Gameplay: (POLL) Win Condition - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nice flying ass hat
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

View Poll Results: If it could be balanced well, would you like having a win condition for planetside 2?
Yes. I wan't an over-arching goal for empire progression. 9 21.43%
No. I like the ever-changing landscape and constant territory changes. 33 78.57%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-04-23, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
cryosin
Master Sergeant

Lightbulb (POLL) Win Condition

***Please read the post before answering the poll*****

I always wondered what the player base thought about an empire actually "winning" the game.

Assuming there was a balanced way of allowing an empire to finally take over and win the world, would you want it?

One of the things i really disliked about planetside 1, was the fact that taking over a continent had no lasting effect. You would login, where your empire has 5-6 continents taken over and you just took over the 8th. The next day, you login and only control 2-3 continents.

Why?

Someone, or a group of people, back hacked and took over a bunch of bases overnight. Everyone was off line and nobody was there to prevent it.

Here's my idea, if anyone is interested in this type of thing:

I have no idea how fast continents can be captured in planetside 2, but the idea is that you would be able to capture a continent and prevent it from being hacked for a short while. It would allow your army to engage and take over a second continent more easily.

There are three empires in the game specifically to prevent one empire from dominating. So one empire would still need to dominate two empires. It should still be very hard to do this.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, right?

So the game would still be balanced, it would just have an over-arching incentive. A very difficult, yet feasible incentive.

Now the big question...

So what happens AFTER an empire takes over the world?

****This is my own, balanced(?) idea. This has nothing to do with the poll itself.***

There would be a short 10-20 minute break, where everyone in the world knows an empire took over. All players in that empire would be rewarded extra XP based on how much they participated.
So, lets say Vanu owns 1 out of 4 continents when you login. Eventually Vanu took over the world, in the course of a few days or whatever it might be. You fought as Vanu on 2/4 of those continents, so you would get a nice big XP boost.

This would prevent player from joining the eventual take-over and getting a large sum of XP. You would have to be a participant from the beginning to get full XP. Other empires get other bonuses too such as "last defense" if you where the final hex/base to get taken, so its best to stay in the fight.

After all of this, the world would simply be reset to original positions(aka launch day) and the battle continues.

I personally feel it would be very challenging to accomplish this, and it might not happen ever or for a very long time. But simply having this as a possibility gives the game a nice over-arching goal to all the players.

There could also be a side-game, such as suggested in this thread:

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=40539

I would personally enjoy a straight on "win", but this is also a neat idea.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by cryosin; 2012-04-23 at 07:01 PM.
Old 2012-04-23, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: (POLL) Win Condition

Win condition does not mean that there is no ever-changing landscape and constant territory changes.
Old 2012-04-23, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
cryosin
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Win condition does not mean that there is no ever-changing landscape and constant territory changes.
LOL true.

I probably worded that a little bit badly. The idea is its ALWAYS changing. No 1 empire can control the world.

You can always hack any base at any time and there is no actual way to control the world. Even if you take over every continent, someone can easily back hack and end it fairly quickly.
Old 2012-04-23, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Toppopia
Major

That "Space Race" idea is awesome, now we need more of those types of events and added into the game.
Old 2012-04-23, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sirisian
Colonel

Unless you're playing the game 8+ hours a day and actually capture a whole continent there's really no incentive to be rewarded or rewarding a faction for such an event. Personally I don't see the attraction to such an award. If anything it'll just hurt people who play casually and want to fight on a continent only to find it's in some unhackable state.
Old 2012-04-23, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Artimus
Master Sergeant

I would like a win condition, but if 1 empire were kicked out of the game it could take months to years until the other 2 finish.. It would have to allow the 1 empire another chance hence uncapturable footholds which personally I think is a bad way of aproaching it but hey maybe the beta will prove otherwise.
Old 2012-04-23, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xaine
Major

A long time PS1 player here.

I'd really like a win condition, just to keep score if nothing else.

While fighting for the fun of it is great, and i love it - i'd rather have a 'goal' to fight for as well.
Old 2012-04-23, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
I would like a win condition, but if 1 empire were kicked out of the game it could take months to years until the other 2 finish.. It would have to allow the 1 empire another chance hence uncapturable footholds which personally I think is a bad way of aproaching it but hey maybe the beta will prove otherwise.
In "Endwar" if a nation lost all of its territories each turn players of that nation always attacked their old captial (Russia attacked Moscow, Europe attacked Paris and USA attacked Washington DC) but that almost doesn't make sense in this style of game because "Endwar" is a RTS so where would the eliminated factions spawn from? Maybe appear in vehicles off the side of the map somewhere that isn't accessible from the outside.
Old 2012-04-23, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
A long time PS1 player here.

I'd really like a win condition, just to keep score if nothing else.

While fighting for the fun of it is great, and i love it - i'd rather have a 'goal' to fight for as well.
Could not agree more. Please give me a long term goal like a bonus for owning all the hexs on one continent and keeping the other 2 factions at bay.
Old 2012-04-23, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
In "Endwar" if a nation lost all of its territories each turn players of that nation always attacked their old captial (Russia attacked Moscow, Europe attacked Paris and USA attacked Washington DC) but that almost doesn't make sense in this style of game because "Endwar" is a RTS so where would the eliminated factions spawn from? Maybe appear in vehicles off the side of the map somewhere that isn't accessible from the outside.
I see what your saying never played Endwar but like you said its an rts. Maybe if you have a "home territory" if you lose that you keep respawning somewhere until you retake it from whatver faction took it over then you can start to retake terriorty.
Old 2012-04-23, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Toppopia
Major

When i was typing that idea, i thought about the 'dead' faction spawning at the base they just lost but then you could have like 10 people camp at the spawn room and kill anyone that tried to capture the base back, unless that area is not accessible to the owners of the base to give the 'dead' faction a chance to fight back.
Old 2012-04-23, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
cryosin
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
Well two things would happen to alleviate this problem:

1) Eventually a continent would unlock. It would not take 2 years to unlock a continent taken over. If the dominating empire is trying to take over their final continent, it would be difficult to fight on two fronts and take over both. If they do, then they deserve their "win".

2) As one empire is dominating, the other two empires would want to ally and beat up the winner.

3) Footholds allow for all factions to spawn on the unlocked continent. There is always going to be at least one Continent unlocked, and your empire's foothold would give you a way of pushing out.

It will be difficult for that final continent to be taken over. One empire would have to dominate two other empires and capture all hexes before another continent becomes unlocked. If that empire can do that and secure all the continents, they deserve the win.

The real "balance" would occur based on how long a continent should be locked upon capture. That i cannot judge until beta.

And lastly, there can always be the side game, posted here:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=40539

That would bypass the "downtime" during which one empire is dominating. Again, i would rather have a "Domination" type win condition, but even something along those lines is good enough for me to fight for.
Old 2012-04-23, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Machine
Corporal

I like the space race idea and would love to see alot of ideas rotate in and out. space race, city construction followed by city rule, city goes volcanic and cyles over to airships race... etc
Old 2012-04-23, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Yes but I am infering morely I guess if 2 factions truesed to kick 1 out of the game (or at least to there uncap.terr.) Those 2 factions would basically be even in territory giving a prolonged period of time until the third gets a foothold.
Old 2012-04-23, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Noivad
Master Sergeant

No No No - If you want to play a game with a win or end to it go back to BF3 or some other lame FPS game. In PS 1 it was possible to win all the conts / planets. In PS2 the TR are going to push you NC and VS kazooes all the way back to your starting point. We will dominiate you. You will be stuck in your safe zones, and will not be able to break out. You will know loss. You will know defeat. You will know that the TR beat you. Not on one map but every map SOE makes for the game. Just like we beat you in PS1.

Because, TR are organized, we are a military machine, we will overcome, adapt, improvise, and drive you rebels and geeks to defeat, rubbing you noses in it. TR for life, houuuugh.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault