News: New Patch Notes - Test Server 13-06-13 - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The REAL reason you flunked 5th grade
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-06-13, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: New Patch Notes - Test Sever 13-06-13

I mentioned this on FNO a few weeks back, but here's a quick recap now that you have the context of the tutorial and the map tutorial...

The map tutorial is a prototype for a more robust in-game help. The viewer is rather simple with just cycling pages, but if you imagine an index and some additional navigation tools there can be a lot more content in there and then it becomes more of a universal help browser. Then various help buttons in the UI are linked to the appropriate page in the browser. Adding additional pages, topics, and links is then fairly straightforward and more can be added over time. Simple and easy is important here, the fancier it gets the longer it takes and potentially the more confusing it can be. Simple and consistent.

That's where we'd like to go with it, so if concepts or topics are missing that you'd like to see, let me know and I can see about adding it in.

The big picture is that the interactive tutorial when you make a character teaches you the game fundamentals (with vehicles, generators, jump pads, turrets, shields coming Soon to that). When you're done with that you should know how to do the basic things in the game, capture facilities, switch classes, get vehicles, respawn, and instant action. With that you can get in and start having fun relatively quickly after starting a character.

Then to compliment that and support additional learning over time you have in-game help reference like the map tutorial. Now expand that to experience, certs, marketplace, loadouts, etc.

The idea is to allow players to discover the game and easily find help about the game concepts and the UI but to do so at their own pace. Trying to put too much information at a player in the tutorial will just be information overload. That's why the tutorial is fairly short, and more complicated concepts like how to read the map can be provided as reference for them to pick up on their own pace.

No promises on when (or if) any of that will get added in, but that's the general idea. The Map Tutorial is the first step to the in-game help manual side of things.
Old 2013-06-13, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
HitbackTR
Sergeant

ZOE nerf, who didn't see that coming, seriously. Won't stop VS maxes being effective though if they are being used by good players, ZOE or not.
Old 2013-06-13, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Timealude
Captain

seems they also combined all the composite armor and the other helmets into there own little packs. Also seems like they may have changed the explosions used for flak and im not sure about this but it seems the ZOE nerf didnt go through.

Last edited by Timealude; 2013-06-13 at 09:00 PM.
Old 2013-06-13, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Timealude View Post
seems they also combined all the composite armor and the other helmets into there own little packs. Also seems like they may have changed the explosions used for flak and im not sure about this but it seems the ZOE nerf didnt go through.
Isnt that interesting.
Someone who says it seems like the ZOE nerf didnt go through and others claim its nerfed way too much.
Both VS.
Old 2013-06-13, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Whiteagle
Major

Hey Malorn, since you're still around...

...What the FUCK is this?
Old 2013-06-13, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by DirtyBird View Post
Isnt that interesting.
Someone who says it seems like the ZOE nerf didnt go through and others claim its nerfed way too much.
Both VS.
Well I have always been against the idea of adding a cooldown to it when the other empires have it permanently. Im fine with the damage increase but like the others said both of those is just too far. And just because it didnt go through on the test server doesnt mean that they dont plan on doing it..for all I know it could be just a bug.

Last edited by Timealude; 2013-06-13 at 09:59 PM.
Old 2013-06-13, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Chewy
Major

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
Hey Malorn, since you're still around...

...What the FUCK is this?
I like that. It limits the no mans lands around a tower base. As is on live a good chunk of the towers back is a no go for any vehicles or get hit from people behind the shields, same with the vehicle bay. You also couldn't get to the stairs without having to watch for shield campers. Some good shots can hold on both stairs without having to be in any risk.

Tower shields are safe spots at 3 places for defenders to camp. 2nd floor is easy to avoid and the top is a pain for air but needed to stop tank spam. Defenders don't need one at the ground floor as well. The portal is still there and still has a shield so you can still get down safely but can't use it as a crutch anymore.
Old 2013-06-13, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Timealude View Post
Well I have always been against the idea of adding a cooldown to it when the other empires have it permanently. Im fine with the damage increase but like the others said both of those is just too far. And just because it didnt go through on the test server doesnt mean that they dont plan on doing it..for all I know it could be just a bug.
My point is others have not mentioned that it didnt go thru to the test server when posting their disappointment.
You see complaints about how much this nerf has hit them and its overkill, yet your response is it didnt go thru.
Did it or didnt it, was it there and now removed?
Maybe people posted before actually testing it.

Originally Posted by LoliLoveFart View Post
Already tested it, the double nerf is wayyyyyyy too much. If it goes live VS will re enter forum side 2 with renewed vigor. Although since people learned how to deal with ZOE maxes i found my self using charge a lot more.
Good changes on the bursters for TR and VS though.
Example only, I expect Akbar has been on the PST.

Last edited by DirtyBird; 2013-06-14 at 12:23 AM.
Old 2013-06-13, 11:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

Malorn: Any word on how the new map tutorial explains the seemingly random respawn options. Especially in light of being able to wait on the respawn/map screen and watch the ability to spawn at a particular base come and go.*

This is extremely frustrating simply because we've had no word as to whether this is a bug or working as intended. If you don't know what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll take screenies and document it better for you.

*No they aren't being capped/SCU destroyed repaired.
Old 2013-06-13, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
The idea is to allow players to discover the game and easily find help about the game concepts and the UI but to do so at their own pace. Trying to put too much information at a player in the tutorial will just be information overload. That's why the tutorial is fairly short, and more complicated concepts like how to read the map can be provided as reference for them to pick up on their own pace.
Well that's exactly my problem with the current map tutorial. While the info on the topics is brief, it doesn't FEEL short for me as a new player because the way it is presented right now. I have to wade to 13 pages of explanations to learn about basic game concepts and the map. For me as a player that is information overload, I'm lost after page 3.

The reason being that when I read that hovering over territory will show additional region info, I want to instantly try that out. But now I have to shut down the tutorial to experience it myself and then reboot it again. That's just annoying. This problem can be easily solved by making the tutorial a regular multi-task window that just sticks on top of the map, can be dragged around but still allows for the player trying stuff out on the go while he reads about it in the tutorial.

Last edited by Rolfski; 2013-06-13 at 11:49 PM.
Old 2013-06-14, 03:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Stanis
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
To be fair that is actually what it was supposed to be, instead of a DUH why would you NOT have ZOE active all the time?

NC shield and TR lockdown are both very situational even though they don't have a timer. The ZOE from the start was supposed to make you choose as well but the good outweighed the bad by so much you hardly noticed.
Also it is on the test server so maybe the data and feedback from that will get it more properly balanced when it goes live.
The downside to having ZOE online :

purple glowing target
20% extra damage

The problem with an 8 second timer :

its more 'win' if you're winning. otherwise it's useless.

The timer should be a cooldown when you activate or deactivate.
Ie: NO flipping it on or off.

I think that's all that ZOE needed.
Old 2013-06-14, 04:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
typhaon
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Those thresholds are for securing or losing the 'lock' benefits and are unrelated to alerts. I'll make sure the notes are updated to be more clear on that point.

Terminology changed to be more accurate. You're dominating the continent and getting a benefit. Previously it was all-or-nothing, now it's easier to get a lock and to deny it.
Who cares?

Any word on when we're going to get more continents and a more dynamic endgame (not sure if that's the best word)?

I suspect what this will do is finally take away any hint of pride factions have in holding a continent lock for a long time. The bonuses are already pretty pointless... but I do remember caring when NC fought hard to hold on to it's Indar continent lock for a week... the last stand battles were probably the most 'urgent' things I've done in this game in a year of playing.

After this patch... that's a done deal. There won't be any epic last stands... if your'e low on population - not much you'll be able to do, just trading 10% bonuses back and forth... (yawn).
Old 2013-06-14, 05:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
PredatorFour
Major

Disappointed that the Striker bug isn't on he list, my number 1 pet hate bug in this game. Don't think they even care which is a shame, they just don't seem to acknowledge it.

(talking about flying in an esf, using flares and it still hitting you when you think your safe)
Old 2013-06-14, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Please dont give the zoe max a fuel timer, the armor debuff is a big enough nerf.
Old 2013-06-14, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
MrMak
Sergeant Major

Wow Vanu realy are a bunch of whiners arent they? Seriously that damage taken increase is NOTHING when you can plow through infantry the way you do with this thing.

As to why lockdown and Aegis are "permanet" while ZOE gets a cooldown? Becouse your benefits always outweigh the negatives and the damn thing is usable in every possible scenario.

Lockdown removes one stat completly and buffs one other (completly defencless against flanking when active).

The Aegis shield removes one stat and buffs another (not limitles and possible to circumvent with splash damage and flanking).

ZOE buffs 2 stats and merely reduces one. Also: you an flip it on and off instantly whiel the other 2 leave you vunerable for a second or 2 when you do it.

Honestly get your alien loving heads out of your asses and stop pretending to be some sort of victims.

Last edited by MrMak; 2013-06-14 at 07:54 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion