End Game: Pros and Cons - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: see what hapens when you try to rob me
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-12, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #151
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Re: End Game: Pros and Cons

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
No, If I want rounds I will play BF3. TF2. MW, etc. IF I want a persistent game I play PS2.
Persistence is PLANETSIDE with out it is becomes genericshootenumber42-XL

Short of them re-introducing continent lock and lattice linked conts i don't want any win conditions.

In the original game (werner)at proper pops (pre BFR's) only the NC and VS ever capped the whole planet(at prime time) and they did it once only. This in my book is a win.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #152
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
Persistence is PLANETSIDE with out it is becomes genericshootenumber42-XL

Short of them re-introducing continent lock and lattice linked conts i don't want any win conditions.

In the original game (werner)at proper pops (pre BFR's) only the NC and VS ever capped the whole planet(at prime time) and they did it once only. This in my book is a win.
VS got lucky. NC was all skill. Just for the record.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #153
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by FINALCUT View Post
VS got lucky. NC was all skill. Just for the record.
Of course

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #154
Flisher
Private

For people unaware of the rabbit chase concept, you must keep the rabbit "token" the lognest time possible for your faction.

Rabbit Chase by GOTR, in Febuary 2011 Sample:

Last edited by Flisher; 2012-06-12 at 07:26 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #155
cellinaire
Captain

Many "maybe you guys didn't thought of this before, so I will..."
"you guys aren't getting the idea so I'll explain for ya..."
"I think the options and ideas I suggest will be better than yours..."

kind of threads lately. Oh, PS is getting famous day by day, I'd say

@_@b
Old 2012-06-12, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #156
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gelnika View Post
There's been talk of a potential end-game in some other threads but it's all been pretty disparate so far. Let's do some definition of terms:

The 'end-game', as I see it, would be the end of recurrent 'cycles' of the game. The game would end at a specific time and the factions would be granted bonuses based on how much territory they control. A game could last for example a month or three months, the entirety of the efforts in the game's timeline is all leading up to the end of the game, and a rush to capture as many points as possible before the timer expires.

In my opinion, this would give players a greater sense of purpose, as there is a more concrete objective and a time in which to complete it by rather than a never-ending war.

Any takers?

Nope, because that isn't what PS2 is about. You fight to have as much as possible in the present moment for the benefit you get in the present moment and you fight to keep those benefits.

PS2 isn't some 1,2 or 3 month COD map. It is a fully dynamic game that is constantly shifting. For me putting in artificial milestones to give extra bonuses to an empire is stupid. It in effect puts in some "reset" into the system that PS2 specifically doesn't want. That or without a reset you have a situation where one empire may just continually climb higher and higher in their points forever winning the future milestones. Or if you don't track points through out the 3 month period you end up with one empire that might have been doing the best for 2 months 29 days but a surge from another empire in the last 2 days gives them the "win"

PS2 is NOT about end game. Every base you capture is an achievement. Every tower you take a reward. Every soldier you kill is an experience.
Old 2012-06-12, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #157
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
Instead of having these "tournaments" or "rounds" I think it'd be better if we had a monthly event where it's important to hold a certain base. Every month, there's a certain base that's "very important". And whoever holds this base at the end of the month, would get a special reward or bonus. This fight could last the entire month, or they could reveal the base a few days before. This could create a really, really huge and long-lasting battle at the end of each month.

Just my thoughts
So, ignore the base for 29 days then hit it hard on the last day. These types of ideas are not PS2.

Bases may have that "very important" just by the resources they provide or can be denied. You're asking for an additional milestone to be put in to make this some stupid month long COD map. Sorry to say your idea isn't very well fleshed out in the PS Universe.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #158
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

Shameless link below to the "Space Race" idea I wrote regarding collecting resources to launch your empire's space-ship prior to other empires to receive some minor gameplay benefits:

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=40539

Old 2012-06-13, 04:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #159
Kran De Loy
Captain

What other MMO's call end game is what PS2 calls anything after character creation screen.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-06-13 at 04:54 AM.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #160
Spoof
Corporal

Old 2012-06-13, 05:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #161
SgtMAD
Captain

Originally Posted by BREWKO View Post
I think I still have the Rabbit Event design docs, is that what you want?
yea, we don't need any rabbits,that was the old game.

thank god we will still have "ButtPope" in common.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #162
Madlaps
Corporal

Originally Posted by Spoof View Post
Why does a quarterly tournament or outfit "olympics" frighten people so much? Oh no, 2-3 outfit teams of 40 people are not on the map - it's gonna be ghost time.

Fact of the matter is, Planetside 2 brings many different types of players together - all the Planetside 1 guys (me included) are like "leave it the same" and then there is the other side. You can't cont lock in PS2, you can't sanc lock in PS2, you're not even going to be able to take 3/4 of the map because of the footholds - unless you vastly outpop the other factions or they're insanely retarded. There is nothing to aim for except grinding certs/resources and some non-existant notion of "winning" the continent that you lose an hour later because there is no cont or sanc locking.

You need to cater for "something to look forward to", even if it's only 4 times a year. It gives outfits a reason to train and strategize - as well as bragging rights for a faction and / or outfits. These days, eSports is growing and you simply need something to keep that crowd entertained. Doesn't mean half the population needs to be doing it at once, spread it over a week or even two weeks.

Run a community event for all those not interested, that gives some more resources to get people to log in.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #163
Caldazar
Private

So I've been hesitant to speak up on this thread for a couple of reasons. First, there are a lot of creative and intelligent ideas being tossed around here, I don't want to discourage that kind of exchange. The second, I have mixed feeling on the subject. Finally I don't want to chime in, sound pretentious and think my idea carries any more weight than any of yours.

But, the internet being what it is, WTH, why don't i contribute to the declination of modern society while hiding behind complete anonymity.

Planetside 2 end game, as someone so eloquently put it, is what you do after you make a character... You want a victory condition? Push both factions back to their footholds on three continents simultaneously, then hold them their. Guess what, you win.

Now with that being said, their are a few things I've seen here that I like the sound of.
-Outfit wars? Sure bring it back, let the game mature first though. Give it a year or so first, let the metagame play out and the outfits get their shit together.
-Rabbit chases, meh, not something I'd like to see.
-Reset timers? Possibly, I think it needs to be a quarterly reset at least. Winner would need to be determined by the total territory controlled over the length of the timer.

I really like the idea of a "king of the hill" type event. You could identify a base where the peons have discovered, created, or un-auraxised some new technology. That could be any item unlock, a new sight, barrel, grenade, tank transmission, a new flight vector thrust software for your galaxy, whatever. The idea is you identify a new discovery, pick a random base, factions fight over it, whoever hacks and controls the base for 2 hours gains exclusive access to that new unlock for a week or month. Small items like a weapon attachment could be a week, bigger items like new tank treads a month. After that time frame you can assume the opfor has had time to gather the technology off the fallen and reverse engineer it. This is also a great way to introduce new items into the game instead of just patching in 20 new items out of the ether.

Anyways just my 2cents, I'm going back under my bridge now...
Old 2012-06-13, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #164
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
What other MMO's call end game is what PS2 calls anything after character creation screen.
CC
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion