So, there's weather. What about VIOLENT weather? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Is that a decimator in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-04-30, 11:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
cellinaire
Captain

Re: So, there's weather. What about VIOLENT weather?

Originally Posted by MercDT View Post
This would be an amazing inclusion into this game, and it would be such a refreshing feature that has been lackluster in many other titles.

Man, I can just imagine walking through a thick fog in a forest while anticipating an ambush.
Man F**ing awesome =)

and the idea about tunnel in the clouds. <333 Devz plz see this thread ^_^;
Old 2012-05-01, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Pillar
Private

I think if done right, extreme weather could be a very dynamic way to add depth to the game. Imagine the tactical possibilities that forecasting that weather would create. Commanders timing raids to take place during gale force winds that deny air support, or planning a stealth approach during a sight crippling blizzard.
Old 2012-05-03, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
stordito
Staff Sergeant

very thick fog...nice idea...
one problem would be graphic glitches/hacking to see thru...
it would be super scary hearing the sundie Horns around you...the noises...
and knowing that you may even trip into a mine or someting...

every cont= 1 special weather event every 3-4 hours or so, in random places nearby hot zones...

i even think this could be easy to implement (weather control in the showcase was pretty much ready for server-triggered commands)

dust storm =desert location
snow = peaks
rainstorm = everywhere else
fog = swamps

also i would suggest

aurora/ electromagnetic storm = caused by solar flare, for 10 minutes all equipments,terms,implants in that area are jammed,no radar.
maybe vanus can deploy vehicles but not use advanced energy weapons...you got the idea.

i'm not sure about meteor rain because that would interfere directly with operations...you can adapt your combact style to fog but you can't possibily dodge a falling rock. and fog does not kill you...
weather should be something you have to deal with in order to succeed,not a direct menace you have to face.
if a meteor rain strikes during a siege it would be an advantage for the ones inside.
rain/fog etc would be just a condition you can adapt to as fast as you can to stay alive.
Old 2012-05-04, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
blackfang
Private

say, what about lightning that doesn't hit the ground. It can hit another sky, lighting up everything
Old 2012-05-06, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Mabey these storms can produce wind that move aircraft in a certian direction makeing it hard to hover as the pilots have to keep fighting against the wind.

But say tornado or hurricain, mabey mabey not.
Old 2012-07-19, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
BraavikStal
Private

Well the devs have already confirmed that they are going to add weather effects, so making them a bit more extreme wouldn't be too hard.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
FireStormNova
Corporal

While there is a massive epic 3 way battle raging in the middle of a open field every one looks up? METEOR SHOWER run for cover,there is no cover!
Today on Auraxis News many troops from all factions where taken out by a METEOR SHOWER!
Old 2012-07-20, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Pinkie Pie
Corporal

yes. all my support for this idea. lightning storms, dust storms, all that jazz.
although.. won't that make the game even harder for the comp. to run? just wonderin'...
Old 2012-07-20, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by LONGFELLA KOJ View Post
I like this! How about we go beyond just rain and snow and add in ROUSs!!!

Rodents of Unusual Size - YouTube
Hahahahaha YES. Seriously though, violent weather would be awesome. I can just see myself walking through the swamp on a foggy morning with an IR scope, murdering everything.
Old 2012-07-21, 04:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Cuross
Master Sergeant

The simple way to start would, of course, be the vision impairing weather effects like rain, fog, snow, and dust. That kind of stuff I think we can all agree would be relatively simple to put in at release. Don't know about the optics making you more effective during said conditions, at release, but definitely it would be fun to have thermal optics during fog. I can't imagine thermal optics being as effective through dust, snow, and rain because of all the particles in between and light reflections, but that's a real life issue and not so much an issue for games haha. But later I think it would be awesome to see weather affecting vehicles and weapons. That would just be cool. And far too tempting to want to fly my Scythe through a hurricane just to drop a bunch of rounds on a tank column despite the risks
Old 2012-07-21, 04:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
TR Oakley
Private

I am a supporter of violent weather that can actually screw up use of vehicles in particular. Weather just being a vision decreaser is good, but having it dynamically change what you can and can't deploy on a battlefield all of a sudden will make for some interesting stuff.
Old 2012-07-21, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

I don't think harsh weather should somehow "mechanically prevent usage" of certain vehicles (like not letting you spawn an aircraft in thunderstorm) but it would be fantastic to see dynamic, violent weather that mimics real life. You can take your plane out in a hurricane, if you really want to... It would be fantastic.
Old 2012-07-21, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Pinkie Pie
Corporal

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
I don't think harsh weather should somehow "mechanically prevent usage" of certain vehicles (like not letting you spawn an aircraft in thunderstorm) but it would be fantastic to see dynamic, violent weather that mimics real life. You can take your plane out in a hurricane, if you really want to... It would be fantastic.
i actually think that it SHOULD prevent certain vehicles. for example, if there's a sandstorm, you wouldn't be able to fly an aircraft.
because that's to a large part how it works today and right now. the sand more or less f*ck up the engines and stuff. or.. well, you COULD, but you'd get about ten feet and then crash from a clogged engine/turbine.

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; 2012-07-21 at 06:53 PM.
Old 2012-07-23, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Lumberchuk
Corporal

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie View Post
i actually think that it SHOULD prevent certain vehicles. for example, if there's a sandstorm, you wouldn't be able to fly an aircraft.
because that's to a large part how it works today and right now. the sand more or less f*ck up the engines and stuff. or.. well, you COULD, but you'd get about ten feet and then crash from a clogged engine/turbine.
They did say sandstorms might remove the minimap but not effect flying directly.
Old 2012-07-23, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Morphic
Private

Its a real shame more games dont have these kinds of things. Weather and dangerous weather are very cool in games.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault