Planetside 2 and MLG: an e-sports Future? the mittani - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Lets go, the enemy wont know!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-03-18, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

Planetside 2 and MLG: an e-sports Future? the mittani

i read this very interesting article on the mittani and wanted to share it here

http://themittani.com/features/plane...esports-future
Old 2013-03-18, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Assist
Contributor
Major

Re: Planetside 2 and MLG: an e-sports Future? the mittani

I wonder if that 48v48 is a set number.

They had stated before that there would be multiple ladders based on outfit size, wondering if that got tossed already?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-03-18, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
I wonder if that 48v48 is a set number.

They had stated before that there would be multiple ladders based on outfit size, wondering if that got tossed already?
Nope, not tossed. The multiple ladders are so that smaller outfits aren't competing with mega outfits for qualification, but with other outfits with similar manpower. Once qualified the outfits, no matter the size, will send platoon sized force for the battles to keep things even. This is just a first phase. Ps2 is capable of doing 12 v 12 or 250 vs 250 and exploring how we can make those and everything in between work is something we will do at some point. For now were concentratingon getting one size "match" working well. Platoon size felt like the right balance.
Old 2013-03-18, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Nope, not tossed. The multiple ladders are so that smaller outfits aren't competing with mega outfits for qualification, but with other outfits with similar manpower. Once qualified the outfits, no matter the size, will send platoon sized force for the battles to keep things even. This is just a first phase. Ps2 is capable of doing 12 v 12 or 250 vs 250 and exploring how we can make those and everything in between work is something we will do at some point. For now were concentratingon getting one size "match" working well. Platoon size felt like the right balance.
12v12 is wheres its at Higby.
Old 2013-03-18, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hamma
PSU Admin

Thanks Higby!

Some interesting ideas on that article as well regarding the Observer Cam.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-18, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Platoon sized? still a bit big. Even if its not the "main event," I would like to see 12v12 still supported in ladders.

Last edited by Rahabib; 2013-03-18 at 02:00 PM.
Old 2013-03-18, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea 48v48 platoon sized will definitely rule out lots of outfits, mine included.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-18, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I've been wondering about how it would be possible to have teams be physically present at MLG events... And I cannot believe that I did not think about just having the leaders represent the outfits Makes perfect sense.

So Higby, am I right in thinking that you will allow for smaller outfits to band together in order to field a full platoon?

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-03-18 at 02:07 PM.
Old 2013-03-18, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
I've been wondering about how it would be possible to have teams be physically present at MLG events... And I cannot believe that I did not think about just having the leaders represent the outfits Makes perfect sense.

So Higby, am I right in thinking that you will allow for smaller outfits to band together in order to field a full platoon?
If you do that, might as well make a zerg outfit so you can actually compete. Banding together would just screw up the qualification criteria. Seems to me, 48v48 is the minimum for now.
Old 2013-03-18, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post

I hope not.

But i can see where Higby is going with this.

The Esports domain of FPS is already filled.

COD / CS:GO / HALO / GoW

I presume Higby is looking to offer something new to that domain. And its where BF3 Failed. And spending big bucks with MLG was the only way todo it.
Old 2013-03-18, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
kidriot
Sergeant Major

First off thanks for posting a link to my article! I was coming here to do just that.

48 vs 48 really is the perfect size to showcase everything Planetside 2 has to offer. It would involve a higher level of coordination on the part of platoon and squad leaders, showcase the various vehicles and their uses and still have those intense infantry battles we all enjoy being a part of.

My outfit doesn't have 48 people but we've been in contact with other outfits to fill out the roster. My suggestion is that if you want to compete in MLG form alliances with similarly minded outfits and start working together. You want your play to be seamless as possible when it comes time to compete.
Old 2013-03-18, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Rahabib View Post
If you do that, might as well make a zerg outfit so you can actually compete. Banding together would just screw up the qualification criteria. Seems to me, 48v48 is the minimum for now.
Fair enough. I just don't much like the idea of indirectly "forcing" the smaller outfits to either combine into bigger ones or create new "zerg" outfits so they can compete. Alliances would allow for smaller outfits to compete, but I see your point about the qualification and how that would work with alliances. (Unless they allow smaller outfits to form an alliance that would function like a single outfit, when it comes to qualifying.)
I guess the smaller outfits might just have to wait until they make a new bracket that allows for smaller outfits.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-03-18 at 02:53 PM.
Old 2013-03-18, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Chewy
Major

Im thinking that 48v48 may be to small in the long run. This is Planetside and 96 people is nothing of what I seen in a common ops night for us and our enemies. I want the cluster fuck of 192v192v192 (4 platoons for each faction) made with outfits working together over a set objective.

Now that would be a PS2 fight. It would be a bitch to get that many people, but would be worth it.
Old 2013-03-18, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Im thinking that 48v48 may be to small in the long run. This is Planetside and 96 people is nothing of what I seen in a common ops night for us and our enemies. I want the cluster fuck of 192v192v192 (4 platoons for each faction) made with outfits working together over a set objective.

Now that would be a PS2 fight. It would be a bitch to get that many people, but would be worth it.
Every armchair general just came.
Old 2013-03-18, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bear
Corporal

I'll preface this by saying I've been EXTREMELY supporting of SOE and they work they've done on this game but they're going backwards right now. Instead of racing to release new stuff to buy every week or MLG, I'd prefer they work on the current performance issues and glitches. The servers were absolutely terrible last night. Reavers glitching across the sky, terminals not flipping. There are bigger issues that need addressing that should be fixed before rushing towards MLG.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion