Time Zones - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Resistance = ban
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-12-06, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
CutterJohn
Colonel

Time Zones

Rather than a 2 hour night cycle, lets utilize the fact that combat is occuring on a planet. Adjust the sunrise and sunset times for each continent individually, and have a far longer day/night cycle, like 13 hours, or 23 hours.

Note that I suggest the Auraxian day be an odd figure so that the cycle constantly changes, and people aren't stuck fighting on the same continents at the same time.

Edit: Post made in reference to Higby talking about day/night cycles here.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-12-06 at 06:00 PM.
Old 2011-12-06, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: Time Zones

A two-hour day/night is far too short and this solves the problem perfectly. If the times for night and day are different on each continent, players who play at the same time every day will have the opportunity to experience both even if the cycles are longer because they won't always be fighting on the same continent.

If the days are longer, night can set in more realistically, i.e. at a gradual pace rather than over the course of a few minutes.

Furthermore, it would be great if every night it got progressively darker until a certain point in time, then it would get progressively lighter. The darkest part of every night would be "borderline night vision" dark. But every once in a while, there would be a very dark night. That way, those very dark nights wouldn't be as rare as say a dust storm in PS, but they wouldn't get old either.
Old 2011-12-06, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

It should be different on each continent too. If its nighttime on Forseral, its dawn on Oshur, and evening on Amerish, so no matter what, you can fight in the day. I would also recommend having two suns, for a realistic reason why day is longer than night (I assume people would rather fight in the traditional daylight.
Old 2011-12-06, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
CutterJohn
Colonel

Heh. Nevermind. They are doing it(the time zones part, not the long cycles..)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/commen...ll_ive/c35wr89
Old 2011-12-06, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I'm still hoping for something like 5 hour day cycles.

I'm glad they confirmed the time zone thing. It only makes sense since they have a dynamic time of day system, but confirmation is always nice.
Old 2011-12-07, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

The duration of the night cycle still isn't finalized. But what ever it is I just hope I see the day/night change over in my 4 hour window I'll have every day.

If someone can only play a couple hours every few days, it would REALLY suck if they had to play in night or day the whole time every time.
Old 2011-12-08, 12:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Lonehunter187 View Post
The duration of the night cycle still isn't finalized. But what ever it is I just hope I see the day/night change over in my 4 hour window I'll have every day.

If someone can only play a couple hours every few days, it would REALLY suck if they had to play in night or day the whole time every time.
Yes. However long the cycle is, from 50 minutes to 47 hours, it should definitely be out of synch with our real world day cycle. This is a must.
Old 2012-01-06, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Atuday
Master Sergeant

I love this idea. Later on down the road you could end up with seasons depending on what hemisphere you are in. The northern and southern most places would be ice and the ones at the equator would be humid swamps or desert wastes. This could easily be reflected in how the day/night cycles change. You could even make it based on the real world seasons of the server locations. This also goes well with weather patterns that they seem to be working on.

All that said I do hope the cycle is much longer than 2 hours and is an odd number so night and day changes based on date and location.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault