PS2 needs dynamic XP gain. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Admin Powers: the Admin that shagged me
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-12-17, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: PS2 needs dynamic XP gain.

Originally Posted by CaptainP View Post
Do you honestly believe that if they just reduced xp for freshly spawned infantry, vehicles would stop campig the spawn?
Stop? No. Make that big fat Sunderer xp pinata a more attractive target than those new spawners? Hell yes.

Or in other words, it would shift player priorities.
Old 2012-12-17, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Brutal Magikarp
Private

Would really like to see the exp system changed to ANYTHING but the way it is...
Old 2012-12-17, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Crator
Major General

Yes, this would be nice. And zeroing out the XP of a newly spawned player, if killed, should exist.
Old 2012-12-17, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
moosepoop
Captain

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Stop? No. Make that big fat Sunderer xp pinata a more attractive target than those new spawners? Hell yes.

Or in other words, it would shift player priorities.
i like the idea of a spawn camp xp penalty.
Old 2012-12-18, 03:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Elgareth
Private

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Yes, this would be nice. And zeroing out the XP of a newly spawned player, if killed, should exist.
I kind of agree, as long as the No-XP-Timer is very short (5-10 Seconds max...enough to hide somewhere, but not more)...
I don't think it'd be fun to defend a base where attackers rush to the front door from a sunderer parked directly behind a wall/building, and you don't get any XP for killing them off because they just spawned...it's not like you could just let them go on for they want to take your base...and it's not like they'd let you live long enough to get to the sunderer itself.

Mmhm... maybe only add the Zero-XP-Timer for Defending People? Meaning, only if the Zone you currently are in belongs to your faction?
Old 2012-12-18, 05:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by Elgareth View Post
I kind of agree, as long as the No-XP-Timer is very short (5-10 Seconds max...enough to hide somewhere, but not more)...
I don't think it'd be fun to defend a base where attackers rush to the front door from a sunderer parked directly behind a wall/building, and you don't get any XP for killing them off because they just spawned...it's not like you could just let them go on for they want to take your base...and it's not like they'd let you live long enough to get to the sunderer itself.

Mmhm... maybe only add the Zero-XP-Timer for Defending People? Meaning, only if the Zone you currently are in belongs to your faction?
See the reason people bring up "Like in PS1" all the time is that there was a lot in that game that worked, and it was worked out over a few years. This is what is frustrating the vets here. YES there were broken things in PS1 (like single manned aircraft being too powerful...doh) we don't want to bring up those things. People did years ago when PS2 was announced, there were DON"T DO THIS or DON"T DO THAT or PS1's biggest mistakes threads were popping up 2-3 times a day. What we have here is things that DID work in PS1, things we've been worried wouldn't work in PS2... tested in Beta and found they don't work. There are a number of areas PS2 is trying to re-invent the wheel and they are starting with big square blocks of stone when there are already formed working wheels right back over there called PS1.
So... go that out.
In PS1 it did go up fast and I don't know for sure but it jumped if you took certain actions and slowed down pretty fast. Kind of a logarithmic curve. Everyone started worth like 1XP after a few seconds you were worth like 5xp. You knew if you were defending a base and killing people for 60xp they weren't far away. I'm not 100% sure but I think getting a kill or two gave your worth jumps, but it wasn't THAT big and I think it maxed out after a while and was never all that terribly high for a softie. Vehicles were on a similar scale but started much higher, and more crew/passengers really ramped it up.

Originally Posted by moosepoop View Post
i like the idea of a spawn camp xp penalty.
No, not penalties... just less/no incentive. XP incentives to do things that will make the game fun for everyone, less or no XP for many other activities.
Old 2012-12-18, 05:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
SwiftRanger
Private

Good ideas.

It won't solve the current problem of rocket pod ESFs/Libs and tank pilots being XP hoarders though. There is a huge discrepancy between those roles gaining XP (which happens very fast, you don't need to be skilled for it either) and infantry gaining XP (rather very slow if you're not in a support role). If you want to go for fast certs you shouldn't be on foot, loads of folks rightfully got a problem with that.

Base and map design are big culprits, spawns aren't protected enough and interior base designs aren't deep (you can say almost literally) enough.

If that's too difficult to implement quickly then infantry power vs vehicles/aircraft could use a buff (or an increased XP gain). The infantry combat isn't much cop now and will only get worse as people drop off because they didn't expect a World of Tanks / World of Airplanes clone.

I might be exaggerating here but I've seen too many easy kills already. You might say people should watch out/stop spawning at a certain spot but with the current UI "clarity" that message will never get across.
Old 2012-12-18, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Elgareth
Private

Originally Posted by SwiftRanger View Post
It won't solve the current problem of rocket pod ESFs/Libs and tank pilots being XP hoarders though. There is a huge discrepancy between those roles gaining XP (which happens very fast, you don't need to be skilled for it either) and infantry gaining XP (rather very slow if you're not in a support role). If you want to go for fast certs you shouldn't be on foot, loads of folks rightfully got a problem with that.
And why do those roles gain XP that fast? Because they spawn camp, or reap sunderer spawns while taking care NOT to kill the Sundy itself.
And those prime-XP-gainers could be made MUCH less desireable by reducing spawn-camp-XP to almost Zero. Thus, less spawn camping, thus, more actual infantry fights (because you know... Defenders can actually defend, and don't get 1-shottet the second they leave the Spawnroom), more XP through Infantry-fighting
Old 2012-12-18, 07:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Sounds good, I see no downside of this. Why is this not in the game yet?
Old 2012-12-18, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
cooonips
Private

+1 to using a system like this over the current one

in a way, the more complex the system for xp gain the better. the harder it is to understand, the harder it is to learn the best ways to gain xp and focus on doing that.
Old 2012-12-18, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
See the reason people bring up "Like in PS1" all the time is that there was a lot in that game that worked, and it was worked out over a few years. This is what is frustrating the vets here.

/snip

What we have here is things that DID work in PS1, things we've been worried wouldn't work in PS2... tested in Beta and found they don't work. There are a number of areas PS2 is trying to re-invent the wheel and they are starting with big square blocks of stone when there are already formed working wheels right back over there called PS1.
All of this.
Old 2012-12-18, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Not enough debate in this thread! People need to start arguing more or I'm going to have to resort to bumping!

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-12-19, 06:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Qwan
Captain

Maybe players shouldnt spawn at a base that is surrounded by tanks and infantry and air, I mean its not like they get xp for defending.

Last edited by Qwan; 2012-12-19 at 06:11 AM.
Old 2012-12-19, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
velleity
Corporal

Introducing dynamic xp for kills without introducing xp scaling for low pop defenders is flawed and amounts to a nerf to defenders. Playing on a server with huge opposition zergs with an empire that gets as low as 26%, I get a 4% xp bonus and jack for playing outnumbered by 2 + to 1 on most continents other then raw kills.
Old 2012-12-19, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
velleity
Corporal

bleh back button

Last edited by velleity; 2012-12-19 at 08:59 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion