New pic of TR Prowler - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Ive lost my mojo
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-19, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Knocky
Major

Re: New pic of TR Prowler

Originally Posted by cellinaire View Post
That bridge....sweet
Lets hope there are not dirt roads leading up to those massive bridges this time.
Old 2012-04-19, 04:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Ainte
Private

i dont like forward wheels, its like this tank got no suspension at all...
Old 2012-04-19, 04:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

It looks good, pity some people hate asymmetrical items.
Old 2012-04-19, 05:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Fenrod
Sergeant

Misc Info

Wow, that bridge will be an awesome place to prepare airstrikes against infantry and vehicles.
Old 2012-04-19, 06:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
DaSwede
Contributor
Corporal

I can't get over the asymmetrical look and low ground clearance. I'm TR and regardless how much I try I just can't like the Prowler.

Comparing it to the Vanny and Mag it almost looks like something that was thrown together of left over textures and mesh models over a coffee break.

TR is supposed to be the most militarized of the factions and this tank doesn't show that.
Scrap and redo it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 2012-04-19, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
atone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tamas View Post
It looks good, pity some people hate asymmetrical items.
ya, it looks good. perfectly symmetrical everything gets boring after a while. we need some iconic vehicles that standout for this game.

Last edited by atone; 2012-04-19 at 07:34 AM.
Old 2012-04-19, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
MGP
Sergeant

New Prowler pic... still looks like shit. Can't wait to blow those foil-armored baby's toys to the skies with my Vanguard (or maybe Reaver).
Old 2012-04-19, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Fara
Corporal

I appreciate the work that goes into the design & creation of these vehicle models. However that being said, why is the Prowler now the smallest of all the tanks? Why must it have an off-centre turret arrangement?

We get the Vanu being all science and hover stuff. The NC being (s)crapheap challenge lets modify a tractor or somthing, so why is it the TR... ie the most militaristic of the three factions left with the smaller hull & offcentre turret?

The chassis looks good if but a little bit smaller than its counterparts, very TR very old Prowler without the high rise rear end. Maybe its just the Turret being too small, too low profile & not intimidating enough? That and I can't help but feel its going to tip over to one side...

Anyhow, excellent craftsmanship as always!

*edit*
Why dont you put another 2 gun barrels on the "Right" side to make it symetrical with the left... I could learn to love a 4 barrel tank >: )

Last edited by Fara; 2012-04-19 at 09:07 AM.
Old 2012-04-19, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
GhundiPI
Private

I like it very much, especially the asymmetry of the turret. For me that gives it a more futuristic feeling than if it were symmetric and is a nice break from the 'same old, same old'. Besides even in real life new tech is trending on the asymmetrical side these days.
Old 2012-04-19, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Fara View Post
I appreciate the work that goes into the design & creation of these vehicle models. However that being said, why is the Prowler now the smallest of all the tanks?
Acknowledging a long tradition of biased news, there is nothing better than a small sized-vehicle to justify to the public why 180mm Vanguard canons keep smoking Prowlers every single day.

It's like with the Vanu sovereignty: if it was not for malfunctions, there is no way vanguards should beat our mags.

Prowlers -->

You know, afterall, maybe the NC and VS separated because the republic's tanks were just bad and plain terrible to drive ? Just accept simple facts of life: Vanguards are simply the best tank around while Magriders are the most fun.

There is a good news though: you still have some time left to change your mind and switch to the better factions !
Old 2012-04-19, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Canaris
Contributor
General

you know I've been thinking about it and you're right it's definetly the asymmetry I dislike the most, off center things *shudder*

One of the reasons I hated so many ships in EvE.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-04-19, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Shake
Private

I don't mind the asymmetry but I do think the prowler is way worse looking than the vanguard. The vanguard is menacing, sleek, etc. The prowler is small, looks weak, and ironically looks like it was thrown together using scrap metal whereas the vanguard looks manufactured and flawless...

I get that they want the prowler to look fast and all, but honestly if you asked a random person whether the pics of the vanguard or prowler look faster they would say vanguard. People don't associate wide vehicles with speed. The prowler is almost a square whereas the vanguard is a rectangle.

Aesthetics aside the vanguard is just going to be a much better tank IMO. Speed isn't as useful as firepower when it comes to tanks. It's not like I can run circles around other tanks in a prowler, unless their gunners sensitivity is stupidly low he can just rotate the turret and kill me with superior firepower.

Prowler seems like the worst tank aesthetically and functionally.
Old 2012-04-19, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Shake View Post
Prowler seems like the worst tank aesthetically and functionally.
I really like the new position of the barrels the more I think about it, and seems perfectly fine in both aesthetics and functionality. We need to keep in mind that we aren't just driving anymore, we are also in charge of shooting the main tank. We also need to remember that the Terran Republic are focused on speed, which means it'll be more like driving a fast armored vehicle more than a slow lumbering tank. So keeping these things in mind lets look at some of the pictures we have.

This is a really good picture to show my main defense in the design of the new Terran Republic Prowler. First off its smaller than the Magrider and Vanguard, supporting the new focus on speed and mobility for the empire. This smaller size and shorter stature would also make it harder to hit at long ranges, so when you bring faster speed into the mix you can start to see the benefits. The next obvious focal point is the main gun, however I'd like you to look instead at the gunner turret right behind the main gun. It's actually placed right on the main pivoting point of the tank, and sits slightly lower than the other two empires. This should help prevent disorientation while maneuvering around mid-fight. Now lets move on to the main gun.

If you remember from the 45 Mins of GamePlay from GDC, the Vanguard camera was below and to the left of the main cannon. This is because the drivers window is located there, as you can see in the picture above as a dark rectangular window. So I would assume that the Terran Republics driver window is the middle area, top left of where the mouse cursor is pointing. This would mean the driver is positioned directly in the middle of the tank, allowing for potentially more situational awareness and better driving ability. These are all assumptions of course, but I can certainly see how the design can really be a plus for Terran Republic soldiers. As far as the main gun itself lets look at the most recent picture.

The two barrels for the main cannon are now much closer together than the original, hopefully alleviating the constant misalignment issue that plagued the Prowler in Planetside 1. We don't really know the caliber or rate of fire yet, but I'm confident that it will be balanced with the other empires. I would much rather the new Prowler in Planetside 2 than the tortoise of a tank we had in Planetside 1.
Old 2012-04-19, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Shake
Private

I don't think mobility beats firepower for tanks though... The role of a tank to me is to be able to take significant amounts of damage and be able to deal big damage out... The vanguard obviously fits that role best. I really think that making the prowler fast at the expense of firepower and durability is just gimping it. Against a decent vanguard driver the prowler will lose every time. I don't think the mobility will be enough to really make a difference, as long as the vanguard driver has decent aim you're just gimping yourself as a tank driver by playing TR.

Beyond that, I still think that the prowler aesthetically looks stupid. Again, its a square, and I don't think people associate square vehicles with speed. The vanguard, to me, looks much faster with its rectangular shape.

I have no problem with the asymmetrical placement of the main canons by the way. I don't really see that as a disadvantage and to be honest I think it looks quite good. The turret of the tank looks fine to me but its square and scrappy looking base looks stupid IMO.
Old 2012-04-19, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Shake View Post
I don't think mobility beats firepower for tanks though... The role of a tank to me is to be able to take significant amounts of damage and be able to deal big damage out...

I suppose you don't remember the M18 Hellcat then? It was an American tank destroyer of World War II that was the fastest tracked armored fighting vehicle during the war with a top speed up to 60 mph. Hellcat crews took advantage of the vehicle's speed to protect against hits to its thin armor. Many German Panther and Tiger tanks were destroyed because they could not turn their turrets fast enough to return fire which you mentioned in a previous post about the Vanguard. However we'll just have to see how it works during beta.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion