Ninja-Vanguard Nerfs? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Basilisk > Vanguard
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-17, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Ninja-Vanguard Nerfs?

I have had a lot of experience driving a vanguard, and as a result, gunning a Vanguard in-outfit. About a month or so ago I started to notice that the splash damage for the Van's shell seemed to be having a lot harder time insta-killing infantry unless it was an agile or lower or I landed the shot at their feet/chest. Main gun still kills infantry well, but not with the efficency it once did, too many rexos get away with 1/3 hp showing.

Mowing, before all infantry were turned into mobile speedbumps, the van and Mag were both awesome at mowing infantry. (so they should be, its a frikken tank!) I have been opposed to the inertia dampeners, however, one can deal with it and with the bad came the end to that oh-so-irritating ams mowing.

THe vanguard could still mow reasonably well, losing a good deal of acceleration, but still killing at 20-25 kph, since this last patch at full speed, Rexos will get hit and many times seem to limp away with 1/4 -1/3 hp. I hope that as it was unannounced it might be a bug, but I figured I might as well check, its certainly frustrating ramming that idiotic rexo with jammer/thumpers and having him survive.
Infantry own the inside, tanks the outside, air own the tanks and AA owns the air, its a delicate balence imo, and i hope that this is not a consious series of ninja-changes on behalf of the devs.

--

On a side note, since this last patch, falling damage seems to deal armor damage rather than hp damage.
Old 2004-03-17, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
oddfish
Colonel

i say fuck it, let's just see what happens

My Blog
[20:19] <Phobos> oddfish: Glad to see you, now help me move this dead body.
Old 2004-03-17, 11:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Also 3rd person for gunner seems instantly locked into the closest mode, feels like I am wearing blinders trying to gun for that thing now. =\
Old 2004-03-18, 12:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Subterfuge
Corporal

I dont know what your talking about, Every time I see a Van , I shit my pants. They run me over , even if I had full armor and health I'd still die. The shell's from the van still 1 hit me. All in all, I dont think it needs a buff, at all.
Old 2004-03-18, 12:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
BigFreak
Sergeant Major

Yea, having to aim to instakill isn't too much of a problem. Either way, it's a pain in the ass to not be able to do anything when you see a vanguard coming at you.
Old 2004-03-18, 01:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Prowlers are better infantry killers...

And Mags suck because they take so long to kill you, freaking draw it out just to torment you...

The Van's splash was a helluva lot better before the Balance Pass...

Old 2004-03-18, 04:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Subterfuge
I dont know what your talking about, Every time I see a Van , I shit my pants. They run me over , even if I had full armor and health I'd still die. The shell's from the van still 1 hit me. All in all, I dont think it needs a buff, at all.
Well again, I first noticed the mowing nerf last patch, so unless vans have still been mowing you, to which I would say you were probably already damaged. The shells still instakill, however the radius for it is way smaller.

I also did not say it needed a buff, I was wondering if anyone else had noticed the ninja-nerfs and was wondering if such unannounced nerfs were in fact nerfs, or bugs.

Originally Posted by BigFreak
Yea, having to aim to instakill isn't too much of a problem. Either way, it's a pain in the ass to not be able to do anything when you see a vanguard coming at you.
You must not have heard of a Jammer grenade, its pain in the ass when everyone and their grandmother throws those everywhere too. Also AV, every little bit helps, when I circle around a hilltop, 5 guys with strikers will chew me up faster than anything.

Infantry are glass, its not supposed to take much to break them, thus the reason why zerging from tower-to-base with no tanks almost never works unless the defenders don't have tanks too.
Old 2004-03-18, 04:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Afaik both the Prowler and the Vanguard require direct hits for instakill (in my experience anyway) and spash damage is gonna hurt.

I dunno, I mean I know tanks should be able to flatten infantry but it's clear as day that drivers of Vanguards and Magriders (Mag's more understandable as it has a weapon, not much but....) drive off without gunners. Prowler at least tends to pick up one gunner. Reason being is because the other two can do a better job of mowing (not that the Prowler cant, but they're a lot slower than the Magrider or Vanguard)

Hopefully once they get shared xp for Vehicles it shouldn't really be a problem because more people will be willing to gun/have a gunner in tanks and so your gunner should at least soften infantry up before you give yourself a new red bumper.
Old 2004-03-18, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

I have always been of the opinion that infantry should be roadkill at around 15-20kph without slowing down, but... the way infantry like to bitch about magmowers and such, thats probably not coming back.
As is, if I hit someone i might as well have hit a tree or something, I come to a stop and have to accellerate while all their buddies jammer/ run in front of me some more, What makes it worse is now where I hit one guy and he does not even die and the above still happens.
Old 2004-03-18, 06:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

I am one such bitcher. I have no problems about dying from being run over by a tank.

I do however, have a problem by being run over by a tank without a gunner (or vehicle such as the AMS) because it's a lot easier for the driver to just mow people. It's not fun, it's annoying and it's cheap.
Old 2004-03-18, 06:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Bad Mojo
Contributor
Master Sergeant

The Vanguards anti-infantry splash damage was reduced a LONG time ago. Last year. And, as far as I can tell, hasn't changed since.
Old 2004-03-18, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Eldanesh
Also 3rd person for gunner seems instantly locked into the closest mode, feels like I am wearing blinders trying to gun for that thing now. =\
Use the + and - keys to change how far away you are in 3rd person.
Old 2004-03-18, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Bad Mojo
The Vanguards anti-infantry splash damage was reduced a LONG time ago. Last year. And, as far as I can tell, hasn't changed since.
And BTW Eldanesh, the Rexo had a 2 point armor absorb buff to it so that may also be why your having trouble but come on dude... It's not that hard to get two shots on someone now is it?

Old 2004-03-18, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Just an Idea I'd like to throw out into the opn while we are on the topic of tanks. I play all 3 empires, and the Magrider's Rail Beam requiring 2 shots to kill an infantry really bugs me. I think that with a DIRECT HIT (as in, the bolt itself actually impacts the infantry) the Magrider should get a one-shot kill. Hitting with the splash should still require 2 hits to kill.

Anyone whos gunned in a Magrider knows that its not easy to hit an infantry dead on unless they are pretty close, so I don't think this would be a really unfair buff. The Magrider tends to bump around a lot, and since the Magrider is a pretty quick tank, it's not easy to hit someone dead on when you are zooming along.

It just really bugs me that an infantry can take a direct hit from a tank's main gun and survive. The other 2 tanks get a one-hit kill with splash damage. The Magrider shouldn't get a one hit kill with splash, but it should still have the capability to one-hit kill an infantry with a very good shot.

EDIT: I totally forgot about the PPA somehow. : I guess this makes up for the Magrider's lack of the one-hit kill for infantry, so I withdraw my proposal... ah well, it sounded good when I wrote it...

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-03-18 at 01:28 PM.
Old 2004-03-18, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by 321
Use the + and - keys to change how far away you are in 3rd person.
When I say locked in closest zoom I mean the + - keys on numpad do not work.

Also it is not that hard to hit someone twice, but its the very idea that I have to hit a rexo just as many times to kill it as a max.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion