FlakMan
Colonel

Craters

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impacteffects/

[-collection-] [-wishlist-] [-muse-] [-mars volta-] [-devart-] [-ljournal-]
Old 2004-04-15, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
OfaLoaf
Colonel

Yay. If a meteor hit Detroit I wouldn't die.
Old 2004-04-15, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Infernus
Lieutenant General

You wouldn't die immeadiatly... the website only calculates crater size... chances are there would be radioactive fallout (depending on composition and mass) or the sheer force of the seismic shockwave could literaly rip you apart... 'course I'm talking doomsday mass, below that is very different...
Old 2004-04-15, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

It wouldn't be radioactive . You're talking about a 2 year winter that is caused by massive dustclouds blocking out the sun.
Old 2004-04-15, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Infernus
Lieutenant General

By all means it would be radioactive... your talking about massive peice of cosmic rock teraing a whole in the o-zone... thats why I said it depends on the size... if the asteroid is big enough it will open the floodgates for UV rays...

EDIT: One more thing... we do not know the entire composition of wayward celestial bodies... Flash frozen iron, plus plenty of possibly radioactive materials... all of which would be pulverized on impact and scattered...

Last edited by Infernus; 2004-04-15 at 07:20 PM.
Old 2004-04-15, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm sorry but an asteroid hitting the earth does not produce a nuclear, or radioactive explosion of any kind. It does however if large enough produce a massive dustcloud. It also won't "tear a hole in the ozone" permanently. It is nowhere large enough to have a profound effect on the ozone.
Old 2004-04-15, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
OfaLoaf
Colonel

It depends on the size of the asteroid.
Old 2004-04-15, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Spee
Colonel

Originally Posted by OfaLoaf
It depends on the size of the asteroid.

If Mars hit us, it would disrupt the ozone.

Move your hand through the air. Did you create a total vaccum, devoid of O2? Maybe for an iota of a second. Ozone is o2....with another O attached to it. Ozone would be like "OSHIT HERE COMES A BIG ASS ROCK!!!111" then be pushed away, then come back saying "Man. That was a big fookin' rock, eh?"

Im assuming all O3 molecules are canadian.
Old 2004-04-15, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Infernus
Lieutenant General

Fallout n. 1.The slow descent of minute particles of debris in the atmosphere following an explosion, especially the descent of radioactive debris after a nuclear explosion. 2.The particles that descend in this fashion.
A rock hitting the earth at a massive speed would cause an explosion... the dust cloud would contain radioactive particles that were part of the asteroid... while most noteably the word fallout is used to describe the effect of a nuclear explosion it can be applyed to any explosin thats leaves articles light enough to be despersed across a large area over an amount of time produces fallout... Radioactive Particles= Radioactive fallout...

... ... why I feel liek arguing this so much I have no idea ... besides nobody knows what will happen... the only cataclysmic event on this scale that ever happened on this planet is undocumented, all we know is that it killed a bunch of big lizards...
Old 2004-04-15, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

ew....I hope O2 molecules arent canadian too, because Id hate to have that inside of me.
Old 2004-04-15, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Infernus
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by JetRaiden

ew....I hope O2 molecules arent canadian too, because Id hate to have that inside of me.
Old 2004-04-15, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Kaikou
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Spee

Move your hand through the air. Did you create a total vaccum, devoid of O2? Maybe for an iota of a second. Ozone is o2....with another O attached to it. Ozone would be like "OSHIT HERE COMES A BIG ASS ROCK!!!111" then be pushed away, then come back saying "Man. That was a big fookin' rock, eh?"

ROFL

Very well put. There would be no radiation from a big chunk of rock hitting earth unless that big chunk of rock was radioactive to begin with. Same as throwing a rock at a pile of sand. That's all an asteroid crashing into earth is, only super sized.
Old 2004-04-15, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hezzy
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Spee

Old 2004-04-15, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Infernus1080
A rock hitting the earth at a massive speed would cause an explosion... the dust cloud would contain radioactive particles that were part of the asteroid... while most noteably the word fallout is used to describe the effect of a nuclear explosion it can be applyed to any explosin thats leaves articles light enough to be despersed across a large area over an amount of time produces fallout... Radioactive Particles= Radioactive fallout...

... ... why I feel liek arguing this so much I have no idea ... besides nobody knows what will happen... the only cataclysmic event on this scale that ever happened on this planet is undocumented, all we know is that it killed a bunch of big lizards...
Yet you are assuming that the asteroid is itself composed of radioactive material which is highly doubtful. You are describing a highly unlikely situation, which in your first post you made very unclear, making you sound like you're crazy.
Old 2004-04-15, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Infernus
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Smaug
Yet you are assuming that the asteroid is itself composed of radioactive material which is highly doubtful. You are describing a highly unlikely situation, which in your first post you made very unclear, making you sound like you're crazy.

I am crazy... ...u didn't know?

/me hides in the corner babbling crazily...
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge