Gameplay: Binoculars - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Gal Dropping Just Got Easier
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-10-08, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Graywolves
General

Binoculars

I saw a guy with binoculars in the concept art and it made me think of this.

Perhaps for a leadership skill you could unlock binoculars and mark targets, like in BFBC2, and everyone would know where they are, or atleast they'd appear on the map and/or radar.

Could also be a light assualt skill, which would be very effective with the jumppack but it makes more sense to me under the leadership tree and the leader could still use light assualt.

Since we don't know how equipment/inventory works quite yet I was thinking it could replace a knife or pistol. Or just show up in an extra slot.
Old 2011-10-08, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Binoculars

I want squad leaders to have a context sensitive orders key; so they aim at an area/target/friendly and select move to/attack/defend.

Now this gets clever if you have multiple options on something, so if you aim it at a locked doorway you could either order your troops to hack it stealthily, or breach it with explosives....

Regarding binoculars themselves they could be used to direct these orders at even further ranges, or spot targets for players to fly in air strikes or aim artillery.
Old 2011-10-08, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
akiadan
Private

binoculars should replace the normal zoom if you dont have a weapon out or your weapon doesnt have a scope you just pull out your binoculars and lower your weapon so its not a scope for your scopeless weapon. I think it should be everyone can have them but need leadership skills to do things like mark targets and stuff. Other then that I like the idea of binoculars instead of implanted x2 for everything but a boomer stick.
Old 2011-10-09, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I think the player marking would be a great cloaker/recon tool.
Old 2011-10-09, 02:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Xyntech
Brigadier General

That would actually be pretty cool. Everyone could have binoculars for when they want to zoom in on a distant location, but certain skill trees would give the binoculars more options than just seeing things up close.

Not quite as futuristic seeming as just being able to instantly zoom in, but I never quite understood what was supposed to be happening when you zoomed in with PS1. Was it a mechanical eye thing? Was it a zoomed image being displayed on your visor?

I don't think a pair of binoculars would seem too out of place. We have scopes on sniper rifles after all. Just make it standard equipment like the knife.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2011-10-09 at 02:10 AM.
Old 2011-10-09, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
That would actually be pretty cool. Everyone could have binoculars for when they want to zoom in on a distant location, but certain skill trees would give the binoculars more options than just seeing things up close.

Not quite as futuristic seeming as just being able to instantly zoom in, but I never quite understood what was supposed to be happening when you zoomed in with PS1. Was it a mechanical eye thing? Was it a zoomed image being displayed on your visor?

I don't think a pair of binoculars would seem too out of place. We have scopes on sniper rifles after all. Just make it standard equipment like the knife.
In PS1 it was the implant. Eye implant that let you do this after the machine was through with you.
Old 2011-10-10, 12:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I guess that means that the default player zoom is a pseudo implant that you spawn with. Just seems kind of odd since there doesn't seem to be any other implant like abilities that you spawn with.
Old 2011-10-16, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Tapman
Staff Sergeant

In Planetside we had the extended zoom, advanced targeting, and darklight. Throw in nightvision, thermal and infrared. Add waypoint marking capabilities for locations, enemies, and friendlies for commanders integrated with the mission system so that upper commanders can have live information streamed to whatever interface they use. Don't forget to include the ability to read distance, speed of target, compass, and maybe angle above or below horizontal? Snipers/spotters could get a feature down the line that can scan the field of vision for potential wind markers like tall grass, trees, etc. and make an estimation of wind direction and speed with the % accuracy of the reading.
Old 2011-10-20, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I guess that means that the default player zoom is a pseudo implant that you spawn with. Just seems kind of odd since there doesn't seem to be any other implant like abilities that you spawn with.
You didn't fall over screaming when shot, and could run for hours in heavy equipment.

Pretty sure they just said screw it, everyone should have binocs, because thats pretty low tech stuff(I swear if we have to unlock or buy standard scopes or reflex sights...), but why bother with another equipment slot for such basic functionality.
Old 2012-10-31, 06:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
VonLipwig
Private

I was going to make a thread for this but then the autmatic 'related topics' thing (which is really cool and handy!) brought up this topic so I figured I'd post in here.

Here's a repost of my topic on the official forums:

OK guys, quick question: are binoculars in the game in any way? If not, then heres a quick request: please put binoculars in the game!

Here's the why:

At the moment, the ability to recon a base before you go in is kind of limited. You need to have a scope on your gun in order to get a closer look at a base from some distance, and that will sometimes kind of **** you when you move into close quarters. I certainly prefer iron sights in most situations.

With the outfit I'm in, we wanted to do some preliminary recon in order to figure out the best approach (as opposed to, you know, mindlessly rushing the cap point and get utterly destroyed because of a lack of pre-planned approach) but we couldn't really get good eyes on due to a lack of optics in the squad. As I said before, getting scopes on your guns seems like a bit of a roundabout way if you could so easily make binoculars available.

For those of you who think having binoculars would be SOMEHOW unbalanced (though I would struggle to fathom how on earth that would be the case), make it so that they:

A: take up the utility slot. IE, no C4 and the like if you're carrying binoculars.
B: cost certs. Say, about 12 certs in leadership to unlock the binoculars?
C: make you unable to shoot your gun while using them.... which really goes without saying.

Binoculars could be further certed into, for instance with:

A: night vision.
B: a range finder.
C: infra-red.

Also, perhaps make it so that enemies spotted with binoculars remain spotted for, say, 1 or 2 seconds longer than people spotted from normal view? This would make the spotter's role more important as, for instance, FACs (forward air controllers, ie people who coordinate airstrikes) or a sniper spotter in a sniper team. Or just as a recon unit for when an outfit is attacking or defending a base.

I think adding binoculars would improve teamwork options and that they would become a very important asset for squads and outfits.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...oculars.38558/

So yeah, as I stated there: being able to certify into binoculars and improvements upon the binoculars, such as IR, NV and rangefinder, would be pretty cool, especially for organised outfits.

In addition, improving spotting abilities (making the spotted target visible over a longer period of time) might make the binoculars a desirable item to carry around.
Old 2012-10-31, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Dagron
Captain

Interesting idea, it would be a good addition to any class' skill set, particularly for the infiltrators with the best cloak who can only wield sidearms. I'd like to be able to see in the distance to help my team coordinate, even when i'm not carrying a sniper rifle. But of course i'd like to see it equipable by anyone.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-10-31 at 03:30 PM.
Old 2012-11-04, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
HooD
Private

This is an amazing Idea! And I defiantly like it being part of the leadership tree.
In terms of what it could do:

- You could hold Q to set a waypoint.
- Make an enemy mark ping/flash to maybe select targets for focus fire or single out the anti air tanks in a group of 20, or that one guy that is sniping all your troops annoying you.
- Compass Points to show what way you are facing (kinda simple but useful)

Certs could include:
- Range finder and Speed Finder to work out ETA of enemy units if you are scouting.
- Night Vision
- Adjustable Zoom

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault