News: Massively Interviews Tramell "T-Ray" Isaac - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: open this end
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-01, 07:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Re: "Coloring inside the lines"

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
I actually took that screenshot yesterday running around reviewing an area on Indar... I ran up the stairs and it looked awesome so i snagged it - so yeah, that's definitely in game, in engine, and at playable frames per second.
Yeah Matt I gotta say I'm impressed by that SS. It's simply gorgeous! Fantastic lighting, lots of items of interest at multiple depth levels, well-framed on either side by the solar panels(?) on one side and the metal scaffolding on the other. And that Gauss model is pure sex... Thanks for providing me w/ my new wallpaper at work!

But I was looking at the 3 lights on the side of the Gauss and it got me thinking.... I would love it if the drawm model of the weapon you have in-hand had actual in-game meaning to the player and it was there for more than just decoration.... So I was thinking... Any chance we might be able to get working ammo counters integrated into the side of our weapons?

Rather than just having the ammo counter arbitrarily floating in some retangular toolbar on the screen, I think having it displayed on the sides of the actual weapon models themselves would really add to the immersion of the game experience since you'd have to actually look at your weapon to find out how much ammo is left.
Old 2011-10-01, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
EVILoHOMER
Major

Re: Massively Interviews Tramell "T-Ray" Isaac

Looks great!
Old 2011-10-01, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

That facility looks massive. It also appears that there are secondary and possibly tertiary structures around it (such as that antenna way up on the mountain in the background). It would really be cool if there were additional strategic targets involved in defending/attacking a base rather than just going right for the facility itself in PlanetSide 2, such as knocking out a radar antenna on a mountain like in the screenshot???
Old 2011-10-01, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Captain B
First Sergeant

They said somewhere (forgot where) that facilities will be more than simply taking a control console or rushing a generator. I think it was Higby that made mention that missions will play a part in that.

I don't know if he meant in some kind of facility-taking-specific way or simply using missions to better organize taking a facility, but it sounds cool either way.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-10-01, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Re: Joystiq interviews Tramell Isaac

Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I know the pic with the big "mothership" is just concept ...but you think those smaller fighter type craft might be some resemblance to the "dyson" ?
no dyson pics have been released.
Old 2011-10-01, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Baron
First Sergeant

T-Ray,

Darn, ok ...well thanks for not making me stew in my own uncertainty!
Old 2011-10-01, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
DaSwede
Contributor
Corporal

Those screen shots look fantastic!!
They give me the same excitement as the first time i flew in a Galaxy and airdropped on Forseral for the first time

Oh and Dyson add on, Root Cyclone Technology, makes you suck even more
Old 2011-10-03, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
MrGreenJeans
Private

Absolutely stunning! It’s becoming more and more apparent as to how both weather and atmospheric light cycles will affect overall game play. “Can’t Wait”
Old 2011-10-03, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Levente
First Sergeant

looks miles ahead better then frostbite 2 imo. just look at the the massive scale. no fake backdrop images. LOVE IT
Old 2011-10-03, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Raymac
Brigadier General

When I was looking at my new Indar sunset wallpaper this weekend, I couldn't help but think that there is going to be no way the game can look this good and not lag to hell. I mean in 2003, I did my very first computer part upgrade specifically for Planetside, and I still turned every single video option to the bare minimum to scrape together every single frame per second I could. I even turned off the awesome music just to get a 1-2 fps increase.

I have faith that the devs want to make sure the game runs smooth and all, but it really is hard for me to wrap my head around PS2 looking that good but still having the smoothness that shooter players demand. That honestly is my only concern about the game at this point. The little stuff can get worked out, but lag would be a major problem. I'm excited to see just how well this game runs. (I'm already planning my budget to get the best GPU I can when PS2 is released)

Last edited by Raymac; 2011-10-03 at 03:31 PM.
Old 2011-10-03, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

I'm a bit curious how long an Auraxian Day will be. 24 hours (synchronized with the local day/night cycle)? 4 hours (so "prime time" can encompass a single day/night cycle)? 8? 30 minutes? 1 week (Night time monday through wednesday)? 2 days (every day of the week would alternate between day and night each week)?

I kinda like "4 hours" and "2 days" myself. Both give everyone a chance to experience day and night... it's just a matter of how long each one lasts.

Gonna tweet it, see if I can get an answer.
Old 2011-10-03, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
I kinda like "4 hours" and "2 days" myself. Both give everyone a chance to experience day and night... it's just a matter of how long each one lasts.
Video games usually tend towards shorter than real life day/night cycles, so I would be a little surprised if they made it 2 days. It could also get tiring fighting in dark night time environments all the time if you happened to play every other day for a few days.

I have always disliked the 24 or 48 minute days of games like The Elder Scrolls or Grand Theft Auto just because I feel like it's a little too sudden, but I think a 4 hour cycle would be pretty perfect. Just enough time to get a lot done during the daylight or in the cover of night, but you would still have good odds of seeing a lot of diversity of time of day.

Maybe they could even offset it a little, like making it be 4 hours 15 minutes so that it wasn't always the same time of day in game at the same time of day in real life.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2011-10-03 at 03:24 PM.
Old 2011-10-03, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I clearly needs to be hours, minutes just wont feel right, and dusk/dawn fighting is also pretty epic.
How long exactly? Well, dunno, lets see how it feels during beta, and then decide. Depens a lot how dark the night really is, and how combat plays during the night.
Old 2011-10-03, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I'm excited to see just how well this game runs. (I'm already planning my budget to get the best GPU I can when PS2 is released)
First off, I think you're underestimating the raw power of modern GPUs. What we're seeing in screenshots clearly won't be representative of the play experience on the lower end of the system reqs, but it's well within the capabilities (with a good engine) of something like a GeForce 580, I'd estimate.

However, the reason I cut out this part of your post is, be careful you don't go overboard with a brand-spankin' new, bleeding edge video card and pair it with an aging CPU. Recent game engines work the CPU a lot harder than ones, say, 10 years ago did.
Old 2011-10-03, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
Gonna tweet it, see if I can get an answer.
mstorer3772 Mark Storer
@PS_TRay @mhigby @planetside2 How long will the day/night cycle be? I hope its picked so every time slot/day will get both. #planetside2

PS_TRay T Ray
@mstorer3772 undecided right now
Ah well... it was worth a try.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion