Prosieben is listening to the European Community - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your daily dealer.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-22, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
somers
Corporal

Prosieben is listening to the European Community

As I see it now, we are still wondering exactly what prosieben is doing and whether or not SOE is just trying to make more money without thinking of their fans... John Smedley is probably organizing a meeting with Prosieben now and discussing the current situation. NO NEED TO DO ANYTHING STUPID YET!!! (deleting your SOE account...) JUST WAIT FOR MORE INFO!!!!
Old 2012-02-22, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
DayOne
Captain

Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community

I just hope this means that SOE and Pro7 have gone "Oh shit" at the community's feedback and are going to do something about it.

So long as they lift the region lock and it doesn't affect beta access due to location then I can deal with it.

Last edited by DayOne; 2012-02-22 at 06:08 PM.
Old 2012-02-22, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
somers
Corporal

Originally Posted by DayOne View Post
I just hope this means that SOE and Pro7 have gone "Oh shit" at the community's feedback and are going to do something about it.
Me too, me too...
Old 2012-02-22, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Figment
Lieutenant General

So long as they lift the region lock and it doesn't affect beta access due to location then I can deal with it.
AND if they promise not to interfere with the content we get from SOE patches beyond localisation (text).

I don't trust a company that made a f2p game into a pay to win game before if there are no contractual bonds that prevent them from doing so again.
Old 2012-02-22, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Yeah, because nobody at SOE could have predicted that the community would respond negatively to this little announcement.
Old 2012-02-22, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
somers
Corporal

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
AND if they promise not to interfere with the content we get from SOE patches beyond localisation (text).

I don't trust a company that made a f2p game into a pay to win game before if there are no contractual bonds that prevent them from doing so again.
I get what you are saying in your first fragment and agree, but can you reword the second? I don't understand...
Old 2012-02-22, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Wakken
Sergeant

I hope the same. And hopefully SOE will take EU too... I dont want no sucky community service! I've had enough of that bs

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
Old 2012-02-22, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DayOne
Captain

Originally Posted by somers View Post
I get what you are saying in your first fragment and agree, but can you reword the second? I don't understand...
He means that they made games so that you have to pay money to get the best items and you can't do shit if you try to play fully for free.
Old 2012-02-22, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
somers
Corporal

He means that they made games so that you have to pay money to get the best items and you can't do shit if you try to play fully for free.
Ah ok, so basically most "F2P" games. Except Higby already stated all buy-able stuff will only be for aesthetics.
Old 2012-02-22, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Figment
Lieutenant General

Ah ok, so basically most "F2P" games. Except Higby already stated all buy-able stuff will only be for aesthetics.
Yes, which was the case with the IP they "adapted" over time as well, because they didn't get enough money out of the cosmetic sales.

http://mmohuts.com/editorials/alapla...-arena-shooter

Ironically, this article on MMOhuts was probably never read as often as today. >_>
Old 2012-02-22, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
somers
Corporal

Yes, which was the case with the IP they "adapted" over time as well, because they didn't get enough money out of the cosmetic sales.

http://mmohuts.com/editorials/alapla...-arena-shooter

Ironically, this article on MMOhuts was probably never read as often as today. >_>
Now i get it, but only after a long time of not gaining any money would SOE pull something like this. PS2 will definitely outsell PS1 due to all the coverage and SOE will be raking in money for a while before pulling a dickmove on the community.
Old 2012-02-22, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Figment
Lieutenant General

Now i get it, but only after a long time of not gaining any money would SOE pull something like this. PS2 will definitely outsell PS1 due to all the coverage and SOE will be raking in money for a while before pulling a dickmove on the community.
SOE yes, Alaplaya though? If they have the right to adjust content...

- WHICH THEY MIGHT BASED ON THE FAQ: "Looking ahead, SOE and ProSiebenSat.1 Games will closely monitor the needs and wishes of local communities to bring special content as appropriate to European players." -

...then we may have a problem when Alaplaya is simply not content with the volume of cash coming out of the percentage they get off SOE for sales.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-02-22 at 06:45 PM.
Old 2012-02-22, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Dart
Second Lieutenant

What Figgy is saying, and until we know more he could well be right, is that depending on what Soe has agreed to, Pro7 could be able to change prices, item values or specs in the cash shop at will, solely for Eu players. If such a deal has been struck (there is no real way of knowing until the game is released and we can compare the products) then with their past history you could expect Pro7 to abuse that power to make as much money out of us as ossible, even while damaging the game!
Old 2012-02-22, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Raymac
Brigadier General

SOE yes, Alaplaya though? If they have the right to adjust content...

- WHICH THEY MIGHT BASED ON THE FAQ: "Looking ahead, SOE and ProSiebenSat.1 Games will closely monitor the needs and wishes of local communities to bring special content as appropriate to European players." -

...then we may have a problem when Alaplaya is simply not content with the volume of cash coming out of the percentage they get off SOE for sales.
That is a worrying part of this arrangement. However, I would hope that SOE would still be able to keep some control over their Intellectual Property. If Pro7 started doing things that damaged the name of Planetside and SOE, then it's reasonable to think that SOE would have the ability to take a course of action to correct that.

Old 2012-02-22, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Dude, you can't SERIOUSLY believe that because John Smedley said they'll talk to Pro7, that their plans will change and that everything will be alright.
Come on... It's Smed we're talking about!

The deal is concluded, the terms of their partnership are most probably sealed, it's not because Smed says "we're listening" that they will actually act.

Telling people you're listening to their complains is the lesson 1 in "Handling a crisis for Dummies".
Lesson 2 is about convincingly telling people you're fixing everything when you're not even planning on acting.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion