Static Mini-Map/Compass vs Rotating - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Is that a Decimator or are you just happy to see me?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-20, 07:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
EisenKreutzer
Sergeant Major

Re: Static Mini-Map/Compass vs Rotating

I'd love a static mini-map.
Old 2012-07-20, 07:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Stardouser
Colonel

I have been thinking this every time I see video of the game, definitely need a lock-minimap option.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing an option for a larger compass across the top or bottom of the screen than a small one on top of the minimap. I think tanks actually get a second compass across the top of their HUD...

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-07-20 at 07:10 AM.
Old 2012-07-20, 07:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Klockan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Firearms View Post
Needs to be an option.

Static for men, marines and scouts.
Orientation for girls.
Stand in the map for Joey from friends.

EDIT: Oh, to clarify my points

Men, marines and scouts don't turn a map upside down to navigate. Girls do. Joey stands in the map. kthxbai.
Haha, you are so right, I didn't think of that before but women like to turn the maps around like it was a jigzaw piece.

Originally Posted by Kyros View Post
I prefer rotating maps as they allow you to orient yourself faster in regards to the enemies marked on it. It might take a second or two more to orient yourself with the land but I find knowing where your enemy is in relation to yourself be more important.
Are you a female??? Jokes aside, I prefer static maps since then it is easier to align with the terrain as you said. I think that due to this it is also easier to see where enemies are with a fixed map since then you see exactly where in the terrain they are, like if they are hiding behind the rock in front of you or in the house to the left etc. So it isn't really slower as long as you are aware about what the map shows, you just need to utilize the landmarks available to you instead of only orienting from yourself.

Last edited by Klockan; 2012-07-20 at 07:26 AM.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Trip
Corporal

static is great but it also great to have options.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Azarga
Corporal

Static, pretty please.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Alan Rickman
Private

I can work with either, but when I'm in vehicles I prefer a static, I don't know why I just do. When I'm not in a vehicle I can use either. But the idea to have an option I think would be good, as everyone has their own personal preference.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Kran De Loy
Captain

Option for both.

Also I'll point out that I seriously doubt they'd overlook this and make the rotation minimap the only option even if no one mentioned it ever.

Anyway I'm for static minimaps because I use maps for the landmarkers and keeping track of/finding allies.
I sweep and clear for enemies.
Old 2012-07-20, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by IceJudge View Post
I've been looking through PlanetSide 2 videos and I haven't found anything indicating an option to select a stationary mini-map opposed to the rotating mini-map/radar. Personally, I prefer static, especially in games that require communication as it is easier to reference directions for me instead of having to constantly figure out which way the map is oriented by checking the scrolling compass similar to that in Oblivion/Skyrim/Call of Duty.

Anyone heard anything from SoE regarding an option to switch between the two and what are you guys' thoughts/preferences regarding the two?
The Devs confirmed back in March that there will be options for static/rotating minimaps as well as a bar or circumflexing compass.

From this Dev Q&A:

Can we get an option to use PS1's circumflexing compass rose on the minimap instead of the compass bar we've seen?
-There will be toggles for these and also ones for making the radar background spin or stay still similarly to how we currently have in PS1.
Old 2012-07-20, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

I like rotating... I know which way I'm facing... I made myself face that way!

Rotating map is better for identifying targets in relation to you.

I know where I am... I have no issue with that... it's where the markers are in relation to me that's more important.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion