Planetside 2 Needs Prone - Page 37 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Fear the ironleaved trees of Auraxis....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Prone in PS2?
Yes 152 31.21%
No 312 64.07%
Other (Explain) 23 4.72%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-10, 04:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #541
Anderz
Master Sergeant

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

I'm reluctant to weigh into this rather unruly debate, but I'd like to at least test out prone within the game, if it's true that's what they're doing.

From my experience playing FPSs, prone does slow down the game to some degree, but not dramatically. (Personally, I prefer slower-paced FPSs over twitch games like CoD, so I see that as a plus.)

I also agree with Stew in the sense that it allows infantry players to find cover in open environments, especially when confronted by a tank. It's frustrating in games where, despite crouching behind a rock, you're killed because your head is still exposed. It makes playing as an infantry in these huge environments less enticing, leading to what I am concerned will be a vehicle-dominated game.

Furthermore, as a sniper, prone has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is that it reduces your visible profile and makes your shots steadier, but the disadvantage is that your movement and reaction time is restricted, making you an easy target once spotted. As long as you cannot be cloaked when prone, I don't see camping as an issue. People should also keep in mind that camping in situations like is part of warfare tactics and can be off assistance to your team.

So as long as dolphin diving is not possible, and moving whilst in prone is restrictive (similar to BF3), I think prone would be a welcome addition to the game.

Last edited by Anderz; 2012-06-10 at 04:33 AM.
Old 2012-06-10, 04:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #542
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I kind of want prone, just so that I can laugh at how much easier it is to shoot a horizontal body from above when I'm jumping around as a Light Assault

But I really don't give a shit as long as the game mechanics don't make it mandatory or overpowered. Same as with iron sights. Just another way to play the game, as long as the developers don't make it the only way to play the game.

But I'd be just as happy if they kept it out. I don't particularly want to see it and I think it would be a waste of development and balancing time. Just not important enough to the massive scale battles of a Planetside experience IMO.
Old 2012-06-10, 04:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #543
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Fact: nearly 2/3 of PSU voters do not want prone in PS2.
I think the problem with using this argument is that most people voting against it are thinking of an implementation in other games. Ones that allow dolphin diving for instance, and vote out of fear. That is they aren't thinking of it in terms of how it would be implemented if it was placed into the game. I've noticed only a few people have been able to do that in this with reasoned arguments.

That said, it's still an interesting debate for both sides. Seen some good points brought up in the past few pages.
Old 2012-06-10, 04:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #544
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
Stew, what is the point of having prone in the game? Other than having a dolphin dive I don't see the point. Bad company 2 did without prone.
ive already awnser multiple time i will not even spam more but i cant say this

Why not having prone if we can have prone ?
Old 2012-06-10, 04:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #545
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
I'm reluctant to weigh into this rather unruly debate, but I'd like to at least test out prone within the game, if it's true that's what they're doing.

From my experience playing FPSs, prone does slow down the game to some degree, but not dramatically. (Personally, I prefer slower-paced FPSs over twitch games like CoD, so I see that as a plus.)

I also agree with Stew in the sense that it allows infantry players to find cover in open environments, especially when confronted by a tank. It's frustrating in games where, despite crouching behind a rock, you're killed because your head is still exposed. It makes playing as an infantry in these huge environments less enticing, leading to what I am concerned will be a vehicle-dominated game.

Furthermore, as a sniper, prone has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is that it reduces your visible profile and makes your shots steadier, but the disadvantage is that your movement and reaction time is restricted, making you an easy target once spotted. As long as you cannot be cloaked when prone, I don't see camping as an issue. People should also keep in mind that camping in situations like is part of warfare tactics and can be off assistance to your team.

So as long as dolphin diving is not possible, and moving whilst in prone is restrictive (similar to BF3), I think prone would be a welcome addition to the game.
thanks god i wish i could be good as you in english speaking
Old 2012-06-10, 04:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #546
mynameismud
Corporal

I do not want to walk into a control point and see my whole squad lying on the ground waiting for things to walk into the room like girls. Making garbage balanced doesn't make it not garbage.
Old 2012-06-10, 04:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #547
Anderz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
Stew, what is the point of having prone in the game? Other than having a dolphin dive I don't see the point. Bad company 2 did without prone.
And I hated BC2 for it!
That being said, a lot of my frustration had to do with the destructible cover, which meant that if you were in the line of fire by a tank, you were toast. Either because it would blow away whatever you were crouching behind, or because your head would be popping out from behind cover.

The fact that cover is not destructible in PS2 will make this less frustrating, but I'd still like to see prone in the game.
Old 2012-06-10, 04:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #548
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I think the problem with using this argument is that most people voting against it are thinking of an implementation in other games. Ones that allow dolphin diving for instance, and vote out of fear. That is they aren't thinking of it in terms of how it would be implemented if it was placed into the game. I've noticed only a few people have been able to do that in this with reasoned arguments.

That said, it's still an interesting debate for both sides. Seen some good points brought up in the past few pages.
I think it's not really a case for reasoned arguments, it's purely a game design decision. You can implement prone really badly (allowing dolphin diving) or really well (like in the ArmA series). It just doesn't fit the style of this game is all. It's so obvious that I remember Higby saying months and months ago, almost when PS2 was first announced, that there wouldn't be prone. First thing I heard was no BFR's, second thing was no prone.

It just doesn't belong in a game like this. It'd be like adding prone to Tribes.
Old 2012-06-10, 04:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #549
Anderz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by mynameismud View Post
I do not want to walk into a control point and see my whole squad lying on the ground waiting for things to walk into the room like girls. Making garbage balanced doesn't make it not garbage.
But if you throw a grenade into the room, they won't have time to react and get away. Boom.

They might not go prone so much after that.
Old 2012-06-10, 04:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #550
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

You shouldn't be able to find cover in an open field, that's the whole point of having open fields. That's the whole point of having vehicles that anyone can pull at any time. Some areas of the game will be dominated by vehicles, it's a design choice that was made some time ago. Others will be dominated by infantry, others by air.
Old 2012-06-10, 04:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #551
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Don't know if anyone has suggested this before:

How about making prone a specific cert for the sniper class?
Old 2012-06-10, 04:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #552
Stew
Major

I also have concern about how the implementation of prone will be , like ive said if its no well done prone will be the worst thing ever like BF2 and BF2mc the prone drop shot was anoying as hell and ive wish it could be remoove

But ive try to putting up some why i saw thats prone could be good for this or thats but iam not good enough in english to be subtile and to explain thats much whats i think i try tho

i could be agains prone and i could be for prone depending on how it will look and feel in game ive been repeating thats but been atacked all the time like i was the pure PRO prone lol

ive said and show how prone could be use for infantry how usefull it could be in planetside 2 in (( non base outpost )) sector to find cover with hillside etc...

so yeah i also would like to see the debate comming back on topic and not see the subject bifurcate to my suposed attitude or anything like thast iam not good as most of you in english so i cant be thats much subtile
Old 2012-06-10, 04:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #553
mynameismud
Corporal

But if you throw a grenade into the room, they won't have time to react and get away. Boom.

They might not go prone so much after that.
I said my squad, i dont care about fighting campers, that's easy like you said.
I care about the flow of combat and not seeing my whole platoon cowering like little girls waiting for the next thing to walk in front of their cross hairs so they can click once and go back to doing nothing.
Old 2012-06-10, 04:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #554
goneglockin
Sergeant

And I hated BC2 for it!
That being said, a lot of my frustration had to do with the destructible cover, which meant that if you were in the line of fire by a tank, you were toast. Either because it would blow away whatever you were crouching behind, or because your head would be popping out from behind cover.
I don't know about you, but I don't play games in the hopes that I will get to spend some quality time virtually lying down. Simulating the thrilling experience of not being able to move for fear of being insta-killed. Not my idea of a good time. The ttks will be higher in this game and you will get more opportunity to move, and have to spend less time eating dirt.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-10, 04:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #555
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I think the problem with using this argument is that most people voting against it are thinking of an implementation in other games.
I'd love to see your evidence for that claim.