needs a similar system, you can only have game systems that can pickup a limited number of things, they dont take into account somebody jumping in front of fire, blocking something off with a vehicle or just been a general retard, we will need something more than just grief to combat the ass hat factor.
The system works kinda because luckily Riot puts a high limit in the ammounts somebody can be reported...so u need a lot of reports.

I was just saying people in LoL think everything is a troll even though some people truly arnt and they report a crappy player who they think is a troll.

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
The LoL Tribunal system is run by the community that plays the game. If you're getting banned by it then the community doesn't like what you are doing. And please define "sucks" in the context you are using. That really doesn't paint a clear picture here.
I mean suck...Like the person isn't good but LoL players think everything is a troll so they report them for trolling.

Like I said it works kinda because riot is smart enough to put high limits in the reports so somebody really needs to be reported a lot to be banned for like 2 days...I was just saying people's reporting in individual bases is flawed in a lot of cases.

Last edited by Dreamcast; 2012-04-02 at 05:42 PM.
Old 2012-04-02, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Use LoL's system, it's proven monumentally successful. Jury by the game's peers, it's the fairest possible way to provide justice in EXACTLY the way the community wants that justice done, jury by their peers.

Sure, they consider anything a troll, that's because it's not just an anti troll system, it's an anti-anything-people-dislike system. Anything that the majority dislikes can get the hell out. What people consider douchebaggery, negative behaviour, anything that brings down the tone of the game, anything that in the majority people consider to have a negative impact on the enjoyment of the game, it can all fuck off. This is why the tribunal system works, it works in enforcing what the community wants in it's community's behaviour. It enforces the type of environment and social behaviour that everyone wants to play the game in.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-04-02, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
SKYeXile
Major General

The system works kinda because luckily Riot puts a high limit in the ammounts somebody can be reported...so u need a lot of reports.

I was just saying people in LoL think everything is a troll even though some people truly arnt and they report a crappy player who they think is a troll.

I mean suck...Like the person isn't good but LoL players think everything is a troll so they report them for trolling.

Like I said it works kinda because riot is smart enough to put high limits in the reports so somebody really needs to be reported a lot to be banned for like 2 days...I was just saying people's reporting in individual bases is flawed in a lot of cases.
they don't need to be reported a lot they need to be judged by 20 of their peers, deemed by the majority as guilty and then a GM agreeing with that verdict for somebody to receive action against their account.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-02, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Forum moderation and game privilege are two different things.

As long as a forum ban does not mean a game ban (lol EA), then how they handle forum trolls doesn't impact the game, so whether they are paying customers or not is irrelevant.

Edit for in-game trolling as opposed to forum trolling...

That league of Legends system looks good.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-04-02 at 06:14 PM.
Old 2012-04-02, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

I guess I am too old for this thread. I have never even heard of "in game trolling". I thought it was "griefing", "teamkilling" or "spying". As far as I know/knew, trolling is strictly a reference for online communities and/or forums.

Again, I guess I'm too "outdated" for all this internet jive talk lingo ...

As far as "griefers" go .. bring back PS1's grief system and it will take care of itself.
Old 2012-04-02, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Tasorin
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
Ah. That's not called trolling, you see. It's called Griefing. You may think it's called trolling because maybe you're not old enough to know what it used to be called, before people tried to make it all cute. Trolling is a Forumside thing, not a Planetside thing. At least get it right.

Since the game is going to be f2p, SOE would be idiotic to ignore the issues Realtime Worlds and then GamersFirst had with APB. Cheaters and griefers everywhere, made the game almost unplayable. They eventually instituted a harsher policy and some new technology to catch cheaters, and they managed to somewhat curtail the griefers, but only just so. The game is still barely playable.

Hardware bans would be the only way to really get it done, from my limited knowledge on the subject. I also wouldn't mind them requiring a credit card number. Oh no, does that mean the kiddies won't be able to play? Perish the thought!
+9001.

TK's are easy to deal with and more often then not they believe they are disrupting the game more then they are. When we see douche bag's like you Dreamcast in game and you shoot down one of us as a teamkill, no matter what name you are playing under, we are going to be saying in Vent. "Kill that motherfucker [Insert your douche bag name here] he TK'd me." You might as well paint a big target on your back, because we are not going to stop at just killing you back once. We will take turns TK'ing you back so whatever grief system they put in we can minimize the effect from. Realistically you are going to get to grief PuG's with TK'ing with little retribution, that is who will suffer from TK's. A simple /Global system could easily address the PuG's problem and put your name in the mouth of every pissed off squad/unit leader that is trying to get something done on the Continent you are causing problems on.

All PS2 accounts should be tied to a Station Account. All Station accounts should require positive identification of the individual registering the account. There are several ways of doing this, and I will let SOE decide which combination of checks to use. This way when you cheat or grief so much your PS2 account is banned and so is your Station Account. At least make the individuals who are going to make multiple accounts to be douche bags on work for more then 5 minuets to make a new account.

Cheating/Hacking is the problem, not players TK'ing.

Last edited by Tasorin; 2012-04-02 at 06:53 PM.
Old 2012-04-02, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Lokster View Post
I guess I am too old for this thread. I have never even heard of "in game trolling". I thought it was "griefing", "teamkilling" or "spying". As far as I know/knew, trolling is strictly a reference for online communities and/or forums.

As far as "griefers" go .. bring back PS1's grief system and it will take care of itself.
oh no you can troll people in broadcast or /c or tells :P ...trust me.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-04-02, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
oh no you can troll people in broadcast or /c or tells :P ...trust me.
Aww this is true. But not in the sense the OP meant.

Seriously though, is TKing called "trolling" now?
Old 2012-04-02, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

I remember when "owned" was invented too buddy...

Edit: Funnily enough, back in the day.. everyone was just a "Hacker" (or a Hexer depending on the game, maybe a scripter if you were that old) and they still use that term. The funny thing about the internet, is it seems terms don't get old.. or even necessarily replaced... there are just simply more ways of saying the same thing.

Last edited by Kilmoran; 2012-04-02 at 06:55 PM.
Old 2012-04-02, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Tasorin View Post
+9001.

TK's are easy to deal with and more often then not they believe they are disrupting the game more then they are. When we see douche bag's like you Dreamcast in game and you shoot down one of us as a teamkill, no matter what name you are playing under, we are going to be saying in Vent. "Kill that motherfucker [Insert your douche bag name here] he TK'd me." You might as well paint a big target on your back, because we are not going to stop at just killing you back once. We will take turns TK'ing you back so whatever grief system they put in we can minimize the effect from. Realistically you are going to get to grief PuG's with TK'ing with little retribution, that is who will suffer from TK's. A simple /Global system could easily address the PuG's problem and put your name in the mouth of every pissed off squad/unit leader that is trying to get something done on the Continent you are causing problems on.

All PS2 accounts should be tied to a Station Account. All Station accounts should require positive intensification of the individual registering the account. There are several ways of doing this, and I will let SOE decide which combination of checks to use. This way when you cheat or grief so much your PS2 account is banned and so is your Station Account. At least make the individuals who are going to make multiple accounts to be douche bags on work for more then 5 minuets to make a new account.

Cheating/Hacking is the problem, not players TK'ing.
lol first of all TKers can be paying customers too so why lose customers....since the grief system will still probably work then u can't tk that much.

Personally I don't tk 24/7, only once and a while because is fun so is not a big deal....I actually like it when people want to kill me so much that they focus on me and not the battle so I wont have a problem with my team tking me.

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Use LoL's system, it's proven monumentally successful. Jury by the game's peers, it's the fairest possible way to provide justice in EXACTLY the way the community wants that justice done, jury by their peers.

Sure, they consider anything a troll, that's because it's not just an anti troll system, it's an anti-anything-people-dislike system. Anything that the majority dislikes can get the hell out. What people consider douchebaggery, negative behaviour, anything that brings down the tone of the game, anything that in the majority people consider to have a negative impact on the enjoyment of the game, it can all fuck off. This is why the tribunal system works, it works in enforcing what the community wants in it's community's behaviour. It enforces the type of environment and social behaviour that everyone wants to play the game in.

As you can see the losing team reports....Why is that?...because the losers always need to blame somebody else.

So Like I said it works because I do get banned sometimes but I can see how it effects innocent people.

But really LoL tribunal doesn't really work on me...I mean I always get reported I have gotten ban like 3 or 4 times for like 3 days...is like whatever to be honest lol and I been playing LoL since for like 2 years.

they don't need to be reported a lot they need to be judged by 20 of their peers, deemed by the majority as guilty and then a GM agreeing with that verdict for somebody to receive action against their account.
I thought lots of reports gets u on the tribunal?....because people report so much that only the ones with the most reports get to the tribunal then punished.

Last edited by Dreamcast; 2012-04-02 at 07:02 PM.
Old 2012-04-02, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
SKYeXile
Major General

Aww this is true. But not in the sense the OP meant.

Seriously though, is TKing called "trolling" now?
well yea, i think it was what he meant.

IMO:
trolling= messing with somebodys mind, generally with the goal to make them angry through means of chat.

greifing= is more broad, but generally negative physical character interaction or disrupting the effectiveness of your "allies".

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-04-02, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Tasorin
Staff Sergeant

Kiddie Script Bunnies.

So bad the only way you can cheat is to copy and paste.

Been dealing with this since the days of BBS and CompUServe before there were modern online games. It's nothing new the name just changes and the meanings evolve with time.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion