Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Becoming a part of your life, one lost job at a time
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: 9sanc v 3sanc
3 empire footholds per continent 33 23.24%
1 empire foothold per continent 109 76.76%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-27, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
TheDrone
Sergeant

Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.

Originally Posted by acosmo View Post
Something you can't spawn an army from. Something you can push through and secure by taking the hexes surrounding it from the other side.

What is important is to be able to put the ball in the other team's field for long enough that the goalie can rest his knees for a minute or two.
What's the difference between taking the hexes around a foothold and going through a gate and taking the hexes around the gate on the other side?

People like home continents. Why? Not for any rational reason. No, because they liked it in PS1. And if it worked in PS1 there's no way another mechanic could work in PlanetSide 2. Because there's only one way to do an mmofps.
Old 2012-03-27, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Vancha
Colonel

One warpsanc per cont in a game with three empires, however, doesn't scale intuitively on a battlefield with more than 3 continents.
"Warpsanc"? Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your concept. Lets say the VS and NC push TR back into their home continent's foothold...Where else can TR fight other than forcing their way out of said foothold?
Old 2012-03-27, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Skittles
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
"Warpsanc"? Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your concept. Lets say the VS and NC push TR back into their home continent's foothold...Where else can TR fight other than forcing their way out of said foothold?
Or, lets say the VS cap one cont, NC one, TR one and all 3 are fighting out of a gate?
Old 2012-03-27, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Raymac
Brigadier General

1. I have a problem with an empire being locked out of 1 or 2 continents when there are 3 continents total. I see that as being a major point of frustration when your entire empire can only have 600 players on 1 server.

2. I don't see ANY difference in the warpgate being a "transit" warpgate or a warpgate sanctuary. The effect will be exactly the same. You can take all the territory leading up to the warpgate, and that empire will still have to launch their counter attack from that warpgate.

It's a clever idea, but I don't see it as solving any issues but instead creating more. The only thing it serves is the nostalgia of a continent turning a pretty color on the global map. If you really want that, go buy a coloring book.

Old 2012-03-27, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Arius
Corporal

Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
Or, lets say the VS cap one cont, NC one, TR one and all 3 are fighting out of a gate?
That remembers me of somekind of MMO space game, with warpgates. *shudders*
Old 2012-03-27, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
ThGlump
Captain

I like that. I give you chance to conquer your whole continent, but...

There is one problem with 1sant per cont. Where will you log in? If your home continent is full, there is no separated place to log you safely in.
I dont know how it will be with 3per cont either. You choose cont in login screen? In case of queues you will wait at login screen? (in separated sanct you could do something).

With limiting it to 1sanct those problems will be bigger.
Old 2012-03-27, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
I like that. I give you chance to conquer your whole continent, but...

There is one problem with 1sant per cont. Where will you log in? If your home continent is full, there is no separated place to log you safely in.
I dont know how it will be with 3per cont either. You choose cont in login screen? In case of queues you will wait at login screen? (in separated sanct you could do something).

With limiting it to 1sanct those problems will be bigger.
EXACTLY. So you wait in the login screen. How could you ever amass enough people to retake a continent? And then once they go through the warpgate and don't secure a spawn point, do they get booted from the server because people in the login queue were finally able to take their spot on the home continent? Somebody will have to get booted.

Or say you are pushed out of one continent and your "home" continent is already pop locked...well you don't get to play anymore, buh bye.

This creates WAY more fundamental problems than it solves.

Last edited by Raymac; 2012-03-27 at 01:41 PM.
Old 2012-03-27, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Ait'al
Contributor
General

The only thing I hope doesn't exist is the lattice. I hated the lattice. Took all the strategy out of the game. Made the game only for dults. Once you do that there is no returning until you return the environtment. I want smart play...

Maybe they will put in sanc battles. 8) did they say the how the 9 things will function? How much is being assumed?

There is no point in a vote if there is no specifics on how it will function. It kind of matters. 8p

Last edited by Ait'al; 2012-03-27 at 02:05 PM.
Old 2012-03-27, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Stardouser
Colonel

[U]
snip
tl;dr 9 sancs vs 3 sancs.
Tell me if I'm completely wrong here but...essentially if a "shard/server/realm" has 3 continents, and if there's little motivation to assault through warpgates, then each continent would almost behave as if it were a subserver of its parent server?

Originally Posted by Ait'al View Post
The only thing I hope doesn't exist is the lattice. I hated the lattice. Took all the strategy out of the game. Made the game only for dults. Once you do that there is no returning until you return the environtment. I want smart play...

Maybe they will put in sanc battles. 8) did they say the how the 9 things will function? How much is being assumed?

There is no point in a vote if there is no specifics on how it will function. It kind of matters. 8p
If what you mean is, you want the freedom to attack any backbase/behind the lines base, I'm with you.
Old 2012-03-27, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

With 3 sancs the game (until there are more conts) will always be a double-team. I want threeways to keep happening.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-03-27, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Has anybody ever confirmed that you can pull equipment that requires base benefits from a foothold?

Why is the assumption out there that footholds mean you can always pull a galaxy, etc?

The only thing I'm assuming you can do behind a foothold's shield, no matter how much or how little space you have, is access equipment and vehicle terminals, and perhaps have some room to stage and organize with the gear you're able to pull.

It could be *less* beneficial than having a sanctuary warpgate to a continent.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-27, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

As Cutter put it so eloquently...

Foothold = Sanctuary + Warpgate - Loading Screen

This speeds up the pacing of the game and removes the crappiness that was continent locks. Not having this will lead to worse gameplay.
Old 2012-03-27, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Graywolves
General

I think in the future, they are going to have to make it 1 foothold anyways as they include more continents.

Otherwise we just eventually have 6 continents that everyone randomly fights over.
Old 2012-03-27, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

They should just make the footholds look really jazzy and call them "Sanctuaries".

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-03-27, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Stardouser
Colonel

I was thinking that, OK, each empire has a foothold on each continent. OK, no problem. But, each empire could have a "home continent" which means that on its home continent, its foothold is more powerful than its foothold on the other 2 continents. As of right now, I'm not sure how the "home" foothold could be more powerful...

But, assuming a proper way of having a "home" foothold is found, consider this: You have an advantage on your home continent, obviously, by virtue of a more powerful foothold. But on the other two continents, you might need to coordinate troop movements both out of the foothold and through the warpgates in order to have a big enough assault going to make any progress.

In other words, once you secure your home continent, and have some troops dedicated to keeping the enemy backed up into their footholds on your home continent(and since the enemy footholds will by definition be weaker ones, this should be possible), you can think about shifting the focus to another continent by fighting from the foothold on that continent and coordinating assaults through the warpgates. In fact, you could choose to totally ignore one continent completely and focus on two - defending your home continent, and focusing on conquering only one of the other two.

You could even, perhaps do this strategy: dedicate most of your forces to capturing the other two continents, and leave a skeleton crew on your home continent. Their job could be to run around doing ghost hacks or the equivalent to stir up their attention on your home continent, and then fall back to the home foothold, while the bulk of your forces attack the other two continents. Hard to say exactly how you'd run this strategy at the moment or if it would even work.

Note: I used the term "home continent" but it's more like "area of greater influence". The fact remains that you have a foothold on all continents.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-03-27 at 03:15 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion